FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: At last...  (Read 5147 times)

Cider

At last...
« on: Apr 20, 2004, 09:38 PM »
Well, I finally made it out this afternoon with the flyrod for the first of the season. 

The river is still running a little high, but it isn't dirty.  Water temp was around 42 degrees; still a little too chilly for hungry trout, but it is close!  Amazingly, there was a caddis hatch going on this afternoon.  The flies were brown and olive colored, but there wasn't any trout activity on the surface.

It sure did feel good to be fly casting again after the long winter break.  The good news is that my waders survived the off season storage.  No leaks and good to go for the season!!  The bad news is: no fish!

I couldn't find any holdovers and the stock truck hasn't been out this year yet.  This river is very good at the height of the season, but doesn't really keep fish over the winter very well.  You can find the occasional holdover if you know where to look.

Ah, but don't despair...  The river is looking great and the trees are starting to bud/leaf out.  A sure indicator that trout season is on the cusp of breaking loose in NH!!

Anyone else been out with their flyrods yet?  If so, where are you fishing (geography, not specific water) and what species were you after?

Bartman44

Re: At last...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2004, 06:24 AM »
What you say is funny because I went out for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon and got two good sized browns (on golden stonefly nymphs) but I discovered my waders leak in three spots. We must be opposites.  I ran a flashlight inside the waders last night but can find the leaks. Any suggestions? 

Fished western Mass. Stoneflies and caddis hatching.

My son has a three day AAU basketball tourney in Liberty NY this weekend which is just up the road from  Livingston Manor. Guess I'll have to bring the rod along.

Bart

buckshot47

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2004, 09:58 PM »
Bartman, fill your bathtub with water and blow your waders up with air and push them under the water, it's the best way I have found for finding leaks. I fish mostly in the north Georgia and western North Carolina mountians, pretty rough terrain so I have gotten pretty good at finding leaks.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2004, 10:47 PM »
Well, I finally made it out this afternoon with the flyrod for the first of the season. 

The river is still running a little high, but it isn't dirty.  Water temp was around 42 degrees; still a little too chilly for hungry trout, but it is close!  Amazingly, there was a caddis hatch going on this afternoon.  The flies were brown and olive colored, but there wasn't any trout activity on the surface.

It sure did feel good to be fly casting again after the long winter break.  The good news is that my waders survived the off season storage.  No leaks and good to go for the season!!  The bad news is: no fish!

I couldn't find any holdovers and the stock truck hasn't been out this year yet.  This river is very good at the height of the season, but doesn't really keep fish over the winter very well.  You can find the occasional holdover if you know where to look.

Ah, but don't despair...  The river is looking great and the trees are starting to bud/leaf out.  A sure indicator that trout season is on the cusp of breaking loose in NH!!

Anyone else been out with their flyrods yet?  If so, where are you fishing (geography, not specific water) and what species were you after?

I was out in mid-march before the river got too muddy to fish. I used san juan worms and any kind of nymph worked; water was murky, didn't seem type mattered, but it had to be large. I caught like 5 trout in 2 hours, 3 browns, 2 bows. they ranged from 13-18". Then I switched to a worm drifting technique that is a lot like nymph fishing (actual nightcrawler) and got about 10 in a couple hours. 3 really big ones. Also, I went to the gunnison river last week, not with a flyrod, and caught about 26 trout, (24 browns, 1 rainbow, 1 cutthroat) in about 4 hours, including a rainbow about 8 lbs. Some fly fishing guy was doing okay across the river from me.

Cider

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2004, 08:44 AM »
I fish mostly in the north Georgia and western North Carolina mountians, pretty rough terrain so I have gotten pretty good at finding leaks.

Hey buckshot,

Are you fishing in the Smokies?  I'm jealous!!

My wife and I honeymooned in Gatlinsburg and spent most of our time in the Smokies.  We really liked the Townsend area and parts of North Carolina that we ventured over into.  Man that is a beautiful area!  Those trout streams are simply awesome with really pretty native brookies!!  I wish that I had more time to spend fishing up there, but the trip was very short.  I can't wait to go back again sometime!!

We also went through the Blue Ridge Parkway on that trip and that is an awesome part of the country too!

buckshot47

« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2004, 11:15 PM »
Cider,    Yea we were fishing a lot in the national park hiking in on deep creek or nolan creek. The season started in georgia and I've been fishing a stream in the foothills close to my house. It doesn't have a lot of access and runs through a management area so no private land to worry about And once I wade 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile upstream I have it to myself, haven't seen anyone but people with me yet. Caught 82 rainbows opening day up 17"and most natives. Have caught at least 30 fish every trip and two weeks ago had a little cloud cover and a good caddid hatch caught 35 on white of all colors elk hair caddis. The fish were so aggressive several came a foot or more out of the water on the strike 5 of the fish were over 15" so I will be on this stream most of the time, rough wading a lot of crawling through the laurel but worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2004, 06:03 AM »
Buckshot,

Thanks for the tip. I'll give the waders a  bath tonight.

Cider

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2004, 08:48 AM »
I will be on this stream most of the time, rough wading a lot of crawling through the laurel but worth it.

Isn't that the truth!!  I sure wish I could go with you.  That is some of the finest trout fishing I have ever done in very beautiful country.  Funny you should mention the caddis flies.  I stopped in a local flyshop and asked what the best local fly would be to use while fishing the smokies.  They suggested caddis flies with white and brown elk hair wings and chartreuse and green bodies.  I bought up a bunch and ever since that has been one of my favorite all around flies.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2004, 12:52 PM »
Spring trout fishing with a flyrod is my favorite, I like stripping woolly buggers, streamers and all sorts of atractor patterns, most guys I talk to will not break out the flyrod until mid may and all I can say to them  is you do not know what your missing.. There is nothing like a big brown smashing a streamer on the swing or stripping it through the seems..I think this time of the year is when they are more apt to take big flys but you have to work them through out the stream...My favorite flys this time of year are Black and Olive woolly buggers size 6,8 and just about any streamer the same size..
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Cider

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2004, 01:56 PM »
MF you are right on that.  Early spring is a good time to be on the trout streams with flyrod in hand.  I like to use a big beadhead white zonker streamer.  The white maribou with flashabou shows up great in the high murky water.  You also need a big bulky fly to get down deep enough and work it through the undercut banks where the big boys are waiting for a juicy morsel!

Where do you fish?  I am sure you mentioned it somewhere around here, but I am too lazy to go looking!

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2004, 09:48 AM »
CIDER, I live Oneida County if I remember corectly your down near the beatifull Delaware and Wilowemoc, I fish all over Up state NY, But the streams that get most of my casts are Oriskany Creek, West Canada Creek and The Upper Black River ... If your ever in the area give me a shout I'd be more than happy to play guide for the day..
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Cider

« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2004, 11:21 AM »
MF - that's right, I remember now.  Yes, you are correct too.  I grew up on the Delaware and Willowemoc.  Live five hours north of there now and miss it very very much!!

Jigwiggler

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2004, 12:25 PM »
I discovered my waders leak in three spots. We must be opposites.  I ran a flashlight inside the waders last night but can find the leaks. Any suggestions? 
Bart

Bart if you don't make out with holding them under water, try filling them with water.  Hang them from a branch, rafters or something and stick the garden hose right in them.  This is the easiest way I have found to find small leaks.  Make sure they are dry to start with and any water that leaks through will show up easily.  Make sure you allow enough time for them to dry before your next fishing trip though.  ;D
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.