FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Potential ban on the sale of panfish by recreational anglers!!  (Read 14648 times)

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
Re: Potential ban on the sale of panfish by recreational anglers!!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 06:55 AM »
This winter I watched 6 guys every day, limit out on panfish on a small local lake. By the end of the winter we had trouble catching any panfish. A couple of more winters like that and the only thing left in that lake will be carp and pickerel. I do believe that The Great Lakes and Lake Champlain could support comercial sales of pan fish but how do you prove they came from their? I support the ban but it will be interesting to see how the DEC enforces it.

MXFisher

• One more cast!
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 11:23 AM »
I think the only people who won't agree with the ban on selling the fish are the ones who are selling them.

I agree they should ban the sale of panfish.

Fishing is not a pastime, it's a way of life.

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 01:24 PM »
MY 2 cents DO NOT ALLOW THE SALE OF FISH.

I do not care about your reasons, it is a old pratice and lets learn from your mistakes!!!!!!!

We all live in this ecosystem, help it !!!!

If your want the job go elsewhere!!!

MY 2 CENTS!!!
Internet heros give it a rest!

adkbrookie

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 02:12 PM »
i don't sell fish and don't think that a statewide ban would be a good thing. it all depends on the body of water. and i agree w/ esox on the netting thing. for certain places i think that a ban would be beneficial. but any ban will be very difficult to enforce.

i heard recently (last weekend) that the problem with the perch size on champlain is thought to be stunting. if it's true then i would think a ban would not be beneficail.

tucker

• central NY, heart of tax and spend
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 02:30 PM »
I do not sell fish but I don't see a problem with it.  If someone buys a license and does not catch over the limit and it is legal what is the problem.

dawg

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 03:40 PM »
 Champain stunted perch still legal to sell perch? Where did this winters catch come from?I can probably name the small ponds and lakes these fish came from that can not handle the pressure. Champlain never froze safely and LG southern had 3 weeks max. The problem is making sure that the fish came from Champlain or Ontario or Erie.But also enforcement needs to cut limits on small lakes that are fished heavy first ice by everyone.
Give a man a fish and he eats for the day. Teach a man to fish and he will keep bait in the fridge

esox slayer

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 04:37 PM »
I disagree.

George, I disagree as well...correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you and I and about 100 others standing out on something that appeared to be ice one day, I think around the 9th of January this year??  I thought it was Lake Champlain........Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

punkinseedzeke

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 05:14 PM »

If your want the job go elsewhere!!!

MY 2 CENTS!!!
?????????????????????????????????

scout57

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 08:00 PM »
well I'm with esox, cny on this one...with gas going over $3 a gal I'm gonna be selling alot more fish.... most of you guys on here don't travel to far to hit your "secret spots" and you all know who you are.....most of you are located down state but refer to yourself's as upstaters (i mean tree huggers)......ill still keep want i want to and sell the rest.. and for anyone that thinks the people who sell fish don't have jobs ill compare w'2s with anybody and then we will see who the dumbass is... like CNY says this is my .02, but i am big enough to withstand any criticism.....well i need some gas money so I'm going fishing....Zeke
this isn't about w'2s and who makes what,it's about protecting the fishery that we have in this state.Everyone who's posted here has good points and some pretty good ideas,but I know that there a few bodies of water where its pretty tough to find fish when a few years back it wasn't.

scout57

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 08:13 PM »
I do not sell fish but I don't see a problem with it.  If someone buys a license and does not catch over the limit and it is legal what is the problem.
hey tucker I would almost agree with you on this if not for the fact that alot of the fish sellers(before I get lynched let me say not all fish sellers are bandits) are not exactly following the rules.Just this year alone I could tell you some stories about illegal activities,its sort of disgusting.I have called the DEC several times.So until the DEC puts more officers in the field to weed out dirt bags,I am in favor of the ban.Just another case of a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch.just my opinion!!!!

rondog

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 08:44 PM »
From the mid 70s to the time they stopped the sale of crappies I was one of the "MEAT HUNTERS".Champlain in the fall and winter ,Saratoga & the mohawk in the spring and summer.We caught and sold alot of fish, and made alot of money.Everyone thought it would never end  or the fish would never run out,but it did .I still go back to the old spots,Peaters bay,Red rock,Pickrel bay in Champlain .Wagers pond and all the back waters in the Mohawk and I can say this lower Champlain has never recovered and the Mohawk has not  done much better.I think the problem started when it went from beer,bait and gas money to guys doing it full time.We had one fish buyer who would meet us on the lake ,pick up the fish and drop off more bait .I have fished with some of the best Crappie fisherman in the state and when they got on em there were no prisoners taken.There was a crew from Mechanicsville and Saratoga who spent most of their time in Coveville on the Hudson that sold thousands of pounds of illeagle fish.It all got out of control.
I don't think selling fish is good for the sport or the fish.It seems any time profit enters a sport greed takes over.
That being said fisherman should be able to make the decision if they want to sell their catch or not.and If I had it to do again I don't think I would.
As far as the stunted fish theory goes I have found the same thing  in lower Champlain

Fishingking

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 09:16 PM »
I disagree.

Me too I fished on Champlain at least 5 times this winter :)  and I dont even live up there
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

billybono

• just passin time till first ice!!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 02:11 AM »
a lot of you guys are talking about illegal sales anyhow. ie crappie

what someone does with there limit of fish is between them and the state.

should handguns  be banned because some people chose to abuse them, almost all of which are breaking the law buying and owning them anyway???

its a slippery slope if ya ask me

more laws will never be the key....enforcement of the ones on the books is

and im sure if the state could find a way to get more of a piece of these sales, this wouldent even be bieng consitered...yall sound like albany isnt worried about whats good for them, but whats good for the fish  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

anyway i like to eat pannies to much to sell em, but i will be keeping every bass out of the infested oswego harbor after the season opens and putting them in the garden  and thats my 2 cents

billybono

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms isn't just a government agency...
It's one heck of a party!!

www.myspace.com/billybono

rondog

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2006, 04:54 AM »
I tried putting Bass in my garden ,They killed all of my plants :( the cat got into them and it killed  the cat 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.