FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Big Carp Chronicles  (Read 14049 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Big Carp Chronicles
« Reply #30 on: Jun 03, 2021, 04:43 PM »
Carpin’ in the morning. I’ll go set some field corn before I take my walk then go back and set up. It’s gonna heat up this week and they’ll be in full spawn. I won’t bother them for 2-3 weeks.

Time to hit the streams for a while.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #31 on: Jun 04, 2021, 07:39 AM »
5 for 5 this morning.

They were very feisty this morning. The blow back rig works like a charm. All fish were hooked in the lower lip.

The flock came by to visit.

Nice morning.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #32 on: Jun 04, 2021, 08:19 AM »

Looks like a fun morning 🎣

youngster

• Just Do IT
« Reply #33 on: Jun 04, 2021, 08:23 AM »
awesome, looks like a great time,,    been busy last couple weeks and afraid i missed the best time but after the 24 hr deluge we got i might have to wait awhile longer . thanks for pics,, im gonna have to check the blowback rig.. goodluck stay safe

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #34 on: Jun 04, 2021, 09:00 AM »
Im going to tie some up later (after I clean my hobby room....looks like a bomb went off in there) I’ll post some pics and instructions.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #35 on: Jun 04, 2021, 11:09 AM »
Way to go Bob..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #36 on: Jun 04, 2021, 01:28 PM »
Thanks guys. It’s always fun when stuff works.
Tied up some rigs today. Took a couple hours to find my bench.

Anyway, here’s the tackle I’m using to do these “blow back rigs” . I’m sure there’s a thousand ways to do these, this is just what I’ve been doing.

30 lb removable skin leader
Anti tangle sleeves
Korda #6 wide gape X hooks
Medium rig rings
Medium shrink tube. This is some kind of low temperature silicone shrink tube. Not what I’m used to seeing.
The little orange tool strips the coating off the leader and exposes just braid.

So....strip about 3” of the skin off the leader and tie a knot less snell on the hook

Slide the rig ring on the hook and tie the tag end to it with a simple overhand knot. The ring should be just at the bend of the hook and not able to travel around the bend. Tie an overhand knot to make the hair.

It about a 1” piece of shrink tube and slid it onto the leader and over the knot

Thread an anti tangle sleeve onto the leader small end towards the hook. I use a bobbin threader to do this.

Tie an overhand knot in the end of the leader and attach a good swivel

Slide the anti tangle sleeve over the lower eye of the swivel, gently heat the shrink tube holding the leader at 45* to the hook and let it cool. Doesn’t take much.boiling water works very well.

There you have it.

Sounds complicated but it’s not really.  They really do work.
Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #37 on: Jun 04, 2021, 04:35 PM »
Here’s a good video about these rigs. I do them a bit differently, but that’s just me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPIoO8GzSII

I’ve gotten a lot of good tips from this guy. He’s pretty basic and a good carp fisher.
Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #38 on: Jun 04, 2021, 06:31 PM »
Pretty close here. I’d guess the next warmup will set them off. 4 males and only one female today. When they start, it’ll be 3 weeks or so till they get to feeding again. Although, I might try them anyway. Never know who’s hungry

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #39 on: Jun 05, 2021, 07:52 AM »
The carp shooters around here stick mostly to the bays. Carp in the canal are pretty much left alone except for those who fish for them.

Went 3 for 3 this morning. Only fished for a couple hours. Got very warm .....fast.

This one was a tank. Took me almost all the way across the canal. Drag wouldn’t hold him.

And a bullhead of all things.

Decided to upgrade my carp reel. Ordered a KastKing SharkyIII bait runner reel. Should get it tomorrow. Gonna spool it up with Spyderwire Stealth Smooth 30lb.  I’ll pair it with my 8’ Ugly Stick Catfish rod. Reel will be here tomorrow.

I’ll give it e review after I use it. Gonna be a hot one here today so I’m planning to spend some time at the fly bench. Need to tie up some bass and pike flies to try. I’ll probably take the 10’ 6 wt out tomorrow morning at first light and see what I can chase down.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #40 on: Jun 06, 2021, 02:42 PM »
Got the new reel today. It’s a big bugger.

First impression is it’s smooth as bee’s knee. No detectable backlash, the bait runner and drag seem to work very well. The main drag seems very smooth as well. Big, comfortable handle. Plenty of leverage. Came in a nice bag with a spare spool and extra fiber washers for the drag system.
I spooled it up with 30 lib spiderwire EZ braid. Couldn’t find any of the Stealth Smooth.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning…..early…..probably be done by 7:30 am.

Have my eye on a 9’ ugly stick medium action rod for playing with these beasts.

Rg

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #41 on: Jun 06, 2021, 02:59 PM »
I saw a bunch of them spawning on my walk this morning. A couple real beasts, too.
This was in the marina and main lake.
Good luck with the new rig tomorrow!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #42 on: Jun 06, 2021, 03:07 PM »
I’ve been getting mostly males the past few trips. Man they fight.

Must be getting wound up.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #43 on: Jun 07, 2021, 07:18 AM »
Got out early this morning, around 4:30. Put out some pack bait and corn and set up. Went 1 for 3 and that was that. They’re going into spawn now. They were thrashing around and cruising the shorelines.

I’ll probably try one more time tomorrow, but it’s most likely going to shut down for a few weeks.

On another note, the new reel is a dream. Baitrunner worked great, drag was super smooth and it’s got some serious winching power. I’ll give it another few outings and probably buy another. Pretty remarkable reel for just under $70.

Rg

mcully

« Reply #44 on: Jun 07, 2021, 08:11 AM »
Got the new reel today. It’s a big bugger.

First impression is it’s smooth as bee’s knee. No detectable backlash, the bait runner and drag seem to work very well. The main drag seems very smooth as well. Big, comfortable handle. Plenty of leverage. Came in a nice bag with a spare spool and extra fiber washers for the drag system.
I spooled it up with 30 lib spiderwire EZ braid. Couldn’t find any of the Stealth Smooth.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning…..early…..probably be done by 7:30 am.

Have my eye on a 9’ ugly stick medium action rod for playing with these beasts.

Rg
I've been using Kastking braids for a while with no complaints too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.