My Fish Finder Main > General Fishing Discussion

Biggest Brown Trout of this cycle

(1/4) > >>

taxid:
I apologize if this is not actually fishing but some of you have said you found my small hatchery growing out various species of fish to trophy size interesting.

The following is my biggest brown of my last three year cycle, which is surprisingly a female. With the other strains I have raised in the past, the males have always been the biggest. Most of the biggest browns with this strain, which is cross between browns from a pubic hatchery in Wyoming and Seeforellens -- are females.

Anybody have an ideas why?

One month shy of 3 years old (I know because I hatched it in my basement). 24 inches on the nose and 7.23 pounds.

taxid:
Thanks Tim for the kind words.

If I ever saturate my market or get tired of selling the fish, I will hatch and grow out fewer fish and see just how big I can get them. I'm pretty confident if I back off on the feed and be patient I can grow a brown and rainbow in the upper teens maybe even 20 pounds or so. Brooks would probably top out at around 8 pounds but not consistently since they don't live as long. I have had six brook trout over 6 pounds at age 3. Biggest rainbow so far was a hair under 10 pounds, biggest brown around 12 pounds.

seamonkey84:
Beautiful butter ball!
As for how big well fed fish can get if not harvested...

taxid:
Seamonkey thanks for sharing.

You know what I'd be fishing with there if it was legal?  A bait that can be put on a hook and looks like a trout pellet. Maybe not legal?

I've heard about that canal.

Fish Farmer:

--- Quote from: taxid on Nov 04, 2019, 06:16 PM ---I apologize if this is not actually fishing but some of you have said you found my small hatchery growing out various species of fish to trophy size interesting.

The following is my biggest brown of my last three year cycle, which is surprisingly a female. With the other strains I have raised in the past, the males have always been the biggest. Most of the biggest browns with this strain, which is cross between browns from a pubic hatchery in Wyoming and Seeforellens -- are females.

Anybody have an ideas why?

One month shy of 3 years old (I know because I hatched it in my basement). 24 inches on the nose and 7.23 pounds.

--- End quote ---

Are they viable females....do they produce eggs? Do they produce eggs later than other strains therefore grow additional years before sexual maturity? It seems when we have "mules" in our Rome strain browns they do grow bigger. The males definately are bigger than the females, even when they can mature at age 2 when the females mature at age 3. I've always heard it is more costly to be female..eggs require more energy than gonads. For us the Romes struggle to grow for 3 years, but at age 4 they can get huge. Perhaps these can put the pounds on early and spawn at 4 years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version