FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hudson River Stripers  (Read 54800 times)

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hudson River Stripers
« Reply #30 on: Mar 30, 2004, 02:39 PM »
Anyone have any idea when the stripers will be in albany?
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

gunner1

« Reply #31 on: Mar 30, 2004, 05:19 PM »
is there a tide chart for the hudson somewhere?

Go to www.boatingonthehudson.com. They'll have it for you.

gunner1

« Reply #32 on: Mar 30, 2004, 05:20 PM »
Anyone have any idea when the stripers will be in albany?

About three to four weeks. It depends on when the water warms up enough for them and their main forage- herring.

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #33 on: Mar 30, 2004, 05:43 PM »
Thanks gunner.
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

STRIPER

« Reply #34 on: Apr 01, 2004, 10:47 AM »
Got a report from the River Basin bait shop in catskill and there herring in the catskill creek.Water is very muddy.Next week they should be here.Boat will be in next weekend.See ya all soon.

gunner1

« Reply #35 on: Apr 01, 2004, 03:14 PM »
Got a report from the River Basin bait shop in catskill and there herring in the catskill creek.Water is very muddy.Next week they should be here.Boat will be in next weekend.See ya all soon.
\

Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? I live in Leeds, a mere 10 minutes from the River Basin. He has a really nice store. A little expensive, be he IS local and it's good to help the 'little' guy out if you can.

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
« Reply #36 on: Apr 01, 2004, 08:24 PM »
found a new place to fish today by the CIA its called Merriam state park looked pretty good with a stream goin out and low water into a deep channel, anyone ever heard of it

STRIPER

« Reply #37 on: Apr 01, 2004, 08:54 PM »
Gunner I am in Selkirk.Just south of the Thruway bridge on the river.1000 foot walk and I am on the river.I fish out of Henry Hudson Park.Great spot if you are fishing from shore or if you have a boat the launch is good too.The most trailers I have counted at peak season in the lot was over 100.Pain in the A to get back in after a long day out.

gunner1

« Reply #38 on: Apr 02, 2004, 11:15 AM »
Gunner I am in Selkirk.Just south of the Thruway bridge on the river.1000 foot walk and I am on the river.I fish out of Henry Hudson Park.Great spot if you are fishing from shore or if you have a boat the launch is good too.The most trailers I have counted at peak season in the lot was over 100.Pain in the A to get back in after a long day out.

How's the fishing? Do you catch any big fish, or primarily 'schoolies?' Is there anyplace to scap for herring?

STRIPER

« Reply #39 on: Apr 02, 2004, 08:39 PM »
I do very well netting herring on the wall.The park is great place to fish.I usually net the herring and then go out in the boat. I am there every day of the week.You can find me just south of the flag pole at the park.Here is my website.Check out the photos on there. All good size fish.http://community.webtv.net/RODNEY716/RODNEYSHOMEPAGE
Going after work to check the conditions.   

Doover

« Reply #40 on: Apr 02, 2004, 10:14 PM »
www.riverbasinsports.com in Catskill has good reports all season,also has a striper contest which goes by lenght not weight. www.hudsonriverstripedbass.com is in Kingston. It's a marina that sells bait.Tomorrow, Sat. they are having a seminar,very good for the newbie and pro alike.
See you on the river. Brian

reubenpa

« Reply #41 on: Apr 03, 2004, 09:29 AM »
what do striped bass relate to , stuff like a regular bass, or are they everywhere when they are runnig?
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

PERCH INC.

• Monster Perch Rulz!!!!
« Reply #42 on: Apr 04, 2004, 05:27 AM »
 Thay relate to herring. Were the herring are the stripers are sure to follow.
Pass it on !! "Hunting and Fishing"

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #43 on: Apr 04, 2004, 07:00 AM »
lol, ain't that the truth :D
when u use live herring, sometimes u can fell it twitchin and running from the stripper, but they never do with the line drag. Fish On! The fight is on baby.
Herring the only way to go in the run.
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

gunner1

« Reply #44 on: Apr 04, 2004, 08:57 AM »
lol, ain't that the truth :D
when u use live herring, sometimes u can fell it twitchin and running from the stripper, but they never do with the line drag. Fish On! The fight is on baby.
Herring the only way to go in the run.

You said it! Last year we were using herring and I had my back to the river while I was rigging another rod when all of a sudden I heard a load "SLAP." I turned around and one of the rods was doubled over. My dad had been sitting right there and said that the striper ( a 14 #er ) had come up from underneath the bait and completely left the water!! It seems everything good happens when my head is turned. If you can keep them alive, herring ARE the way to go. BTW, those Keepalive aerators available at Dick's work great for the herring. They put millions of tiny bubbles into the water and really keep the bait alive longer. Try one and I guarantee you'll like it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.