FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Another reason I like icefishing.  (Read 6978 times)

archbishop

Re: Another reason I like icefishing.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 05, 2006, 11:20 AM »
If that happened in NY the wardens would have been all over your storie.And you wouldnt have been able to keep it.

thats very true, i know a guy that was fined for shooting a charging bear back in '97 :tipup:

he was out checking his trap line and had his pistol on him, luckily, and a 200 pounder came at him, he did the same thing as terry, shot a warning shot, then put him down when he didnt stop, luckily it wasnt a female, he may have ended up in jail :tipup:

pinche

• Amen
« Reply #16 on: Sep 05, 2006, 11:25 AM »
thats very true, i know a guy that was fined for shooting a charging bear back in '97 :tipup:

he was out checking his trap line and had his pistol on him, luckily, and a 200 pounder came at him, he did the same thing as terry, shot a warning shot, then put him down when he didnt stop, luckily it wasnt a female, he may have ended up in jail :tipup:

do you know what the dnr or DEC expects you to do or recommends you to do in a situation like that?
Rockbassin everyone is doing it !!

Proud member of M.I.R.C. since 2006

Pikeguy

« Reply #17 on: Sep 05, 2006, 11:27 AM »
do you know what the dnr or DEC expects you to do or recommends you to do in a situation like that?

Apparently you're supposed to sh*t your pants in hopes the bear will find the odor offensive and will not eat you, rather just maul you.  ::) ::)

Corporal Punishment

« Reply #18 on: Sep 05, 2006, 11:29 AM »

On the discovery channel there was a storie about bear attacks.It said young male "Black Bears"can and will attack humans and eat them.They said its because they are young and need to bulk up as fast as they can to be in the breeder size range.I guess big bears get all the woman,and if your a small male you might even become dinner.

archbishop

« Reply #19 on: Sep 05, 2006, 11:29 AM »

die i guess? if you dont have wounds its not self defence, apparently in NY you have to be physically attacked to defend yourself ??? and if its a mother with cubs, which presents a higher chance of being attacked, your in deep crap with the DEC :tipup:

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 05, 2006, 11:30 AM »
I know if you hit deer by accident in you car. You can call the dnr and let them know then theyll let you take it. But if you lived where the DEC isnt around alot, i dont think anyone would hear of it. Hence potures come about >:(

Fishing is life

MIRC!

archbishop

« Reply #21 on: Sep 05, 2006, 11:33 AM »
I know if you hit deer by accident in you car. You can call the dnr and let them know then theyll let you take it. But if you lived where the DEC isnt around alot, i dont think anyone would hear of it. Hence potures come about >:(

same in NY, if you hit a deer, you can call the troopers or DEC they will come tag it for you and its yours, the only problem is that its reported to your insurance company and becomes a very expensive deer :tipup:

TGF

• MFF Mod Team
  • I still got my eye on you guys...
« Reply #22 on: Sep 05, 2006, 04:55 PM »
If that happened in NY the wardens would have been all over your storie.And you wouldnt have been able to keep it.

You must live in the boonies if you have to carrie around a 12 gauge with 00 buck.Might have to carry that around here also in the woods "due to Bucky"... :-\

Yeah I guess I still live in the boonies up here in northern BC :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: Why we still have the RCMP (Police) riding around on their horses. Mail gets delivered by dog sled in winter and mocassin in summer ;D
I have had many run ins with bears but they usually bluff charge and turn away. That can be common up here. Bears are very numerous. In our 2 weeks at my cabin we spotted 40-50 bears. Obviously some were the same bear. I just have never came that close to one that was so agressive. I have came as close as 8 feet away staring one down. I was walking along an old trail and he was down in the tall grass in the ditch. Must have been sleeping and I was the first treeplanter to come by him. When I noticed the brown hair he popped up and there we were staring at each other. Luckily I was about 3feet above him. He just looked me over, gave a woof, dropped down and took off for the bush behind him about 5 yards away. I had my hand on my shovel to give him a bonk on the nose if he was going to come towards me. When he woofed I could smell him foul breath. That was a little too close. But he was no where near as agressive as the bear we met last week.

I do hunt/fish in very remote places so I like to pack a little back up. We also have lots of grizzly up here (but you would never know it if you listen to greenpeace folks) so nice to have a defender if its knawing on your leg.

archbishop

« Reply #23 on: Sep 05, 2006, 05:00 PM »
well, all in all, im glad you can take care of your self out there, and dont just shoot bears because you think there going to eat you like some less skilled outdoorsman may do, also glad you guys were both ok :tipup:

scansy

• IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #24 on: Sep 06, 2006, 06:37 AM »
On a trip to Alaska, we saw a lot of grizzlies.  But we managed to back away from them and let them have the best fishing holes.  We didn't have a gun with us on the trip, but since then my dad has gone back and they have always had a pistol.  Up there, the locals all recommended bear spray (mace) over the gun.  It's for sale in all the stores - even grocery stores.  I still like the idea of a gun better...

TGF

• MFF Mod Team
  • I still got my eye on you guys...
« Reply #25 on: Sep 06, 2006, 10:12 AM »
Yes I have used pepper spray as well and carry it in a holster on my hip. However you have to wait till the bear is 10ft or 3 yards away when you spray and the rate at which this bear was coming he would have swiped one of us before veering off from the spray.  Also the wind was blowing heavily from him to us which made it completely out of character for him to charge as bears don't see that well. The spray might have went 4 feet in that wind and the majority come right back at us. I use the spray as a last resort but generally most bears will take off after a warning shot of the 12 guage above them. I have had too many encounters with them and don't have the testicles to let them get that close to spray. Yes spray will work under ideal conditions.  I fish alongside grizzlies while salmon fishing the rivers here. There is plenty of food there and they and we give each other wide berths if possible  ;D

pinche

• Amen
« Reply #26 on: Sep 06, 2006, 03:37 PM »
same in NY, if you hit a deer, you can call the troopers or DEC they will come tag it for you and its yours, the only problem is that its reported to your insurance company and becomes a very expensive deer :tipup:
why would a deer hit raise you insurance? It falls under comp here in michigan.
Rockbassin everyone is doing it !!

Proud member of M.I.R.C. since 2006

archbishop

« Reply #27 on: Sep 06, 2006, 04:16 PM »
Same in NY.

It's considered an act of God.
Covered under comprehensive.

But...........
In NY if you file too many claims, comprehensive or not, you can have your rates go up or they can (and will) drop you.  I had this happen to me back in the mid 80's.

Mac

my mother in law just hit a deer last winter, her first accident in 15 years, allstate raised her rates after the accident ???

esox slayer

« Reply #28 on: Sep 06, 2006, 05:14 PM »
I can't remember the insurance company, but in the same year my parents filed a claim for that big ice storm we had up here, and a deer ran into the side..into the side of the car, not like THEY hit IT.....guess what??  The insurance company dropped them at policy renewal time....

It's the biggest rip off in this country today....sorry slip......Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

CNY Farmer

« Reply #29 on: Sep 06, 2006, 06:58 PM »
my mother in law just hit a deer last winter, her first accident in 15 years, allstate raised her rates after the accident ???

You better take that up with Slip ;D
I'd rather be fishing instead of milking!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.