FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: after 48 hrs charged batteries still read 13v  (Read 1723 times)

charlys1954

after 48 hrs charged batteries still read 13v
« on: May 11, 2019, 01:50 AM »
A fully charged battery should read 13+volts right after charged. But after 12-24 hrs it supposed to settle down to 12.7-12.8 volts. I have 2 Exide Nautilus Marine DC27HDT bats from Rural King, 1 is 10 mths old the other is 1 mo old. Is there any reason they still read 13.04v after 48 hours, will this damage them. Or do I have a bad charger that's overcharging them, it does shut off when they reach 13.2v.

I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

Doubles Shooter

Re: after 48 hrs charged batteries still read 13v
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 06:20 AM »
I think it's just new and fairly new batteries. I just put new batteries in my golf cart last October. 12+ hours after charge, they are holding a full volt over the normal voltage. They will lose capacity over time. Meanwhile, enjoy a bit of extra power.

charlys1954

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 01:08 PM »
tks for the input thought maybe my charger was overcharging them. I've had it for years and it got rained one time, after that I always wondered if getting wet would cause it to malfunction.

charlys1954

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2019, 02:41 AM »
I think it's just new and fairly new batteries. I just put new batteries in my golf cart last October. 12+ hours after charge, they are holding a full volt over the normal voltage. They will lose capacity over time. Meanwhile, enjoy a bit of extra power.

Its now been 4 months and both still charge up to 13+ volts before the charge shuts down and are still 13+v 24+hrs after charging.

I fish twice a week so they've been charged approx. 30 times, how many charge times does it take to lose capacity. Like I said one I bought july 2018 and the other this spring.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2019, 05:22 PM »
If you keep them charged after every use, it could be several hundred charge cycles before you see a drop in performance. Here's a list of various charge voltages. It is common for new batteries to hold higher voltages. How long above normal depends on use and care.

Get a good digital meter and never take your batteries below 50% charged.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.