FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling with heavy snap weights  (Read 4507 times)

jopes

Trolling with heavy snap weights
« on: May 19, 2013, 02:25 PM »
I have just recently seen people trolling with 8 ounces on snap weights to get down deep.  Does anyone know how deep they can be trolled down to?

Sluggo / NY

Re: Trolling with heavy snap weights
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:14 PM »
I have just recently seen people trolling with 8 ounces on snap weights to get down deep.  Does anyone know how deep they can be trolled down to?
Don.. I don't see where there would be a depth limit with 8 oz. weights, but there are several factors to keep in mind. We use them all the time on Erie.. mainly behind boards.. but usually 3 or 4 oz. and at walleye speeds of 1 to 1.5. At 1 mph a 4 oz. will run about half the depth of the amount of line out. I'd suspect that a 8 oz. would be almost vertical at the same speed. At salmon speeds.. 2.5 to 3.. they rise considerably. I'd guess that the 8 oz. would now be in that 50% ratio at 2 mph. We use this speed dependency to search more of the water column by taking slow turns or just changing speeds. The 8 oz. weights are going to drop really quick on turns and be more affected by speed change than the lighter ones that we run. Just something to keep in mind.  Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.