FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rod holder for trolling in my 14' aluminum boat.  (Read 6933 times)

busler15

Rod holder for trolling in my 14' aluminum boat.
« on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:07 PM »
In my 14' aluminum boat, there is a lip on the top of the sides of the boat, so all the rod holders that I have bought/used do not stay on tightly or at all! 

Do you guys have any suggestions? Is there a way to make one, maybe out of pvc pipe or something?

Jim P

• Lake Ontario 8/2008
Re: Rod holder for trolling in my 14' aluminum boat.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:20 PM »
Can you post a picture of the area you intend to use them in? I use the removable downeasters... They are tried and true, plus the guy is right down the road form me...  ;D

http://www.down-east.com/clamp-on.htm

jrelaxin

« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:23 PM »
Downeasters are the trick......................... ;D
Donut a day and I'm ready to play
 Dave

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:24 PM »
on my old 11 ft aluminum, i used a pair of pliers to slowly bend up and shape the curled lip into a larger, flat platform on which to mount the rod-holders.  it was still not quite large enough of an area, so where the mounts hung off the edge towards the inside of the boat making drilling impossible, i used overly-large flat washers to pinch the platform and make the mounts sturdy.  sound jury-rigged, but it worked, and still is intact.  i'll try and post pictures soon
--~~as long as it's just a slow leak... i'm not worried~~--

--~~softwater pirates afloat on wyoming's high seas~~--

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:25 PM »
those down-easters definitely look nice though - don't have to modify your boat at all...
--~~as long as it's just a slow leak... i'm not worried~~--

--~~softwater pirates afloat on wyoming's high seas~~--

jrelaxin

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:29 PM »
they are pretty universal on where you place them......can go almost anywhere if its not too thick of a wall
Donut a day and I'm ready to play
 Dave

olbluuu

• Go Big
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:30 PM »
TITELOK RULES!!! YOU CAN GET IT WITH XTRA WIDE C-CCLAMP FOR LARGE GUNNEL BOATS!!!! I'LL NEVER GET D-EASTERS AGAIN , TOO MUCH OF A PAIN IN DA BUTT!!!!

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2007, 03:45 PM »
Use a small piece of wood to use a a filler/backing and the downeaster will work awesome.  I use the same set up on my small jon boat with no problems.  Wish I had pic's to show you
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

TrekJeff

« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2007, 08:41 PM »
I picked up some that go right into your oar locks....made of black poly...can't remember the name though. 

busler15

« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2007, 09:02 PM »
Wow something light that would work great!

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2007, 02:22 PM »
Berkley offers another choice:

http://www.fishingcanada.ws/store/shop/category.asp?catid=13

They come with flush mount to mount through the top of a surface and a side mount. They work for me.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

buddah

• Stick'em!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 15, 2007, 02:36 PM »
After using downeasters for years I used a tite-lok and will never go back.The downeasters rattle you to death in an aluminum boat if there's no rod in them and stop working smoothly after a number of years.No problems whatsoever with the tite-loks.they're anodized aluminum and never rust.No moving parts to seize up either,they also adjust to any position you could possibly need.You can get a large c-clamp for any of the top 3.

http://www.titelok.com/index.php?cPath=18_21_26

TrekJeff

« Reply #12 on: Jun 15, 2007, 09:05 PM »
Ok, the ones I have are apparently Scotty's if that helps.  I've had them a few years.  I paid around $14 for the pair.

Slammerman

« Reply #13 on: Jun 15, 2007, 10:23 PM »
I have 20+ Tite-Lok rod-holders on the Salmon Slammer and they work great. Both the flip-backs and the adjustables. I also have a couple of clamps for them if I want to take a couple for use on a buddy's boat.

One thing nice about the Tite-Loks that most people don't realize is the little shear plate. IF (and it has happened to me) you leave the rod-holder in the down position and hit a dock, the little nubs on the plate will shear off and all that needs to be replaced is the plate -saving both your boat and the rod-holder.
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.