MFF US Northeast > Pennsylvania

Carp fishing-good activity for this time of year.

(1/3) > >>

nuke1neil:
I grew up near a river ,and as a teenager was always on the prowl for something to do.This time of year seemed like limbo-in between ice and openwater fishing.The open water seemed hard to fish with the weather always changing from warm back to cold.So we would concentrate on the seemingly millions of carp that inhabit the Schuykill River.Hotspots would be at the mouth of a creek and the river,or below the disharge at a power plant.Put on just enough weight to hold in whatever current you had,and put on worms,bread dough,corn,or whatever else you could think of.Prop the rod up on a stick and be ready.Be warned that a 14-16 in. carp can send your rod into the water like a javelin while your back is turned! Seen it myself.24-30+ inchers are not uncommon,and fight like locomotives.One of my "secret" baits is Wheaties,as in the cereal!!!They love it and it stays on the hook like nothing else.Take the box along or mix it at home.Take as much as you can hold with both hands cupped together,and dip your hands under water for just a second or two to moisten the wheaties.Then start crunching them,working the water into it.You probably will have to add more water as you squeeze it and start forming it into about tennis ball size.Squeeze any excess water out and shortly you will have a smooth stiff ball.Sit the ball aside for a couple minutes while you check your hook,drag etc.Than put on enough to cover the hook and wait for rubber lips to suck it in.I have NEVER had it fly off the hook.It dissolves real slow in the water and has a taste the carp LOVE.

USMC130FE:
Neil,  Thanks for the tip.  Could just be the ticket to cure cabin fever thats building up in everyone that loves to fish.

Steve

rgfixit:
Neil,
I just caught your post. I'm a carp addict as well. Tons of fun. Stop by the Carp topic in the Species forum. Even the flyfishers have an interest in these hard fighting fish.
RG

jigerjim:
Hey Guy's you might like this site. carpangler'sgroup.com  ;)

ice1or2:
Beaver river, boat launch, Jerry's frech fries!!! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version