FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fish and Mushroom report  (Read 7515 times)

Perch-Pirate

Re: Fish and Mushroom report
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2021, 05:31 PM »
I wish I could find them in my area(central NY) I’ve looked and looked but can’t ever seem to find them...

Piggyn

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2021, 08:43 PM »
Hunted morels and fished with my good friend Don on Wednesday 5/12 in the Ashley, Indiana area. The nest with eggs are killdeer.

That looks like a great day!
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

fishinator

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2021, 10:48 AM »
That's odd you guys had such a good shroom season. Here in north west I had one of my worst. Went one last time yesterday and found about a dozen dried up. Probably doesn't help I mostly hunt public ground and a lot of my areas got hit by the thrasher.

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2021, 04:04 PM »
I have some railroad tracks that I find a bunch every year ,this year it was crazy good,north slopes were carpeted with them.I went through and picked ,then back through in a week and more popped up.I walked through one more time today and found only one.I believe it’s done for the most part,if you wanted to really search the heavy overgrowth in deep in the woods you could probably find a few fresh ones.Me and ticks don’t mix so I’m done

2LMKR2

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2021, 05:50 PM »
This wasn't the best mushroom year I have ever had, but it was definitely well above average for me. Been fixing all we can eat multiple times a week and I froze more than ten pounds to enjoy through the rest of the year.

treepotato

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2021, 02:20 AM »
Howdy sir, I freeze some of my excess mushrooms as well but sometimes with limited success. Could you share with me the process you use to freeze yours? thanks

2LMKR2

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2021, 06:56 AM »
Howdy sir, I freeze some of my excess mushrooms as well but sometimes with limited success. Could you share with me the process you use to freeze yours? thanks

I cut them in half length wise, clean and flower them just like I would to fry them but then layer them between sheets of waxed paper in an air tight tupperware container. When your ready to eat them, take out just what you want from the container, still frozen, and put them right into the hot skillet. I like to save some to have venison steak and mushrooms around Christmas time. Makes the winter seem a little shorter for me!

fishinator

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2021, 07:52 AM »
I have had good results blanching, breading, freezing on a sheet then vacuum sealing. Unfortunately I didn't find enough to freeze this year. On the positive side though, I have a freezer full of panfish and the good bite hasn't even started yet.

abishop

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2021, 08:28 AM »
I have de-hydrated them. Lasts for years in freezer.

Hexagenia51

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2021, 07:17 AM »
Hunting rooms on railroad tracks isn’t the best idea in my opinion. If you ever saw how the railroad crew sprays the right of way along the tracks, you might look for a less toxic area! Just my opinion of course. Railroad Cops can also arrest you for trespassing. I’ll just hunt the woods! Hex

fishinator

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2021, 07:59 AM »
Hunting rooms on railroad tracks isn’t the best idea in my opinion. If you ever saw how the railroad crew sprays the right of way along the tracks, you might look for a less toxic area! Just my opinion of course. Railroad Cops can also arrest you for trespassing. I’ll just hunt the woods! Hex
I stopped picking asparagus along the roadsides for that reason. Had a friend pick some that had been recently sprayed but hadn't died. He got very sick.

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2021, 08:32 AM »
I know railroads spray to keep weeds and brush down but I would think they wouldn’t grow or come up.I’m looking in the tree lines away from tracks and on slopes or hills.If the weed chemicals were present I would think there wouldn’t be any growth at all just my opinion

2LMKR2

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2021, 03:44 PM »

I definitely agree! Watching them spray with their water cannon along my place, looked more like a fire truck or something for crowd control!   

Dinkgetter

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2021, 07:49 AM »
Looked for morels early on Thursday 5/27 in the Ashley, IN area. Used a small branch shaped like a hockey stick to move the skunk cabbage and other plants to the side to look around them. It had rained 3/10ths a couple days prior and hoped some might have popped out. Did not find any. Saw some gilled mushrooms on an old stump and also saw a broke down sugar shack. Glad some of you mentioned about herbicides and morels. Couple weeks ago hunted a prime spot by RR tracks and fields that had recently been sprayed. Did not find any. Went fishing at a private pond at 10 AM. My friend Don used worms on a plain hook and caught 25. I used mini-mite tipped with spike and ice fish jig with spikes and caught 10. Guess they wanted the worms. We fished 2.5' deep under bobber in 3-5 fow. Beds every where.

Praying Mantis egg case is from garden on 5/22 at 8:30 AM

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2021, 07:58 AM »
Wow! I have never seen a praying mantis egg case before, let alone baby praying mantis. Such a cool insect. Don’t see many around. My son is going to be 13 and he has only ever seen 1 his entire life. We spend a lot of time in the outdoors too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.