FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Picked my first crawlers of the year  (Read 5998 times)

bbfrogger

Re: Picked my first crawlers of the year
« Reply #30 on: Mar 28, 2021, 08:24 PM »
Thought they would be thick tonight after the hard rain but just too windy by me - the ones that were out were super jumpy - only got 37 in about 20 minutes before I decided there would be better nights ......

taxid

« Reply #31 on: Mar 28, 2021, 08:25 PM »
keep them in icewater while fishing, make sure water stays cold. another trick is pack them in container with wet  news paper  over fill container and put lid on making a pressure pack.   again  keep them cold.  they will  bulk up and be very lively.  not for long term storage.  been doing  it for years   idea came from old book called nightcrawler secrets, from the 70s. no longer in print.

Was that the Lunkers Love Nightcrawlers sold by Fishing Facts Magazine?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #32 on: Mar 28, 2021, 10:19 PM »

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #33 on: Mar 29, 2021, 05:49 AM »
I think every "good" walleye fisherman has a copy of that...h2l

filetandrelease

« Reply #34 on: Mar 29, 2021, 06:15 AM »
 Hunts your right they do , these days I just troll spoons and sticks and no spinners and I haven’t  tipped hair jigs in a very long time
 These are my personal choices
 When I did keep worms I tried the news paper , but I have a bud that’s a rep for buss bedding , works great , kept cold , and coffee grounds , the caffeine makes gives them jumpy ,
 Once some body spilled that brown crap in the boat what a mess that was
 Keeping worms in a ziplock bag in the cooler in the boat works fine

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #35 on: Mar 29, 2021, 07:42 AM »
keep them in icewater while fishing, make sure water stays cold. another trick is pack them in container with wet  news paper  over fill container and put lid on making a pressure pack.   again  keep them cold.  they will  bulk up and be very lively.  not for long term storage.  been doing  it for years   idea came from old book called nightcrawler secrets, from the 70s. no longer in print.

I remember the first time I tried the newspaper trick. I did a few dozen for the harnesses and Lindy rigs. I couldn't believe how much they changed. Bigger and defiantly more lively. Almost had to step on them to calm them down. It does work, but as Fishfetcher said, Keep them cold.

wallyworld

« Reply #36 on: Mar 29, 2021, 07:49 AM »
The ice water bath is a must  :thumbup_smilie:  Not only are they plumper and livelier, they're also squeaky clean  ;)

bbfrogger

« Reply #37 on: Mar 29, 2021, 08:37 AM »
Won't be any picking by me today - got an inch of snow on the ground with 50 mph gusts ....  :o

taxid

« Reply #38 on: Mar 29, 2021, 09:44 AM »

Yep that's it! I remember as a teenager and even later looking forward to reading my monthly copy of Fishing Facts magazine! Ah those were the days when I thought every lake had 10 pound bass. Ignorance was bliss!

How about Buck Perry's spoonplugging book? Anybody try spoonplugging?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

reeleyz

« Reply #39 on: Apr 10, 2021, 07:22 AM »
I took the kids picking worms last night. That was worth the price of admission.   ;D

They got into the swing of it after a while.

bbfrogger

« Reply #40 on: Apr 10, 2021, 08:18 AM »
hahaha - I bet there was a lot of enthusiasm !!  I had my step son and some neighborhood kids "help" me dig potatoes from the garden when they were little - there was too much enthusiasm - they wanted to dig up the whole yard to look, not just where I planted them - hahaha

reeleyz

« Reply #41 on: Apr 10, 2021, 08:25 AM »
There was definitely plenty of enthusiasm! I had to about drag them back to the truck.

fishinjohn

« Reply #42 on: Apr 10, 2021, 09:46 AM »
There was definitely plenty of enthusiasm! I had to about drag them back to the truck.
As soon as we get a little rain I'm gonna get my little man out there... he loves to make a competition out of it.. he thinks he can out pick me

reeleyz

« Reply #43 on: Apr 10, 2021, 11:41 AM »
 :thumbup_smilie:
As soon as we get a little rain I'm gonna get my little man out there... he loves to make a competition out of it.. he thinks he can out pick me

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #44 on: Apr 10, 2021, 01:34 PM »
i picked up 3 doz ...right at wal mart
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.