FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: Carp fishing-good activity for this time of year.  (Read 4844 times)

nuke1neil

Carp fishing-good activity for this time of year.
« on: Mar 18, 2004, 06:53 PM »
I grew up near a river ,and as a teenager was always on the prowl for something to do.This time of year seemed like limbo-in between ice and openwater fishing.The open water seemed hard to fish with the weather always changing from warm back to cold.So we would concentrate on the seemingly millions of carp that inhabit the Schuykill River.Hotspots would be at the mouth of a creek and the river,or below the disharge at a power plant.Put on just enough weight to hold in whatever current you had,and put on worms,bread dough,corn,or whatever else you could think of.Prop the rod up on a stick and be ready.Be warned that a 14-16 in. carp can send your rod into the water like a javelin while your back is turned! Seen it myself.24-30+ inchers are not uncommon,and fight like locomotives.One of my "secret" baits is Wheaties,as in the cereal!!!They love it and it stays on the hook like nothing else.Take the box along or mix it at home.Take as much as you can hold with both hands cupped together,and dip your hands under water for just a second or two to moisten the wheaties.Then start crunching them,working the water into it.You probably will have to add more water as you squeeze it and start forming it into about tennis ball size.Squeeze any excess water out and shortly you will have a smooth stiff ball.Sit the ball aside for a couple minutes while you check your hook,drag etc.Than put on enough to cover the hook and wait for rubber lips to suck it in.I have NEVER had it fly off the hook.It dissolves real slow in the water and has a taste the carp LOVE.

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
Re: Carp fishing-good activity for this time of year.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2004, 07:38 PM »
Neil,  Thanks for the tip.  Could just be the ticket to cure cabin fever thats building up in everyone that loves to fish.

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2004, 07:43 PM »
Neil,
I just caught your post. I'm a carp addict as well. Tons of fun. Stop by the Carp topic in the Species forum. Even the flyfishers have an interest in these hard fighting fish.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

jigerjim

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2004, 08:56 AM »
Hey Guy's you might like this site. carpangler'sgroup.com  ;)
All way's keep your line wet

ice1or2

• HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2004, 08:16 PM »
Beaver river, boat launch, Jerry's frech fries!!! ;D

Cider

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2004, 08:27 PM »
Here's a question for you carp gurus.  Do you folks eat them or is it just for the fun of catching a big fish with a lot of fight?  I have heard that some do eat them in Europe.  Not that it matters either way.  I have never really thought of them as a sport fish before, but all this talk has really got me going now!

ice1or2

• HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2004, 06:58 AM »
 :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-XDefinetly sealed lips concerning that. I have to be in a rare mood to even do crappie, but an absolute blast to catch!!

nuke1neil

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2004, 07:13 PM »
I've never tried one,but that's what people tell me that gifilte fish is.I know that jewish people eat that.I've been told that when eating carp you have to cut out the dark strip in the meat.I guess that's where the fat is??

lilwill19

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2004, 10:58 AM »
Carp fishing is fun.  They really give a strong pull on the line.  I like to fish with lighter tackle for them, just for the sport.  The Wheaties is a great bait for them.  I learned that one time from a very wise man.  I have seen people keep carp to eat, from the Kimberton Pond.  But personally, I would probably never eat carp meat. 
Fish On!!!

seaweed01

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2004, 03:23 PM »
I lived in Europe for 7 years and the people over there relish them.  They fish for them and consider them a sport fish. Here at home I have had "smoked carp" and in my opinion it's as good, if not better than
smoked salmon. Definately it is not as fishy tasting as salmon.

MikeMo

• chasing water wolves
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2004, 05:01 PM »
First post here, carp are a blast I caught 7 of them the other day. My favorite bait is green giant sweet corn. Using 6 pound test on quantum reel and rod, I pulled in 3 that were 30 plus inches. Lots of fun and very tiring.

fishin_musician

• Stupid's the New Awesome
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2004, 11:21 PM »
How about getting them on artificials? I have. Jigs and twister tails with minnows or half of a nightcrawler. The tail colors that work are generally white or yellow sometimes chartreuse. They seem to hit these baits in cooler water, spring and fall. Two more points, I have seen them in shallow water rolling over stones with their snouts and I presume sucking up the insects and bait items hiding underneath. Secondly, Have any of you noticed the different mouths on these beasts? also there are some widely varied scale patterns on the ones I see on the Susquehanna. Some of them have the downturned sucker mouth, others have a mouth that resembles in function that of a bass or perch. As far as the scales go I have caught the fully scaled typical ones and several mutants with a very few large scales and a gold colored leathery skin over the rest.
Life is Good on the Susky!
Date Registered:   Mar 04, 2004

MikeMo

• chasing water wolves
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2004, 04:18 AM »
Ive caught them on jigs and rapalas not many though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.