FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Perch Fillets  (Read 3511 times)

yankmyline

Perch Fillets
« on: May 10, 2021, 12:32 PM »
How long does it take to clean a limit of perch? It usually takes me about an hour and a half to get the job done. That includes vacuum packing.

Ice Dawg

Re: Perch Fillets
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 01:03 PM »
I would say it depends on the number of Perch in a limit. Here a limit is 15.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

fishinator

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 01:45 PM »
About 30 to 40 seconds a fish with an electric knife.

Snitch#8

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 03:16 PM »
Lots of variables.  Already stated, how many is in a limit.  Do you want them scaled then filleted?  Filleted and skinned?  Scaled, gutted and left on the bone?  My personal preference!  I like the bones and skin on, as I find they have more flavor.  When I'm cleaning them for my wife and daughter, son doesn't like fish for some odd reason, I scale them and then fillet them.  That take about a minute a fish.  If I have a large number to scale I'll use my 30 gallon drum scaler and do about 50 fish at a time.  That usually takes about 10 minutes to scale a batch.  After that, If I'm filleting it will take another 30 seconds per fish to fillet.  Sooooooo, I can scale and fillet 50 perch in about 35-40 minutes.  That is using a regular fillet knife.  Just don't care for the electric knives, as I have a hard time feeling the bone with one.  This is probably more info then you wanted but your question was somewhat vague.  If you have never had perch scaled and gutted with the bones in them, try them.  There is definitely a big difference in flavor. 
As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!

bbfrogger

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 03:19 PM »
Lots of variables.  Already stated, how many is in a limit.  Do you want them scaled then filleted?  Filleted and skinned?  Scaled, gutted and left on the bone?  My personal preference!  I like the bones and skin on, as I find they have more flavor.  When I'm cleaning them for my wife and daughter, son doesn't like fish for some odd reason, I scale them and then fillet them.  That take about a minute a fish.  If I have a large number to scale I'll use my 30 gallon drum scaler and do about 50 fish at a time.  That usually takes about 10 minutes to scale a batch.  After that, If I'm filleting it will take another 30 seconds per fish to fillet.  Sooooooo, I can scale and fillet 50 perch in about 35-40 minutes.  That is using a regular fillet knife.  Just don't care for the electric knives, as I have a hard time feeling the bone with one.  This is probably more info then you wanted but your question was somewhat vague.  If you have never had perch scaled and gutted with the bones in them, try them.  There is definitely a big difference in flavor.

Ugh .... I hate scaling a bunch of fish .... the old lady in the camp next to us use to love the skin on .... I usually did one or 2 for her but then told her that was all I caught that day.  Some times that was true too - hahaha

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 04:34 PM »
Who cares how long it takes. A pile of perch fillets is a pound of perch fillets.

They’re good no matter how long it takes .

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 05:36 PM »

I’ve cleaned a few myself and I’m no speedy Gonzales , and as of yet never met a perch I didn’t like

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 05:39 PM »
You and KP....two of a kind.

I’m close behind.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 05:53 PM »
I typically only keep 20-24 as that’s all I want to clean.
Otherwise I toss them back if the air bladder isn’t popping out.
Rather keep and clean 5 eyes than 50 perch.  Taste the same if bled, chilled, and cleaned properly; and takes less time.

And to be honest, we toss pretty much all fish back because a buddy out there will give me all the pkgs of dozen eye fillets I want.  So why overharvest and waste fish.

I hate cleaning fish.  Sux!

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 05:57 PM »
You and KP....two of a kind.

I’m close behind.

Rg
Well you got a point 😉

KingPerch

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 06:04 PM »
Mmmmmm.... perch!!!😁

“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

regulator

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 06:12 PM »
For some reason when I filet perch, I can't stop envisioning snapping one in half fresh out of the fryer, golden brown on the outside, white, flaky and steamy inside! Now who's hungry!! LOL

filetandrelease

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 06:17 PM »

Ok that’s not very nice regulator 😃

regulator

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 06:19 PM »
LOL, I knew that would spark the imagination and get some mouths watering! ;D

fishinjohn

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 06:34 PM »
I had perch for dinner tonight