FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: gut hooked bass  (Read 5864 times)

broken rod

• CPR
gut hooked bass
« on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:12 PM »
 i really hate it when this happens i feel bad when i do it, i always tell my self they will live but do they im going to try out some of those circle hooks this year maybe i can cut down on this problem  :'(
tight lines, chuck

jigginstick

Re: gut hooked bass
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2004, 06:30 AM »
Maybe a more sensitive rod would help you detect the bite quicker and cut down on the fish having enough time to swallow the bait.
Jig,Jig,Jig

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2004, 07:42 AM »
Started  to use circle hooks on senkos work great no more gut hooked fish at all.!!
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

suskymusky

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:13 AM »
I also like circle hooks.They hook fish in the corner of the mouth every time.It takes a while to remember not to set the hook though.I read an article in Feb 2004's In-fisherman about getting hooks out of gut-hooked fish.     "1] Holding the fish by the lower jaw, look to see if the hook is embedded in the right or left side of the gullet(the shank of the hook will lie on the opposite side)If the hook is embedded  on the fish's leftside(shank on the right side), work through the right gill cover, and vice versa.If the hook eye is out of sight,give a light tug on the line and the eye and part of the shank usually emerge.2] Using your finger ,or a dehooking tool,reach in through the last gill arch on that side of the fish and pull on the eye so it rolls out below the gill towards the side of the fish.3] At that point the barb often pops free of the papery white throat tissue.4]Reach into the fish's mouth and grip the bend of the hook,which should be facing out of the fisf's mouth.5]Pull it free.If the fish's mouth is to small, use a needle nosed pliers to grab the hook bend.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2004, 03:41 PM »
I always cut the line on a gut hooked fish.  The hook dissolves in 7 days and the fish lives.  I wouldn't want to attempt to try to remove a hook in the gut,  too risky unless I was going to keep it and I don't keep em.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2004, 07:52 PM »
cut the line, the majority of the fish live, except if they are bleeding. If they are bleeding heavily, please don't throw them back when they are going to die, its a waste.

Also, if it is a river you fish and you like to use worms, bounce it with the current across the bottom and set the hook immediately. I do it with trout and never gut hook them.

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:12 PM »
mike,
  i also cut my line when there deep i just wondered if they make it. im going to try out the circle hooks this year ;D
tight lines, chuck

fastribs85

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2004, 10:01 PM »
ive been using circles for a while and does take getting used to but had one fish swallow it but that was a small circle while fishing for gills and a giant cat ate the nightcrawler go figure a heck of a fight though
naked women and beer we got it all in here

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2004, 10:28 PM »
Sharp hooks are the main point in not hooking fish too deep (pardon the pun). I don't have any problem deep hooking fish on any type of hook. You just have to make sure you set the hook when the bass strikes. Usually the instant it strikes it has engulfed the lure. Set and avoid gut hooking.

Tyler

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2004, 05:46 AM »
I agree with everyone about the corcle hooks.  I am not sure aboutt them myself,  but I will probably check into them this year.

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2004, 06:14 AM »
Everything I have heard about circle hooks is they are a live bait hook???? Will they work on artifical lures???  I use senkos alot and I rarely gut hook a bass woth them, I guess if you fish them enough you can tell the bite fairly quick.

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2004, 06:30 PM »
I don't have it often but if it does happen I will either cut the line and throw them back or take them home because the wife likes to eat them on occasion.

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

bow-n-arrow-man

« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2004, 02:11 PM »
i cut the line also but i dont gut hook too many fish anymore i used too yrs ago but not as often anymore!!
if u cut the line they more than likely will live and get it out on their own !!

kerosenecounty17

« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2004, 06:51 PM »
I caught a bass a couple years ago with 6" of monofiliment hanging out of his back side, so yes, they do survive.  Had to be kind of uncomfortable for him though.

kero

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.