FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Conesus Lake Tips  (Read 1966 times)

WalleyeWonder

Conesus Lake Tips
« on: Mar 09, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Hello all, there is a possibility we will be making a return to Conesus lake for our early/mid june fishing trip.  We are walleye fishermen and have been hitting Oneida the last couple years with so-so results. I know they are difficult to get out of Conesus. Are there any tips, tactics, recommendations some Conesus vets can help me with? Or a PM  :rotflol:
Jiggin' Like A Fool

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
Re: Conesus Lake Tips
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2018, 04:55 AM »
Hello all, there is a possibility we will be making a return to Conesus lake for our early/mid june fishing trip.  We are walleye fishermen and have been hitting Oneida the last couple years with so-so results. I know they are difficult to get out of Conesus. Are there any tips, tactics, recommendations some Conesus vets can help me with? Or a PM  :rotflol:
They recently had a two day derby with I think near to 600 entries and not a single legal walleye was weighed.  Check the results of the last couple of spring night tourneys, similar results.  Best tip you'll get is go to Honeoye.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2018, 06:28 AM »
the walleye in conesus have been hard to come by lately thats for sure. when you catch one its usually huge and not considered a good "eater" fish. most guys troll flatlines or planer boards with stickbaits at night in shallow, near the docks in early spring when the season first opens, up until the dogwood starts falling, or the weeds choke the lake out. Spring is the best time to troll otherwise youll have way to much weeds/floating crap getting stuck on your lures. spring is the only time I have fished specifically for them and had success, they are caught throughout mid summer, fall and winter but definetly not with any consistency, bass and pike fisherman always stumble upon a few. Its a good place to go in search of a trophy walleye, not a good place to go if you plan on filling your freezer with walleye, at least from my experience.
done dirt cheap!

WalleyeWonder

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2018, 07:30 AM »
Thank you all. Hope we can land one or two of those pigs. Ever cast from docks at night with stick baits?
Jiggin' Like A Fool

mcarey97

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2018, 11:21 AM »
as stated already, tough to get em in the summer, I have got into a couple monsters in the spring while bass fishing jerk baits (all during the day) off the dock and off the kayak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cNR2eOYws8

if all else fails just go to the inlet mid april with a big net. ..... jk

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2018, 10:36 PM »
nice eye mcarey97, I got a huge one off mcpherson pt. with my daughter a few yrs back while we were just drowning worms for bluegills and bass. I thought I was snagged untill it started taking drag and then I caught a glimpse of it,  it got serious real quick LOL she still remebers me telling her shhhh!, he's almost in the net hang on shhhhhh!! hah like her yelling would instantly unhook it Ha! there is no rhyme or reason to conesus lake walleyes, most times I think the guys targeting pike/bass catch more walleye than the guys targeting just walleye,  just fish it and they will come...good luck
done dirt cheap!

WalleyeWonder

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2018, 08:24 AM »
mcarey97 indeed a quality eye. Thanks dirtydeeds thats good to know. I will also try casting points at night
Jiggin' Like A Fool

Gump

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2018, 09:23 AM »
Stick baits along the deep weed edges and points into the night.

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.