FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!  (Read 157341 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!
« on: May 14, 2009, 07:04 PM »
I'll start this here and move it to Off Topic.

I know you're out there....Charcoal grillers...share your recipes and secrets here.

I want to cedar plank some walleye fillets. Any suggestions??? Do I leave the skin on? Is any cedar ok to use?

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

FISHAHOLIC-19

Re: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:10 PM »
I've always seen white ceder planks being used. I think they soak it for like 2 hours. Never done this before but would like to try it with salmon.

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 08:37 PM »
Be sure to get "untreated" planks. Soak for awhile.

Here is a recipe we got from our Weber grill when we bought it. We use it with salmon/trout.

Whole trout/salmon or steaks (reduce marinade time for steaks).

Mix:
one tablespoon of lemon juice
1/2 cup of soy sauce and cooking sherry
1/4 cup of salad oil

place fish in a zip bag or plastic container and marinate for one to two hours for whole salmon (or very large chunks) or small trout for one hour. Grill with the skin on over charcoal (OK it works with other forms of heat including the over - but notas good) for about 5-8 minutes. Turn over carefully and cook the other side for same amount of time. Fish should be done when you take it off the grill - use a timer.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 08:58 PM »
Now you are talking my language. Give ma a Webber kettle grill and a bag of REAL whole lump charcoal and I can make anything taste good. ;)
I would not trade my Webber for anything!

I have never tried the cedar plank, but I have done some other things with wally. First, I don't overseason or marinade. Walleye has a light flavor that is completely covered up by even modest amounts of added flavor. A little salt and pepper, and maybe a dash of sage is all you need. I do not like to leave the skin on, but walleye fillets are so fragile you should concider cooking on foil.

1) Blackened. Crank that  puppy up as hot as you can get it! I can get 450-500f out of mine. Baste the fillets in olive oil and drop them on. you will only need 2 to 3 minutes per side. you will need to keep a close eye on them, but for Pete's sake keep the lid on. the fish will look a little crusty on the outside, but the flesh takes on a wonderful flavor and texture that you cant get any other way. I would not try this unless there is some substance to the fillets.

2) slow and smoky. Put some alder or even mesquite chips in a small can and nest it in 300 to 350 degree coals. You will still need the foil, but the fillets will not stick as much as they do with the hotter fire. Make sure the chips are starting to smoke and combust before you add the fish. Keep the lid on and do not over cook. Smokey walleye is as fine as you will ever taste! you may wish to baste with olive oil to prevent moisture loss.

These things are a HUGE helper... http://www.volkenterprises.com/products/cookd_right.html

Ask the butcher at your grocery store, they will often give then to you. You will be able to tell when your fish is done instantly without mutilating the fillet. They are worth their weight in gold.

Also, a chimney starter will get your coals going faster without the diesel flavor. ;)

Now let's hear some more cedar plank ideas!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 01:34 AM »
I'm up....getting ready to go fishing....day off.....woooo hoooooo!

I use a chimney. I also have a ceramic ball fire starter. They're for fireplaces, but work great with the chimney. I soak in denatured alcohol. No taste or smoke from the alcohol.

For monitoring cooking, I have the Weber Digital Remote Thermometer. It helps prevent "peeking".

I wonder why a maple plank wouldn't work?
RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

marcum man

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 03:17 AM »
In the words of Hank Hill  "taste the meat not the heat" ...............MM

jkoegel

• Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 07:05 AM »

Hank Hill is a propane man!! But he did fall for charcoal in one episode!!!

McCormick makes a citrus grill seasoning thats awesome on fish fillets on a cedar plank.
I dry the fillets and coat them with a little olive oil, shake on the seasoning both sides then its on to the soaked cedar plank. Trout or salmon is my fav with the planks but Perch and Eye comes out real good too.

You can use any cedar you have,UNTREATED. You want them only about 1/4" thick and soak them for at least an hour or two before cooking. Siding shingles work good as long as they are untreated. Much cheaper than buying the planks in the grocery store. Let me say UNTREATED one more time, that means no stain/oil/etc...
My neighbor, not so smart. Tried cooking after he saw me grilling some salmon. I could smell the stain burning off the plank he used.

RG- you can use any wood you like, maple, apple, cherry, pretty much anything you would use for smoke.
Fruit woods are awesome. If I'm feeling creative I'll re-saw some thin planks out of my firewood to use.
Stay away from pine, locust, and most nut trees, they contain natural toxins that don't taste very good.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 05:33 PM »

Smoke tastes good! I like to taste the heat!

McCormick makes a citrus grill seasoning thats awesome on fish fillets on a cedar plank.

I use this stuff too. It is fantastic on salmon, mahi or swordfish.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 06:11 PM »
Did the walleye fillets for dinner. I'm not really experienced with smoking....over did it just a bit. Very moist and tasty just the same. I picked up a couple of cedar planks at Wally World. I'm gonna try some crappies on it tomorrow night.

Thanks for the advice.
RG

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 06:13 PM »
What did you use to make the smoke?

salmonrebel

• "YOU HAVE TO KILL IT!...TO GRILL IT!"
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 07:05 PM »
If you don't grill with charcoal, and/or hardwood...
It ain't grillin'. It's broilin'. :P
  Our 2nd Amendment isn't a priviledge!, IT'S A RIGHT!,... That, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!".... "WHACK 'EM! AN' STACK 'EM!"

nypike

• Where da fish at?
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 08:33 PM »
try this on charcoal, dont think they will fit on a weber..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 01:57 AM »
Oh Yes They Will!!!  And the RIBS as well!

Skip, I used Hickory. I think I need something a bit less overpowering Any suggestions? It was pretty small chips. I'm gonna get some chunk varieties to experiment with. I have some beech wood I'll try.

RG

bobberstop

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 05:03 AM »
Bob, try apple or cherry or pear or oak. They are all milder than hickory. Ribs taste great with any of them.

Bobberstop

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com [url=http://www.myhuntingforum.com

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 12:25 PM »
Good to hear from you Ron. I'll give those varieties a try. Do you guys use a container for the chips or do you put them right on the coals?
RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.