FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga 2021  (Read 106861 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Great Sacandaga 2021
« Reply #585 on: Jul 28, 2022, 07:22 AM »
A couple times early I wished I had brough a sweatshirt. The wind got a little too much in the afternoon. I had to switch up to half oz. jig and that wasn't doing well. There were 7 or 8 boats out on the Northville end early in the morning. I should have started out on the main lake, the fish were there, just didn't have the boat control to jig very well...h2l

Doug do you use a minnkota with spot lock?  Not perfect on windy days but helps a ton.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #586 on: Jul 28, 2022, 07:54 AM »
I know it would help but I don't have a trolling motor on the boat..h2l

mcully

« Reply #587 on: Jul 28, 2022, 09:54 AM »
drift bags work well too at times for control and speed

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #588 on: Jul 28, 2022, 05:48 PM »
Mcully, I have thought of drift bags, but I don't usually make very long drifts.

Iceman, I am planning on going out in the morning. Will look for you if you are out...Good Luck....h2l

lowaccord66

« Reply #589 on: Jul 28, 2022, 08:47 PM »
I know it would help but I don't have a trolling motor on the boat..h2l

Clearly doesnt hurt your numbers overall.  I was a huge fan of drift socks prior to the using spot lock.

iceman260

« Reply #590 on: Jul 29, 2022, 06:04 AM »
H2l couldn't make it out today, had other things to attend to. Hope you had a good day.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #591 on: Jul 29, 2022, 03:54 PM »
Well you didn't miss much. First hit of the day was a pike and it cut me off. I started out in the main part of the lake, nothing. The wind came up out of the WSW and it got rough again, not as bad as on Tuesday. I started working my way back up the lake hitting some of my spots. Ended up with 1 SMB and 3 short walleyes. All South of the bridge. It was a long day, almost 7 hours. Water temp 78*. Had the loon feeding by me again this PM....h2l

lowaccord66

« Reply #592 on: Jul 30, 2022, 10:54 AM »
Well you didn't miss much. First hit of the day was a pike and it cut me off. I started out in the main part of the lake, nothing. The wind came up out of the WSW and it got rough again, not as bad as on Tuesday. I started working my way back up the lake hitting some of my spots. Ended up with 1 SMB and 3 short walleyes. All South of the bridge. It was a long day, almost 7 hours. Water temp 78*. Had the loon feeding by me again this PM....h2l

How deep are those bite offs?

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #593 on: Jul 30, 2022, 04:41 PM »
The one yesterday was just off a hump that goes from about 18 fow to 22 fow. The other one was on top of the same hump. That area seems to hold a lot of pike, a lot of baitfish. My cousin boated a 20+ pounder not too far away about 2 or 3 weeks ago. It is about the only area I fish for pike, usually in Sept., I don't target them very often like I use too...h2l

piscesman

« Reply #594 on: Aug 01, 2022, 05:05 AM »
Fished Fri night, Sat am, pm and Sunday am. Wind Friday and Sat am made for short fishing time. 2 smallies. Sat night went to a different spot and boated 2 keeper eyes. Made another drift and pole goes down. Diving and shaking. Thought I had the walleye of my dreams. Fishing with 8lb main line and 6lb on the jig end. Fortunately, the reel drag worked well. When I finally brought it to the boat, I netted a 33" pike. Took a couple minutes to untangle my net from its mouth. Put back in the water. Noticed a 5" rock bass in the boated too. Couldn't figure why it hit my crawler. After a few minutes while untangling my lines, it kept coming to the surface. Tried to revive it but no use. Ended up filleting it and will have some pike to eat. It should have easily broken my line but didn't. Another mystery. Good Luck to all. Won't be back until Labor Day weekend. Work and vacation..........
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #595 on: Aug 01, 2022, 06:10 AM »
Kim, it has been windy and I bet that end of the lake gets like a wind tunnel at times. Pike on light outfits can be fun but it takes a while to get them in and sometimes over does it. I have ended up keeping a few because of that. It doesn't go to waste. They don't know when to stop eating. I have had them hit walleyes. Way to go on the walleyes. Enjoy your vacation. This summer is going fast....h2l

piscesman

« Reply #596 on: Aug 02, 2022, 05:17 AM »
Thanks, h2l, boated 12 this year with only 2 shorts. Had the pike last night and it was delicious. Vacuumed some for this winter. The wind can be tricky at times. I have a drift sock that helps me maintain a slower drift, so the fish have a better chance to inhale the bait. Too many short strikes when not using drift sock on a once calm lake. You can see the waves pick up from a mile away and brace for impact. Good Luck out there. Walleye must be 18" at the 1,000 islands. That could be a challenge...........
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

iceman260

« Reply #597 on: Aug 02, 2022, 06:06 AM »
Piscesman the fish will be getting a rest until Labor Day when you come back lol. In the meantime H2l and I will try to give them sore lips.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #598 on: Aug 02, 2022, 06:20 AM »
This guy was seen at GSL..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

gotagetm

« Reply #599 on: Aug 02, 2022, 06:49 AM »
That is cool!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.