MyFishFinder By Species > Whitefish

Baits for spring whitefish?

(1/3) > >>

JimP:
We catch some big whitefish on occasion, here in Lake Champlain, while fishing from shore with dead smelt, fished on the bottom for lake trout. Is there a preferable bait that is traditionally used for these big lake whitefish? I know the fish are there, almost daily. Later, as the water warms some, I've seen them sipping small insects. But is there a bait I can fish on bottom for them that will work consistently? Thanks!  -Jim

fishinboy:
I have heard of and seen many people catching them off the piers using spawn.

Neptune:
I've heard of people using nightcrawlers floated just off the bottom.  I usually use a small jig of some sort, like a Rattle Snakey and tip it with a couple maggots for taste....

Good Fishing!

JimP:
I'm referring to the big "lake whitefish" we have out here, which reach up to about 7-8 pounds or so? Same fish???? They do not occur in streams, rivers, etc., here. -Jim

Neptune:
Lake Superior Whitefish is what hes refering to MTTrout....  Not the bony little copper bullets you seem to like so much.... 8)

Here in Montana we have lake Superior Whitefish in quite a few lakes but they also occupy some of our rivers.  Now I know they are in the Flathead river, not sure if they are in the Missouri.  Some of the Whitefish that live in Flathead lake actually come up stream to spawn in the fall and you can catch them out of the river when they get on the spawning beds, also when they stage in late summer before going into the river....

Good Fishing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version