FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: No more niagara minnows  (Read 2288 times)

FarginIcehole

No more niagara minnows
« on: Dec 22, 2006, 08:13 PM »
what do you guys think of the new ban on these critters?? its fatheads or nothing for now.i fished sunday with niagaras and thursday with fatheads,i sure am gonna miss the shiny ones.

FarginIcehole

Re: No more niagara minnows
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2006, 09:53 AM »
i am not the only one aware of it am i ?? vhs disease?

eyedoktr

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2006, 09:56 AM »
Fargin, there will be Niagaras available at some stores. All bait has to be certified and the supply of Niagaras is coming in slowly.
Pete Lewis

fishryc

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2006, 02:15 AM »
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2007, 02:24 PM »
Heard some news about the vhs and minnows, stopped by big catch and they had some minnows.
Current issue:
1. minnows from out of state neeed to be checked and ok from each state they pass thru, NY is dragging it heels not giving it OK. THE ONLY STATE!
2. Bill from big catch told me they had made a pond to hold minnows years ago and they had it tested with some emralds that were there (approzimately 4 years ago). The fished tested positive for the virus, is this really new or is only coming to light now?
Will the ban on sale of minnows from vhs stop  the virus? How bad has it effect fisheries in europe that have had the virus for years.
Seems like overaction from something that has been around?
My 2 cents!

It will be intresting to see what happens this winter for bait!
Internet heros give it a rest!

fishryc

« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2007, 06:00 PM »
Heard some news about the vhs and minnows, stopped by big catch and they had some minnows.
Current issue:
1. minnows from out of state neeed to be checked and ok from each state they pass thru, NY is dragging it heels not giving it OK. THE ONLY STATE!
2. Bill from big catch told me they had made a pond to hold minnows years ago and they had it tested with some emralds that were there (approzimately 4 years ago). The fished tested positive for the virus, is this really new or is only coming to light now?
Will the ban on sale of minnows from vhs stop  the virus? How bad has it effect fisheries in europe that have had the virus for years.
Seems like overaction from something that has been around?
My 2 cents!

It will be intresting to see what happens this winter for bait!

I agree Rich. If anybody such as you and I, bait dealers excluded, can net and transport 100 minnows for personal use, will this actually help prevent the spread of VHS??
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

kappy

« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2007, 07:06 PM »
niagara's don't catch fish anyway ,,, just use a jig with a nice big fathead

eyedoktr

« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2007, 07:14 PM »

I agree Rich. If anybody such as you and I, bait dealers excluded, can net and transport 100 minnows for personal use, will this actually help prevent the spread of VHS??

fishryc, you can trap but not transport minnows. They HAVE to be used in the water they came from.
Pete Lewis

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2007, 09:19 AM »
Enforcement of where the bait came from? Hard enough for the dec guys to just check the laws already on the books.
Just a shame that we overract to everything that happens.
Gobbies good or bad? zebra mussles good or bad? cormorants ect.

Last note, if you read some of the waters excluded from catching bait from they are creeks that make it to lake erie, ontario or the niagara river. You can catch bait in the creeks but not near the mouth? Don't the bait fish move into any connected waters? Will this new plan really work.
How about boat trailers and any gear that might spread the virus?
Just throwing it out there to think about.

There are meetings planned for WNY coming up next week. I believe one is to be hled at woodlawn on the 8th.
Anyone with some info please post. I will look for the info this weekend.
Internet heros give it a rest!

biggeorge50

« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2007, 04:26 PM »
The schedule that I have only shows one in western NY.  That is at Woodlawn Beach State Park on Jan 8 from 7 - 9 PM.
Other locations are Chenango Bridge on Jan 8 and Plattsburg, Albany, and Yonkers on Jan 9.  7 - 9 PM in Plattsburg and Albany, 6:00 - 7:30 in Yonkers.
I know enough, I just can't think of most of it.

Shawner

• I'm goin' fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2007, 11:03 PM »

Call Bayside down on the bay, was there Saturday and he was supposed to get Niagara's that afternoon(1/6)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.