FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A Double Header  (Read 939 times)

bogtrotter

A Double Header
« on: Sep 10, 2022, 07:05 PM »
I fished the South Hoosic for a couple hours or so this morning.

It was sunny, and about 75 degrees.

I started on the lower end of my milk run in Adams, and caught two fish - - an 11" brown beneath the roll dam between Elm Rock and ALADCO, and then, on my way back upstream, a 14" rainbow by Elm Rock.

Unfortunately, the rainbow swallowed my hook in such a way that it began bleeding, so I decided to keep it for dinner.

Next, I headed back to my car and drove to Cheshire Harbor, where I tried fishing below the dam without success.

But it wasn't a total loss - - I found some elder berries (like in Monty Python's Holy Grail - - "Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elder berries") - - which I gathered for my salad for dinner this evening.

Then I pulled a shift this afternoon in the Gift Shop at a local Museum that I volunteer at for a few hours. 

Attendance was fairly slow, so I spent a lot of my time foraging the Museum grounds for additional salad ingredients - - dandelion greens, mustard greens, sweet clover, chives, some dock and a few wild grapes.

When mhy shift was over, I drove to North Adams and fished the North Hoosic for a little over an hour.

After a fruitless stint near the entrance to the Natural Marble Bridge State Park (where the stream level was disappointingly low), I drove downstream to the roll dam and waded my way past Old Glory Rock down to (and below) the Eclipse Mill dam - - again, without a single hit.

But, as I worked my way back upstream to my car, I took an experimental cast toward a spot near the opposite shore about half way between the Eclipse Mill dam and Old Glory Rock and was rewarded with a solid strike, which proved to be a 16" rainbow that, thankfully, I was able to release unharmed.

Heading home, I grilled my trout over my fire pit - -and ate it along with my salad, a sauce pan of "aloo Palak" (a potato and spinach curry dish) and a bottle of "Lucky Buddha Sure Hit Enlightened Beer."

lowaccord66

Re: A Double Header
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2022, 03:14 PM »
Sounds like a good meal Jim!

Steve H.

Re: A Double Header
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2022, 02:30 PM »
Great report.  Glad you were able to make a meal out of the bleeding rainbow.  And nice to hear you're still getting into the trout out your way.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.