FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Winter Trout Pics  (Read 1543 times)

keva

Winter Trout Pics
« on: Jan 05, 2007, 10:00 PM »
Went to Old Chenango Canal up near Hamilton to do some winter trout fishing Wednesday. Went with my brother and three friends. Caught seven trout all together.

Friends 14"

Brothers 17 3/4"

My 9"

Gump

Re: Winter Trout Pics
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2007, 08:25 AM »
Gorgeous brownies!!!!  Love the deep orange spot patterns on those.

Did you take all those fish on jigs???  Do you fish them under a float like we do for steelhead up north or just bottom bounce them?

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2007, 10:11 AM »
Nice!!  That's a great way to spend this abnormal "winter"!!   8)

keva

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2007, 10:59 AM »
The 17 3/4" was on a jig and my 9" was. The rest were on panther martins. For the jigs I was letting them drift when they wanted to and if they stayed on the bottom I would just slowly jig it in on the bottom. We didn't use jigs a whole lot, me and my brother and a friend were the only ones to use them and we mostly used panther martins.

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2007, 02:38 PM »
great looking fish. Is their a different technique I should try for winter resident trout, or just use the same summer tactics?

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Gump

« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2007, 02:56 PM »
Pikemaster,

It all depends on the water temperature this time of year.   I've found if the water is above 40 degrees like the streams i have been fishing recently are, the trout will be active enough to take lures such as small spinners, spoons, and rapalas.  The trout will sometimes be found in a bit faster moving water sometimes as well when the water is warmer. 

Below 40 degrees and the trout will still feed, but won't be as aggressive and it is better to drift bait, flies, or jigs along the bottom for the trout.  When the water is that cold, the trout will almost always be laying in the deeper slower moving pools of a stream.  I find them lots of times towards the tail end of these big pools.  Their hits are also much more subtle during cold water periods as well and can be hard to detect.  I often like to use a small float or strike indicator while drifting my bait or fly when conditions are like this to detect even the lightest strikes. 

Good luck and go get'em!

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2007, 03:55 PM »
thanks for all the info gump. I always say im gonna try some winter trout but never get the chance to. With the lack of Ice i think ill give it a shot when I get the chance. Ill probably be using worms and a small hook

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.