FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Recently caught GIANT bass in NY!!  (Read 3573 times)

slipbob

Recently caught GIANT bass in NY!!
« on: Jun 23, 2006, 12:59 PM »
Hey I just saw that there were some MONSTER bass taken so far this year in downstate NY.  The one guy I hear about all the time who catches more big fish than anybody and wins a certain downstate tourney all the time, Tony Montiero, caught a largemouth bass that was 8lbs and change and a 6lbs and change smallmouth which is HUGE for NY state.  This is all since the season opened this year. These monsters were all taken in the NYC water supply system on the east side of the Hudson.  This is the same guy who has caught recorded crappies over 3lbs and perch over 2lbs.  I've never personally seen a bass over 6lbs but 8lbs is crazy.  :o  Also somebody took a 48lb striper out of the Hudson this past May during a two day tourney and another one was entered that weighed 46lbs.   :o :o

archbishop

Re: Recently caught GIANT bass in NY!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2006, 01:06 PM »
time to vacation downstate :tipup:
nah, ill stick around here,
at least we can eat our fish :tipup:

archbishop

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2006, 01:18 PM »
Oh no these fish are from very, very clean water in the Croton watershed.  They're coming out of NYC water supply reservoirs which are about the purest water in the whole state minus the mercury.  Fish are delicious from there and it's beautiful country.  Really not what you would expect when you think "downstate".   ;)  It's rowboats only on big beautiful deep clear reservoirs with some restrictions to keep the "rookies" away and it makes for some nice, nice fishing for everything from big trout to big bass and about the biggest panfish you've ever seen.  This one guy Montiero, regularly catches 3lb crappies, 2lb perch and trout over 10lbs along with walleyes over 10lbs as well just for fun.  :o  Best fishing in the whole state hands down and it's only an hour north of NYC.   8)

im not good with weights, dont have a scale :'( i know over here we have alot of 15"+ calicos and monster trout 24"+ in a few of our lakes, plus lake erie and kinzua/allegany resevoir for the perch and eyes :tipup:

pretty cool you post this though, my thoughts of that area are apparently way off, glad to see the downstate boys have a few good fisheries and clean at that :clapping:

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2006, 01:41 PM »
a 6# SM isnt that big , try getting out on lake erie n you will see for your self
OR      [IMG]

archbishop

« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2006, 01:42 PM »
I am and I can tell you that an "honest" 3.5lb crappie is MUCH bigger than you can imagine.  Lots of guys think they're catching 2lb perch and crappies and have no idea that their supposed big crappie weighs about a pound because they don't have a digital scale.  Any perch over 2lbs and any crappie over 3lbs is a GIANT and likely much bigger than any you or I have ever even seen.   :o  No joke!!  A 3lb crappie will be at least 17".

we have had a few 18-19" calicos taken out of a local pond, 19 1/8" was the biggest i seen, in the local paper, just missed the state record and although i have only heard of or seen pics of the pig perch in lake erie 2# are maybe not common but definitly not rare, and we all know of the kinzua/ allegany res. past few walleye state records came from there, and they say the next one will also, although i cant catch one to save my life, my buddies seem to have no problem, i must have some kind of smell on my hands that walleyes are allergic to? even after your advise my buddies were catching them all around me and i couldnt catch one in a bucket ??? not sure about the gills but i catch a few 11"-13" gills every year, mostly from the ice, i have no idea what the weights on those are ??? maybe i should get a scale :tipup:

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2006, 01:44 PM »
we have had a few 18-19" calicos taken out of a local pond, 19 1/8" was the biggest i seen, in the local paper, just missed the state record and although i have only heard of or seen pics of the pig perch in lake erie 2# are maybe not common but definitly not rare, and we all know of the kinzua/ allegany res. past few walleye state records came from there, and they say the next one will also, although i cant catch one to save my life, my buddies seem to have no problem, i must have some kind of smell on my hands that walleyes are allergic to? even after your advise my buddies were catching them all around me and i couldnt catch one in a bucket ??? not sure about the gills but i catch a few 11"-13" gills every year, mostly from the ice, i have no idea what the weights on those are ??? maybe i should get a scale :tipup:
maybe your hands smell like ASH   lol
OR      [IMG]

Pikeguy

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2006, 01:53 PM »
a 6# SM isnt that big , try getting out on lake erie n you will see for your self

6# Smallmouth is pretty d**n big for the rest of the country.  ::)

archbishop

« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2006, 01:58 PM »
6# Smallmouth is pretty d**n big for the rest of the country.  ::)

not a bass fisherman personally, but most shows i watch say erie is the place for bass ???
plus, im not a great fisherman so i wouldnt catch many anyway, i mostly just catch trout or bullhead no matter what i target? although i did get a few nice bass from silver last year on devil-mans birthday  :tipup:

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2006, 02:14 PM »
Kensico and other ones down there regularly produce huge bass...8lbs is another thing though.  I do know of one upstate NY angler, a very close friend of mine, that landed 2 8lb+ largemouth in one mid-august week last year.  These were fish caught by an avid largemouth fisherman.  He has still never caught one between 5lbs and 8lbs, just happened upon two hawgs.  Maybe I'll post some pics. 

DEC has shocked up a few largemouth exceeding the state record in a few area waterways.  They are here. 

archbishop

« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2006, 02:18 PM »
Kensico and other ones down there regularly produce huge bass...8lbs is another thing though.  I do know of one upstate NY angler, a very close friend of mine, that landed 2 8lb+ largemouth in one mid-august week last year.  These were fish caught by an avid largemouth fisherman.  He has still never caught one between 5lbs and 8lbs, just happened upon two hawgs.  Maybe I'll post some pics. 

DEC has shocked up a few largemouth exceeding the state record in a few area waterways.  They are here. 

wow 2 8#ers in one week :o must have been ready to go pro after that week :tipup: my head would have gotten to big to carry ;D

bigredfishing

« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2006, 02:20 PM »
wow 2 8#ers in one week :o must have been ready to go pro after that week :tipup: my head would have gotten to big to carry ;D

thats the thing, he stayed good about it.  The best part was that he caught both fish on a plastic worm made for him.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #11 on: Jun 23, 2006, 05:11 PM »
thats the thing, he stayed good about it.  The best part was that he caught both fish on a plastic worm made for him.
fish blaster in the hudson river?? just a guess??
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

bigredfishing

« Reply #12 on: Jun 23, 2006, 05:37 PM »
Right lure for both fish

Fish blaster baits 8" plastic worm, cd special was the color - Mike's very own color ;)

One fish from the river, the other from a small lake.

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 23, 2006, 06:35 PM »
I caught a TRUE 7# largemouth 2 years ago, that was around 23" long, and EASILY the largest bass (in terms of both length and girth) that I have ever seen.  To tack on another pound to that is insane, especially for here in NY.  The next night I caught one that was just under 6 pounds....those 2 fish, caught on consecutive nights, remain the biggest bass I've ever caught.  Those NYC reservoirs have some giant bass in them...go to NYbass.com and you'll see what I mean.  Like Bigred said, Kensico and a few other reservoirs down there regularly produce BIG bass...but 8 pounds is just ridiculous!  :o

Oh yeah, and I'd love to see that 3# crappie!  Not that I don't believe it, because I absolutely do, but I just think it would be awesome to see.

-Zach

archbishop

« Reply #14 on: Jun 23, 2006, 06:43 PM »
the state record is 3lbs 12oz this 19"+ calico was just under that, dont remember the article or what the exact weight was 3.8 i want to say, ill try to find the artcle :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.