FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Baitcasting or spinning?  (Read 2759 times)

RickTheRock

Baitcasting or spinning?
« on: Jun 03, 2007, 08:00 PM »
I have used spinning reels for years without problems. I have recently been thinking about trying a baitcasting setup. I fish for all kinds of fish but, I would like to look at baitcasting for Bass. Can you guys tell me the advantages of a baitcaster over a spinning reel? I am looking for answers to casting as far as distance. I know that flippin is best with a baitcaster. I appreciate any help.
Thanks
Rock

1fishingfool9

• On the water every weekend
Re: Baitcasting or spinning?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2007, 07:13 AM »
Rick,
A bait caster is not only for flipping. I use for crank baits spinner baits. Texas and Carolina Rigs and even jig heads. With the right quality baitcaster you can cast weight down to 1/4 oz. matched with the right rod. The problem being is you will require multiple set ups for different rigging options, ie adjustment of rod action. For example a medium action fast rod is best for crank baits but for worming you will need a med heavy.

bigbucky1

• '06 big bass me and tourny
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2007, 06:21 PM »
There are also different gear ratios with baitcasters, i.e. 5:1, 6:1.   I like a baitcaster because I learned to use it for almost all bass fishing situations.   Last night I threw texas rigged,  Weightless plastic rig,  buzzbait,  and spinner baits with my baitcasters.  It will take practice and patience but it will be worth it once you learn to use them.  Just more "toys" for the other half to cmplain you have too many of though.   :laugh: :laugh:

RickTheRock

« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2007, 07:56 PM »
 I do prefer spinner baits. Looks like I will be buying a couple of new rods and reels to meet the situation.
Thanks for the info.
Rock

Fisher50

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 10:09 AM »
The quality of the baitcasting reel is very important.   That "professional over run" or as some call it, Backlash, is a pain.  The better reels miinimize the chance of a backlash.  You get what you pay for, and in baitcasting reels it's more important than spinning reels. 
"But she's in good shape for the shape she's in...cause she's been through the fire before, and I believe she can take a whole lot more...So we raise her up every morning, we take her down every night, we don't let her touch the ground, and we fold her up right...on second thought, I do like to brag, cause I'm mighty proud of that ragged old flag." -Johnny Cash

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.