FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kayak Fishing Western NY  (Read 1566 times)

Vash

Kayak Fishing Western NY
« on: May 06, 2021, 12:56 PM »
Anyone out there have a recommendation for a fishing kayak that's good for western NY fishing?  I am torn between the entry level ones for around $300 and the mid range ones that can get up there quickly.  Are the extra features worth it for our area?

Also any suggestions on places that are good to go for a first timer?  Easy to launch/retrieve vs where you have to park, not a lot of paddling to get to a good fishing spot etc?

Any help is appreciated.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Kayak Fishing Western NY
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 02:15 PM »
Anywhere on the canal can be great for a kayak.....and fishing.  Many places to launch. Didn’t say where you’re located. But there’s a really nice place to launch at the lock 30 park. They have a special u-shaped dock for kayaks only. The fishing around there is pretty darned good as well.

I’ve been looking at a sit on at Wally World for some time. But, I still have my boat so I’m not ready to pull the trigger. Besides, I’m 71 and a motor is a good thing at my age.

I’m sure there’s many others on here with way more knowledge of kayaks.
Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Vash

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 02:51 PM »
Thanks for the info, I did forget to add that I am Rochester / Buffalo.  I spend about the same amount of time in each.  From shore I have hit the peers and Long Pond, from a boat Ontario/Erie and some of the finger lakes.  Was looking for something I can just throw in the truck and go without having to hook up the boat and go through the extra steps to get out quick after work some days.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 05:01 PM »
Glenwood Lake in Medina would be a nice fit. Can’t speak to the launch but I know there is a HP limit so boat traffic shouldn’t be an issue

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 05:08 PM »
Well, don’t discount the canal in any of its length. It’s a really good fishery.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 05:52 AM »
Well, don’t discount the canal in any of its length. It’s a really good fishery.

Rg

Agreed, just providing options

claymore6

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 06:37 AM »

Vash

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 07:18 AM »
Thanks everyone

CNYperchsearch

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 08:34 AM »
Here is another option to consider.
I use a solo canoe with a kayak paddle. The canoe is an Old Town Discovery model the is very durable, has lots of room, weighs less than 50 pounds, and price is comparatively good. I just slide it into the back of my pickup and go.
Besides using it for fishing, it works well for other family outings at the water.  Above all else it is useful during hunting season.  Last bow season it was very instrumental in taking a nice buck.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 09:08 AM »
There’s a guy who fishes the canal near me who’s got a pretty neat setup. He’s a machinist which helped him a lot in designing the system he built.

It’s a sit on kayak with an off the side mount for an electric trolling motor. He took the control head off the shaft and mounted it vertically to a steering mechanization next to the seat. He uses it like a joy stick to adjust speed, foreword and reverse and steering. The steering is a cable system that’s geared so he can rotate the motor 360 degrees by moving the handle from vertical to horizontal either foreword or back.

It’s really effective and well done.

Rg

yankmyline

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 03:14 PM »
Did he get it registered?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 04:11 PM »
Heck if I know. Don’t really care either.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.