FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Potential ban on the sale of panfish by recreational anglers!!  (Read 14649 times)

bussman

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Potential ban on the sale of panfish by recreational anglers!!
« Reply #75 on: Jun 15, 2006, 04:34 AM »
Just so were all talking about the same thing here, the only fish being sold in NY are pan fish correct? You guys who are for this new law believe the pan fish are in danger of extinction??

esox slayer

« Reply #76 on: Jun 15, 2006, 05:24 AM »
He I know some people sell em and it is a tradition.
Commerical or sport WHY SELL EM? If they want em controlled ease limits?
I just so not like the fact that people can earn profit from our resources?
It not a mine where they own the land.
It is our waters and we have to think about the furture.
I have a nieghbor who use to take all the blue walleye they could in the day NO LIMIT, they are now extinct in lake ERIE.

I know this is a hot topic, but I have seen some of the fish for sale out of sodue I WAS NOT IMPRESSED. Sizes were horrible.

Not trying to turn this into a shouting match...but do you really think a net will take ONLY the fish that are larger??  Sizes will be even worse.

Why sell 'em?  Demand from the public and restaurants, Maybe??  It all sounds pretty good to sit there and say if John Q Public wants a fish dinner then he can go out and catch it himself, but in many cases it's not realistic.

I like king crab, but not well enough to travel to the Bering Strait to get it myself...should I not be allowed to eat it in a restaurant because I didn't catch it myself??  Same for Haddock, etc......Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #77 on: Jun 15, 2006, 08:44 AM »
At one point I would have said flat out, "Ban the sale of fish caught by recreational anglers." Posts by Esox, Bussman and others have caused me to rethink this issue.  Here in the far western part of the state we (or at least I) haven't seen the threat that commercial netting still poses in other areas. You guys have opened my eyes to that.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

tucker

• central NY, heart of tax and spend
« Reply #78 on: Jun 15, 2006, 11:20 AM »
Can you describe the net commercial net fishing to me.  Do they just let the nets sit in front of streams and catch anything that swims or is it more of a targeted fishing procedure.

esox slayer

« Reply #79 on: Jun 15, 2006, 06:46 PM »
Can you describe the net commercial net fishing to me.  Do they just let the nets sit in front of streams and catch anything that swims or is it more of a targeted fishing procedure.

It takes everything, in season or not, small or breeding sized, it doesn't matter.  Them big old breeder walleyes, pike, bass..you name it...the net gets them all.  5 inch perch??  Catches them as well.....the seagulls are in a feeding frenzy after the nets are checked, all the "non keeper" fish that get tossed back that have struggled and are now weak and floating on the surface??  Gull food  !! 

Anybody that thinks that guys selling for money are gonna make the impact on the fishery that netters do....like I said earlier, either they're too young, too inexperienced, or just plain old too uninformed to have seen what will happen if the netters are allowed to be the only ones selling fish.....

Nets usually get set in those nice little honey holes that everybody likes to fish in...nothing like seeing a few hundred feet of those little cork bobbers floating in lines all over a big bay like I live on..knowing that their "limit" on fish is 100 thousand pounds.....Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

PerchandPans

« Reply #80 on: Jun 15, 2006, 07:12 PM »
At one point I would have said flat out, "Ban the sale of fish caught by recreational anglers." Posts by Esox, Bussman and others have caused me to rethink this issue.  Here in the far western part of the state we (or at least I) haven't seen the threat that commercial netting still poses in other areas. You guys have opened my eyes to that.

I have to agree with jerry ofwny , Thank you esox,and bussman . this is a very educational / entertaining site. I would not like to see commercial netting ,never thought it was even an option in the great lake bays or tribs.  You learn something new everyday.

crappieman12887

« Reply #81 on: Jun 21, 2006, 09:43 PM »
 my opion on this subject really goes both ways ,i feel if i buy my lic,i should be able to do what i want with my catch,i have commercial fished for alot of years and there alot of lakes in ny that really need a good cleaning out,(lakes that are over populated for one werwe the fish become stunted,i feel if it a big money problem the state should offer the guy that want to sell there fish a lic for they can sell them ,besides the only fishing i do is panfishing and never once have i heard of or been any weres that the state as stocked panfish,and every one knows that a percent of your lic fees and tacklefees,and boating gas goes into stocking of alot of gamefish, but what about the percent that us panfisherman but in ?/?  you know commercai guys take alot of grief for alot of thing ,i dont mean to come across selfish but i work a 40 pluse weekly job,and with the price of everything going up this allows me to make a couple extra buck ,so i dont have to take away from my needs at home,besides alot of the guys in the north country that bust there butts get laid of in the winter months and everyone know unemployement doesnt pay that well.i could go on this subject for hours,the last thing i will say about commercail fishing is at least the fish are being eaten a not being but in a garden for fertailizer,   ps i invite anyone to comefishing with me and ill show them that not all commercail guy are bad,

crappieman12887

« Reply #82 on: Jun 26, 2006, 04:35 AM »
;D ;D ;D let's hope it gets passed ;D ;D ;D all you fish bandits get a real job,like everyone else ;D ;D ;D
guese what i got a real job,and i also fish on the side,and that fish sandwich you ate last week that you got at the store tasted pretty good did it ,justthink it may have been one of the ones i sold at the market,bill jbb [just busting bbbbbb]

devil-man

« Reply #83 on: Jun 26, 2006, 04:47 AM »
I haven't touched this one so far, but here goes:
When someone has a legal catch in our state they should be able to do whatever the hell they want with it.
Just the devil's two coins...
 8)

stickyfingerdpuppeteer

« Reply #84 on: Jun 26, 2006, 09:33 AM »
Iv never sold fish.But i know light house point grociery store in mayville has bought bull heads for years.I agree with many of you it should be reg.per body of water.I also dont really feel its fair to allow  some guys to go set traps for perch on lake erie,and then out law it for the guy using a rod and real,who can in n.y only take 50 perch, but the trapper can take hundreds.

crappieman12887

« Reply #85 on: Jun 26, 2006, 09:09 PM »
Iv never sold fish.But i know light house point grociery store in mayville has bought bull heads for years.I agree with many of you it should be reg.per body of water.I also dont really feel its fair to allow  some guys to go set traps for perch on lake erie,and then out law it for the guy using a rod and real,who can in n.y only take 50 perch, but the trapper can take hundreds.
you really hit the head of the nail,they should stop the netting and catch them just like the rest of us one at a time hook an line besides if a law get past we are just losing another thing thats been going on before any of us on here were even around,besides there is many of older folksthat injoy it local caught fish that they are not able to get out and catch them selfs,bill

crappieman12887

« Reply #86 on: Jun 26, 2006, 09:22 PM »
It should help the populations in Saratoga and Lake George thats for sure. :thumbup_smilie:
sure you should end up with alot more fish [ smaller in size] once they over populate,bill

crappieman12887

« Reply #87 on: Jun 26, 2006, 09:34 PM »
Those Hudson River Fish should not be hard to find with all them pcbs If the law passes though the sale will have to be in Vt so honeys would lose out  Dealers in Fairhaven and the whole Vermont side would have to do the buying unless Vt joins in
dont you think that money earned here should stay with in are state not go to another come on think about it these guy with hook and lines arent hurting nothing,the guys with the nets,or the state them self does more damage then any commercail fisherman fishing with hook and line could ever do [ and i would be more the glad to show you if you would like];how many fingerling fish do you think go over a weed harvester in a day come up and ill show you]or how many fish die when they put weed killing chemicails in a lake,these are just a couple of thing i seen first hand for my self,bill

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.