FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Frogs for Walleye  (Read 12308 times)

troutaddict33

Frogs for Walleye
« on: Apr 21, 2008, 08:36 PM »
This year my goal is to target new fish that i have never gone specifically after and the walleye is one of them! Theres a stream walleye run up here in the spring and seeing that the season opens soon i figured i'de ask.... i was told by a guy to use live frogs and hook then with a treble through the back end and a large weight to keep them down. I was also told by someone else that fishing with live frogs is illegal since there is a season on them (frogs) but i have seen all over this site that people have been using live frogs for bait? SO... is this legal and does anyone ever have luck fishing with this method for walleyes??

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Re: Frogs for Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2008, 08:50 PM »
Frogs are illegal in many areas but not across the board, get your local bait restrictions to be sure...Personally I have never heard of using frogs for walleye, more of a bass thing in my area

sageur

• wetter the water the better
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2008, 08:56 PM »
state by state regs differ in Minnesota its illegal. I'm not a biologist but how long can a frog hold its breath. Ive heard their good for bass and pike but with walleye I would think it be more stationary fishing.I dint think a frog would have movement after being submerge awhile.Might want to try tried and true Lindy rig and night crawler or minnow. Ive had better luck with minnow or leach in the spring.
Good luck let us know how it goes if you use a frog.

sperrin

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2008, 08:01 AM »
I've used frogs to catch Northern Pike but not so much for walleye.

Use a 3/8 oz jig and a minnow (live or frozen) or try a pickeral rig with minnows or nightcrawlers if your fishing off the shore of the river. Thats always worked well for myself when going after walleye.

Good luck....there an awesome fish.

Stevo
A bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work!

MasterAngler

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2008, 09:07 AM »
Frogs can work great for walleye.  I have used them on one particular lake (a very clear lake) with amazing results.  I hook them between the back legs so they kick like they are trying to get away, provided decent action.  I have used them being anchored over a prime spot, such as a rocky main lake point on this particular lake and vertical jigging, even just letting the jig and frog sit there.  It works, not sure if its legal where you are but if it is, it is worth a try for sure.  I have only used them on one lake that I've found the walleye to be fusy mid-summer, so it could just be a lake specific thing, and what may work great on one lake may not on another.   8) 

Oh and frogs can hold their breath for awhile, they can also absorb some oxygen through their skin, so they stay lively a long time.
Seven days without fishing, makes one weak.

troutaddict33

« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2008, 10:18 AM »
yeah that's exactly what i was told. it must be that every body of water is different as in what the fish will eat. I saw pictures of the walleye caught with frogs there but just wanted to hear about everyone else's experiences... thanks for the ideas/input

fishstalker

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2008, 09:30 PM »
Never thought of it b4, I might have to try it out this year.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2008, 09:44 PM »
Any frog or salamander live or dead is illegal here in Sask. but I have had not bad luck for walleye and pike on the rubber frogs {Hawg Frawg} made by Mr. Twister.

I use both the 3" and 4" inch sized frogs with the yellow belly and green/black back. :)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2008, 05:12 AM »
you can use frogs as bait in new york.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

reelNeYesin

• fishing NYS...........PRICELESS
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 10:17 AM »
frogs for walleye maybe in creeks but i think you can do just as well on night crawlers
i use leeches in the spring and they love um
people say they hit the leech just to kill it
i know one thing when they hit a leech they hit it hard
good luck
theres mosquito's on the river.  .   . fish are rising up like birds

MasterAngler

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 11:05 AM »
I have used leeches and nightcrawlers on this one lake and do well most of the time, but there are times when the frogs will outfish both.   Generally my fav for walleye is leeches, but its good to a variety just in case.
Seven days without fishing, makes one weak.

chiefcatchemall

• over the rail and in the pail
« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2008, 10:26 PM »
You guys better watch out, it's going to be illegal to fish with nightcrawlers and leeches before you know it :D I am really getting sick of stupid @sses making all sorts of rules/regulations on what you can fish with. It really pisses me off. As far as I am concerned I am going to fish with what I want when I want to and if the DEC wants to be a bunch of pricks about it then the hell with them. >:(

Back to the topic...I havent ever heard of anybody fishing with frogs for walleye. If it works then maybe I will have to give it a shot.
Opinions are like @ssholes. Everybody has one and they all stink.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2008, 08:32 AM »
chief, new york has very liberal laws concerning what you can use for bait, so i don't see your point. if you saw what goes on down in my neck of the woods, you would probably understand. the foreigners keep everything, and disregard the laws. and plenty of americans do the same. as for VHS, that is a serious problem, that all sportsmen should be on board with. it will only take a couple of idiots to ruin it for the rest of the real sportsmen. BTW, we have DEC officers as members, so think before you type. losing your privilege to fish in new york will put a damper on your hobby!

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

troutaddict33

« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2008, 09:49 AM »
chief, new york has very liberal laws concerning what you can use for bait, so i don't see your point. if you saw what goes on down in my neck of the woods, you would probably understand. the foreigners keep everything, and disregard the laws. and plenty of americans do the same. as for VHS, that is a serious problem, that all sportsmen should be on board with. it will only take a couple of idiots to ruin it for the rest of the real sportsmen. BTW, we have DEC officers as members, so think before you type. losing your privilege to fish in new york will put a damper on your hobby!

yeah exactly that was a really stupid way of looking at laws that are obviously there for a purpose :nono:

chiefcatchemall

• over the rail and in the pail
« Reply #14 on: Aug 12, 2008, 12:00 PM »
You are right. They are for there for a reason. Some of them I do not agree with though. It just seems like something new happens every month. I understand VHS is a very serious problem. I respect the water and the people that enjoy is as much as I do. I do abide by the laws. I am just getting sick of having to worry about something new everytime I want to go out fishing. Sorry if I offended any DEC officers on this site, its just I have had some real @sses bother me out on the ice for no reason and I understand that all are not like that. Sorry if I upset anybody off I appologize I was just trying to express how I feel about some of these issues.

Sorry again,
Andrew
Opinions are like @ssholes. Everybody has one and they all stink.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.