FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Summer lure projects  (Read 5946 times)

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
Summer lure projects
« on: Mar 08, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Playing around with some blanks trying to make something out of them. Foiled airbrushed and hardware.

Did you put the plug in the boat?

OTIS

Re: Summer lure projects
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2012, 06:54 AM »
Nice job Coldfeet!  You're getting really good!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2012, 07:49 AM »
That came out real nice...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2012, 01:20 PM »
Thanks Guys new airbrush new paints new ideas its all coming together. Looking at tackle boxes and see a lot of old beat up lures. Guess I got plenty to practice on.

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2012, 01:29 PM »
Did a little work on this lure I think its ready to feed a few hungry Eye's.

OTIS

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2012, 07:51 AM »
How do you like the airbrush?  I still haven't got into that. Is it a big expense/ mess / pain?
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2012, 08:09 AM »
Otis

The airbrush is great. Lots of controll with this compaired to my old airbrush. I got  3 different size needles and tips for adjusting paint viscosity. Being internal mix one thing you will find out is they have a tendency to dry out the tip and sputter. The detail to keeping them clean is key. Even in the middle of painting they will plug or sputter if this happens you just need to play with the needle and clear it. Like 15 second ordeal. It doesn't always happen and I don't want to scare people into the idea they are a royal pain to use. It just will keep you on your toes to keep this Tool clean.

I think most the problems revolve around paints. Been using Createx which is a water base acrylic paint. These paints are made specifically for airbrushing and you can tell. one to two drops of paint can do a entire crankbait. The grind of pigment is so fine it just makes it go forever. Once in awhile you will find a color that just is a total pain to spray. I got White here now that drives me up a wall. It just sputters out the tip of the airbrush and needs to be thinned way beyond what is called for. But once you figure out these little quirks its all good.  Nice thing about using water base is simply mistakes can be corrected without destroying the entire paint job.  I dip the lure after I lay on a color it does two things it seals in against scratches or handling mishaps and secondly if you have a mishap on other colors you just wipe it off and start from fresh. Using the propionate sealer this dries fast and keeps me rolling with the paints..

OTIS

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2012, 07:46 AM »
Thanks for the info!  That's something I definitely want to get.  It just seems to take your lures to the next level.

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2012, 11:42 AM »
Otis
I agree. When you get into it it will amaze you to the simple things that you can accomplish with basic moves. Airbrushing really is only like 4 moves to learn to paint all effects. Straight lines, Curves, Spots and I added swirls. So much is just these basics. And trust me anyone can learn them. Finger controll is the hardest thing to learn yet in a few days that's second nature too. Learning the other methods used in Airbrushing takes time like making templates and patterns. You tube has some pretty good tutorals on airbrushing that at least gives you ideas of what to do. After that it just some practice. Fishing lures do not have to be perfect the only real reason they try to make them that way is to hook fishermen. That's where the money is not in the fish. The first real thing the lure catches is a fisherman buying it. Sure the lures need to work and catch fish too but NO lure is 100% that good.

OTIS

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2012, 06:58 AM »
Fishing lures do not have to be perfect the only real reason they try to make them that way is to hook fishermen. That's where the money is not in the fish. The first real thing the lure catches is a fisherman buying it. Sure the lures need to work and catch fish too but NO lure is 100% that good.

I couldn't agree more with what you said!!!  That's why I'm content just tying up what I do.  I've already sunk way too much money into this hobby.  It is fun though... ;D

Are you coming down to Oneida this year?  Plenty of room on the pontoon...

jasonmichalski

« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2012, 11:53 AM »
I agree its all to do with figuring out how to work with the paint you have there all different. Practice spraying the colors you plan to use before you put it on a bait.

PC221144 by jasonmichalski, on Flickr

PC221146 by jasonmichalski, on Flickr

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.