FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Panfish Patterns  (Read 3426 times)

t_fish969

Panfish Patterns
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:56 AM »
Hey guys I'm planning at trip here soon and was looking for some good all around panfish patterns to take along as I'm trying to stick as much to my fly rod as I can. Any advice will be much appreciated thanks.

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
Re: Panfish Patterns
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:43 AM »
I dont generally target panfish, but based on incidental catches of them and observation, id say you cant go wrong with some size 10-12ish soft hackle wet flies that match the local forage,  brown/black as a universal color. for topwater action, small poppers, terrestrials, and bushy dry flies produce good action. They seem to like a bit of commotion, so tie the hackles of the dry flies long and thick,  parachute patterns get my vote in this category. short shank hooks on these patterns increases hook ups, in my experience. likely because of mouth size of most panfish. (small). Other than my preference for streamers, this is a nearly-identical fly selection that i get good success with, when fishing for yellow perch. (as for streamers, no perch can pass up a crayfish colored wooly bugger)  Hope this is of some help to ya!
><)))))))}\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'<         ><)))>    ><))><br />                                      ><))>      <br />                                ><))>

t_fish969

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 12:44 PM »
Its a great start. Thanks for the help jones!

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 01:22 PM »
No problem!  ;D
><)))))))}\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'<         ><)))>    ><))><br />                                      ><))>      <br />                                ><))>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.