FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Otisco Eyes  (Read 1724 times)

mack2

Otisco Eyes
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:11 AM »
Looking to hit Otisco this weekend for Walleye, worth the effort? According the the DEC site the population is "moderate to abundant", Ive never fished it open water but have ice fished it and never came across an eye. Just curious if anyone one here has luck on the open water. Thanks 

Fishin-Mission

Re: Otisco Eyes
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 03:16 PM »
I have tried for Walleye in Otisco Lake many times during open water with no success.  The Walleye in Otisco are a tough nut to crack.  Sure hope you have better success than I.

Good luck! :D

UglyStik

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 03:39 PM »
They cut stocking a couple years ago and it has gotten tough. It takes a couple outings just to get one fish. Best times for shore walleye is early june. They tend to run larger than oneida, aveage fish is 24" to 26" i would guess. They rarely get them thru the ice for some reason. Are you fishing from a boat?

Dug1898

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 08:43 PM »
Fisheries Management:
Otisco Lake is stocked yearly with about 3,500 brown trout and 7,500 tiger musky. Walleye are now stocked biannually, with 44,000 being stocked every other year. For fishing regulations refer to the Finger Lakes and Tributary regulations in the fishing guide. An ongoing angler diary cooperator program for gamefish provides DEC fisheries staff with useful data on population trends. Information on the angler diary program and recent reports can be viewed at Angler Diary Cooperator Program. We are always looking for new cooperators, so if you are interested please contact the Region 7 office at (607) 753-3095 ext. 213 or online at [email protected]

2016 Otisco Lake Angler Diary Report (PDF, 522 KB)

I was there last night for a short visit. The water temperature on the bottom in 6 ft of water was 50*. I didn't see any alewife activity, saw few fishermen. I did hear a guy let out a loud AW! We crossed lines a bit later and he said he missed a big one just 3 ft from where he was standing.
He said they get one once in awhile lately. It's too soon for the alewife to spawn right now. Only saw a couple of boats come in just after dark. Not much fishing activity at all.

There's never been a better time to Stand Up for your First and Second Ammendment Rights than right now. 
Please join the NRA. They're my political voice.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 03:49 AM »
I have seen walleyes  caught ice  fishing  north of the  narrows
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

UglyStik

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 05:58 AM »
Thanks for the report DUG!

mack2

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 06:26 AM »
Thanks guys!

We'll be boat fishing, I'll report back if we make it up there.

Mackenzie

Dug1898

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 08:11 AM »
In a boat at night Mack, long line/slow troll the points with stickbaits resembling the alewife. The boats stand a better chance of encountering fish than the shore guys do, just by covering more water. Warmer water is the key for me right now...After it warms up a bit, the baitfish will be inshore and the walleyes will be slashing the heck out of them. They pig out on them, there are times when their bellies and gullets are so full they don't eat until they digest some alewives. I've seen fish with half and whole alewives in their gut and they still hit my HJ14...

Daytime in a boat, you can try the same thing or drag bottom bouncers with dixie spinner rigs or stickbaits deeper down the points. Not all points hold fish either.
I see a lot of boats working the west side of the lake at night. There are some nice little points over there. They don't look like much; but underwater it's a lot different.
Look for fish on your fish finder and warmer water. I'm sure there are a lot of suspended fish not far away from huge schools of alewives just waiting for a meal out over open water too.

My back did me in years ago and I never really got good a lock on Otisco; but I caught enough fish to pass this on. Good luck, it should really turn on soon.
There's never been a better time to Stand Up for your First and Second Ammendment Rights than right now. 
Please join the NRA. They're my political voice.

UglyStik

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Last year we were trolling from a small inflatable with Flicker Shads and diving jointed shad rapalas, north of the Rock Wall on the East side, trying all the points there. Got a couple of them, tough trolling cause of the varying depths. After that trip we were unable to produce any the next few tries. Weeds should be down now, might work good. Good Luck.

zaphod4

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 05:47 PM »
I haven’t fished it in a couple years.But I’ve caught them south near the causeway wall where it dropped to about 15’.

mack2

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Thanks everyone, had some boat issues so I haven't made it out yet. Probable wont make it out till the middle of June now, I'll be sure to let you know how I do when I finally get there!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.