FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rigs for perch  (Read 14662 times)

Ikura

Rigs for perch
« on: Mar 24, 2004, 08:09 PM »
Could you share some basic rigs for perch.  ???

Is it something like this?
A small jig (#8 size?) tipped with a minnow or musie.
A snap shot above it as weight for casting.
A bobber.

Do you flicker your rod and reel it in like a lure?
Any must-have types of jigs?

I usually fish from shore on bays and ponds near Rochester, NY.

firstice_rules

• got to get them fishies
Re: Rigs for perch
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2004, 05:51 PM »
i usually use a pickeral rig tiped with minnows and worms.
notin better than a perch on the end of my line!

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2004, 07:21 PM »
Well your set up is a litte bit ok but what i like is this.

Number 12 hooks i belive i use with a 1 inch mini Tube on
1 splitshot about 14 inches above it
Smallest bobbers u can get..I use cubes of balsom wood on my line..Bout the same size a suger cube maybe even smaller. The smallest you use for bobbers the better as you can see the strikes as well plus you wont scare the PErch. i place the Bobber about 3/4 of a foot above the split shot.
Im FIshing in 4-6 feet of water for them.

FOr spring perch i cast out as far as i can then let the tube fall .
Once it falls i let stand for 15 secs..You might have a strike so watch.
Then give 3-5 lil tugs pulling it just slightly so it moves towards you a few inches.
And reel in the Access slack..But watch after the tugs that is when they usualy hit.
This method works great On Both Perch and Crappies..I catch More Crappies on Green flec tubes and More PErch on Yellow and whites. ALso one side note here sometimes i cut the access tail of the tube off for Light strike Perch.Usually the tails are just a wee bit to long so Trim it a bit so you dont end up with the same problem. Anyhow good luck
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

firstice_rules

• got to get them fishies
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2004, 01:07 PM »
germ i have never used that rig for perch but it is a killer for crappie and with a bigger tube bass seem to like it too. i'll have try it for perch though.
notin better than a perch on the end of my line!

kingfshr16

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2004, 08:40 PM »
During the spring and early summer some of the best perch fishing we've done is jsut filoatin around in the boat tryin to find the perch beds (if we dont know where they are) and just 2 long shank hooks and split shot, either worms or minnows, granted this is usually on Champlain or Lake George but it works and works well at that.

fulltmedad

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Massachusetts Goatboys
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2004, 07:46 AM »
I use a dropper rig for perch here. At the end of the line is a bell style sinker, about 4 inches above it I tie in a dropper loop with a #10 Aberdeen long shank hook. I tie a second dropper loop with another hook above that, sometimes I use a flicker spinner on the upper loop to attract the perch. For bait I use perch minnows or sometimes a combination of minnow on the bottom and a grub or worm on the top.
If I'm drifting, looking for the fish, I just bounce the rig as I go until it gets hit. It'll work casting from shore just lift it every few minutes and keep an eye on your line for the hits.
FTD

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2004, 03:41 PM »
Ya my set up is killer for Crappie as well. AS In spring perch run we get them both so that is why i use this combo....Nothing agaisnt the Minnows as they are always effective for sure....I just use this method cause its fun for me to finesse them this way...The minnows usualoly get more though... but more fun for me with the Mini tubes! TIght lines boyz and good luck!
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

Ikura

« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2004, 11:26 AM »
Thanks all for your tips.  Any more is welcome too. :)

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2004, 11:16 PM »
Some good ideas here. Will have to try something other than just the split shot/hook and minnow system. Any on-line locations for showing some tube set-ups?

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

bigdave1018

« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2004, 05:57 AM »
i use a dropshot rig for them commonly known as the standard bullhead rig. 2 #6 gold or bronze hooks and a sinker. minnows , perch eyes , worms or spikes[ you never know what theyre gonna bite on ]. drift or use a fishfinder, get your 1st hit and anchor. tight lines

crappieman12887

« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2004, 11:43 PM »
when the water is cold i use my ice jigs under a casting bob that seems to work really good for me,but i also like using alot of rubber .,i guesse it really depends on the bite.another thing i do so i dont have to try to catch up with all the slack in my line when usins a bober is two but vasolene on the line this lets it float on top of the water so if there is a little brezze it will allway keep your line tight.try this and you will know what i am talking about,take a piece of line throw it in a clear glass of water it will sink now take another piece but vasolene on it now you will see it float.try it if you are bobber fishing,i bet you increase your catch ratio, and if the bobs are two much for the fish to take down you can make up really light ones with a mcdonalds straws ,just buy  cutting them to the size you want sliding your line threw them and pluging the ends with a little piece of cork . sometimes i will put just alittle water in them for casting and to make them more senstive.bill

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2004, 12:46 AM »
[quote  you can make up really light ones with a mcdonalds straws ,just buy  cutting them to the size you want sliding your line threw them and pluging the ends with a little piece of cork . sometimes i will put just alittle water in them for casting and to make them more senstive

Really puts new meaning to the McFish Sandwich!  Great suggestions!

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2004, 09:50 AM »
I use a tiny jigging rapala which is the same color as the perch. very deadly ;D ;D ;D
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

backwoodswalker

« Reply #13 on: Jun 08, 2004, 12:56 PM »
I use jigging rapalas also. In hot summer weather i use trolling motor to tool around looking for drop offs and fish. Slowly drop anchor and tightline right over side of boat with them. DEADLY!! My son who has not got knack for tightline fishing (too young yet) actually uses one of my ice rods. He catches his share this way. Works pretty good for walleye also. Good luck to all

Reelmaster

« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2004, 05:05 PM »
i USEd A small jig head and a  minnow to start or a perch bellly once i got into them. but iwas jiggin in a boat in about 10 ft of water.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good days work!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.