FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The crappie are in  (Read 3187 times)

taxid

Re: The crappie are in
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 08:37 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong , but, in our neck of the woods isn't 65 to 68 degrees the ideal water temp for crappie to spawn and 68 to 72 for gills?

According to the In-Fisherman:

Water temperatures around the upper-50°F to 60°F range begin to bring crappies shallow into spawning areas. Peak spawning activity generally occurs at water temps of 68°F to 72°F for both black and white crappies

Normally I take information from outdoor writers with a grain of salt but the In-Fisherman is very reliable in my book.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 08:44 AM »
According to the In-Fisherman:

Water temperatures around the upper-50°F to 60°F range begin to bring crappies shallow into spawning areas. Peak spawning activity generally occurs at water temps of 68°F to 72°F for both black and white crappies

Normally I take information from outdoor writers with a grain of salt but the In-Fisherman is very reliable in my book.
Thanks Cecil, Do you know what is ideal for gills?

taxid

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 08:47 AM »
Do you know what is ideal for gills?

Looks like 70 F. may be the magic number. Of course they're actual spawning and then there males on the beds which comes sooner.

I do know they will spawn several times a year but the first spawn is the most intense. I've had bluegills spawning my ponds in early fall!

Here's some good reading on th subject.

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/sunfish-spawn-process/155605
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 10:17 AM »
Good read thanks 4 sharing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.