FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Truly KRUNCHY Fish Batter!  (Read 2723 times)

fishryc

Truly KRUNCHY Fish Batter!
« on: May 16, 2005, 02:29 PM »
  I do a lot of cooking (wouldn’t think of letting my wife near the stove!) and despite countless ingredient combinations / variations and attempts, I’ve always been unable to make a really crunchy batter like you get at the local fish fry place; UNTIL NOW!!! This is the ticket- I use it on all boneless / skinless panfish fillets, especially perch. I make it without any seasonings because I like my fried fish plain…. battered, fried, and salt down only, served with a splash of malt vinegar; but you can add whatever you like to the batter; a friend adds Old Bay brand seafood seasoning and it’s pretty tasty too.
 Anyway- here goes the work of much trial and error:
 Heat deep frying oil to 375.  Use an egg wisk or electric beater to blend together the following: 1/3 cup corn starch, 2/3 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, two teaspoons salt. Add milk (quickly, to avoid lumps) until a relatively thin batter is formed. Add two tablespoons of the heated oil and quickly beat into the batter. Roll fillets in flour and set aside for two minutes before dipping in batter. Dip, drain off excess batter, then deep fry until golden brown.
fishryc

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

Hood

Re: Truly KRUNCHY Fish Batter!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2005, 08:45 AM »
Hey ryc....make em even crunchier with some corn meal...give it a whirl, im gonna try yours as well  :)
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

grumpymoe

Re: Truly KRUNCHY Fish Batter!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2005, 07:36 PM »
Awesome batter recipe......funny thing....we had walleye fillets thawing when I noticed your post.....(they don't take kindly to battering due to moisture)...what the heck....we tried it anyway.......great job.......in my opinion.....this batter is one of the easiest and best I've tried...the only difference is we added onion powder, garlic powder......and substituted salt with seasoned salt..........and of course.....ground pepper.....yuuummmmmmmmm!!!!.....thanks a million for your hard work persevering with the proper ingredients.....Grump

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.