FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kayak for fishing  (Read 6908 times)

john t.

Kayak for fishing
« on: Mar 22, 2010, 09:32 PM »
i am looking to get a new kayak this year for fishing and am look for some help on deciding witch type, sit in or sit on top. this is what i had,  looking to up grade.

Last Cast 69

Re: Kayak for fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2010, 05:55 AM »
Thats the exact settup I have. They are good stable rigs but only so much you can do with a sin-inside yak. Still using it for striper fishing this year thought.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0076872021097a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=angler+kayak&Ntk=Products&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1

If I had the scratch laying around, I'd have one of these hanging in my basement!

floatinwoody

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2010, 07:36 AM »
what you have now is what i have..I love it. Mine has a rear hatch though. What's the problem with that one?

fzrpilot6

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2010, 09:50 AM »
i have a liquid logic manta ray 14(now native manta ray14). And i absolutely love this boat.  It is a sit on top.  Very stable and quite fast.  I have a huge dry storage in the front and a large cargo area in the rear with bungees.  sit on tops are usually a little heavier so you may need to take that into consideration.  mine weighs 65lbs but i have no trouble loading and unloading by myself on my car.  i havent had it out in any crazy chop but what bit i have it has handled it well.  sit on tops usually have higher weight capacities too.  my boat has a 450lb capacity which is nice is i want to pack up for a weekend.  i would say go sit in a couple and after you have narrowed it down try paddling the ones you like. 

josh

burtbomber

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2010, 09:57 AM »
I have a sit on top wilderness kayak and it works pretty good..like the sit on top so if i do dump it , it won't fill up with water...can get blown around a little...wish it had a rudder.  I also have one man pontoon boat which is real nice for fishing...just much slower to cover water...it is super stable and I can move it using my flippers when I am casting.  It also has oars.  Lots of storage too.

john t.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2010, 12:20 PM »
what you have now is what i have..I love it. Mine has a rear hatch though. What's the problem with that one?
not enough room for storeage

yaker

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Here`s my Pungo 140 a sit in.  The advantage of the sit ins are that they are very stable, great in cold water (you don`t get wet)
the after hatch is watertight for dry storrage.  It comes with a fishing deck that is easy to rig. The boat is light for its size and most important it tracks well and is fast.

RiverRedneck

• KEEP HIS HEAD UP!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2010, 01:15 PM »
them some serious fishing kayaks....boys must be fishin some streams or somethin huh?

Johny big fish

• The water is so soft no auger needed
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2010, 04:07 PM »
I have a sit in and had it out last weekend right up to the ice wouldn't do that with a sit on I think it would be to cold       
Fishing a jerk on one end of a line waiting for a jerk on the other end

Kingfish6221

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2010, 08:38 PM »
I have a Malibu X Factor SOT that I use on big water and I love it. It is a party barge and I carry everything on it. It's a little slow but I'm never in a hurry when paddling and the foot controlled rudder I installed takes care of control in the wind.. I also have a 12' Ocean SOT that is sleeker and that's what I use on the rivers as I can paddle upstream easily.
I have a sit in and had it out last weekend right up to the ice wouldn't do that with a sit on I think it would be to cold
I have been out twice this month already in Northern IL and while you are exposed more to the weather, I dress for water temp and not air temp so I worked up a sweat anyway. Was great fighting smallmouth in 42 degree water last Friday. Looking to take a paddle on Lake Michigan harbors next week for the trout.

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2010, 05:07 AM »
I have the 12' Heritage Angler in forest green with the water tight rear hatch. It has 2 of the Berkley easy out rod holders up front. I really
like how stable it is on rough water and how fast it is. I went for a Nantucket sleigh ride 2 years ago, just outside of the jetty at Rye harbour
in NH. A 41" Striper dragged me over 200 yards, :o After that nice cold sea water shower, I picked up a spray skirt. I tried the Hobi cat
prop job last year, awesome kayak. I can't justify paying that kind of coin  :o I stick with my Heritage, she's a fish catchin Machine ;D

timbobber

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2010, 08:12 AM »
those are a couple nicely rigged fishing boats. I think I'd be happy with either. Don't you always get wet on a sit-on type of boat?

MACK MAN

« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2010, 06:27 PM »
I have a 14' loon 2 seater i took out the front seat and that gives me room for fishing stuff and a small cooler it is stable fast and fun I also have a 19' out board with 2 down riggers and i love it but I have more fun jigging for macks in my kayak it is verry exciting .I might add i would not run a kayak with out a rudder it makes all the differance in the world.

kb

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2010, 05:29 PM »
I have had 4 different kayaks for fishing, and my last one is by far the best.  Its a Hobie Revolution.  I have found that sit on tops are great for mounting all kinds of gear. 

As far is it being too cold, I wear sweatpants under my chest waders, and a semi-dry top.  No problem with the cold.  SOTs are also much easier to climb back onto should you tip over.

I fish lakes, the Hudson River, and Long Island sound.

kb
Life isn't about just surviving a storm, but learning to dance in the rain.

Kingfish6221

« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2010, 08:24 PM »
My yak on the river a couple weeks ago, got a couple smallies before the wind kicked up to 30mph. Beached her and did some spring clean up along our riverbank.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.