FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: how to cook brook trout  (Read 7829 times)

skully

• a bad day fishng beats any day working
how to cook brook trout
« on: May 11, 2008, 07:38 AM »
just wandering how everyone cooks there brook trout,like to hear a few different ways.    thanks  scot

Mainehazmt

Re: how to cook brook trout
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 07:42 AM »
just wandering how everyone cooks there brook trout,like to hear a few different ways.    thanks  scot
well one way is #1 almost catch your limit   #2 starta small fire on the bank clean the fish  then poke a stick up thru its mouth and indirect heat cooking after its done enjoy 3 put fire out  4 continue fishing   less to carry then..... PS no permit needed for a cooking fire
I am a Proud Veteran I am Not a Terrorist!

cdc

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 08:45 AM »
Butter and onion..Cooked over an open fire...Or on a charcol grill..
I may have to take the brookie out of the freezer with all the talk about brookies

crzy granny

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 09:07 AM »
sounds good Mainehazmt but your lacking the fiddleheads.         
 rollem' in corn meal , fry on top of fiddleheads,minced onions, butter.

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 09:23 AM »
I cook them in tinfoil on the grill with a touch of all the spices in the house or bake them with some olive oil put fish in pan after oil the a little onion salt lemon juice and a strip or two of bacon on top delicious

MnSportsman

• 21 inch Brown. Tied Personal Best, 30 yrs apart
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 09:27 AM »
    We take along some square pieces of tinfoil, folded with some butter, garlic powder/salt, & some lemon pepper inside it. (Just keep it in a ziplock, so the stuff doesn't melt in your pocket on a hot day.  ;) )
    Then after catching & cleaning a few, we unfold the foil & scoop some of the butter & spices & put it inside the fish , place the fish on the foil in the middle on top of the leftover butter/spices, & roll it up like a potato would be for baking. Folding the ends over to keep the juices in.
    Then we take them & either put them on some coals from a open fire(in the field), or on a grill at fish-camp, a park/wayside rest, or we wait & do this at home on the grill. If we have gathered some wild leeks, we put a few of the bulbs inside the fish, ( or even some shredded leek leaves) b4 we roll them up.  Tastes great! Started doing this in the 70's & still do them this way. Easy, cuz you can eat them with your fingers right off the foil after it cools a little bit & the dispose of the leftovers for the critters if ya choose & then pack out the foil for placing in the trash later.
Enjoy!
 ;D

Litchfield Fisher.. I have never tried the bacon either. I will try that sometime!
;)

2 Browns & a rainbow                Chubby BlueGills with Shoulders. :)

troutchaser

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 09:28 AM »
now that sounds good w/ bacon   yum

chief10point

• we are going to need a bigger boat!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 09:56 AM »
cast iron, cornmeal and a cold hieneken ;)
chief10point

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 10:22 AM »
    We take along some square pieces of tinfoil, folded with some butter, garlic powder/salt, & some lemon pepper inside it. (Just keep it in a ziplock, so the stuff doesn't melt in your pocket on a hot day.  ;) )
    Then after catching & cleaning a few, we unfold the foil & scoop some of the butter & spices & put it inside the fish , place the fish on the foil in the middle on top of the leftover butter/spices, & roll it up like a potato would be for baking. Folding the ends over to keep the juices in.
    Then we take them & either put them on some coals from a open fire(in the field), or on a grill at fish-camp, a park/wayside rest, or we wait & do this at home on the grill. If we have gathered some wild leeks, we put a few of the bulbs inside the fish, ( or even some shredded leek leaves) b4 we roll them up.  Tastes great! Started doing this in the 70's & still do them this way. Easy, cuz you can eat them with your fingers right off the foil after it cools a little bit & the dispose of the leftovers for the critters if ya choose & then pack out the foil for placing in the trash later.
Enjoy!
 ;D

Litchfield Fisher.. I have never tried the bacon either. I will try that sometime!
;)
they are also good fried in a pan after a few strips of bacon have been cooked still get the same basic flavor and you can cook potato or whatever with them as well

Mainehazmt

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 10:31 AM »
sounds good Mainehazmt but your lacking the fiddleheads.         
 rollem' in corn meal , fry on top of fiddleheads,minced onions, butter.
then ya gotta carry the other stuff!
I am a Proud Veteran I am Not a Terrorist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.