FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: For the hunting fly tier  (Read 4632 times)

CoreyL302

For the hunting fly tier
« on: Oct 15, 2010, 04:24 PM »
Anyone ever dye their own bucktails? It would be nice to have some colors to work with ;D Thanks for any info  8)

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
Re: For the hunting fly tier
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2010, 08:27 AM »
Anyone ever dye their own bucktails? It would be nice to have some colors to work with ;D Thanks for any info  8)
I don't die my own but I buy a lot of hot orange tails and black, great foor making streamers...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

CoreyL302

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2010, 02:53 PM »
Just getting my stock up im runnin low, I need all colors NOW NOW NOW! :rotflol: :evil:

adkwiley

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2011, 06:05 AM »
what do you guys use as dye?  I tried dying some  white bucktail blue using food coloring in boiling water and letting it sit and it didn't really take, just barley tinted it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2011, 02:05 AM »
I've had success dying them using Kool Aid or Ritt. Basically you dye them in a glass jar that is heated in a large pot of water. Adding vinegar to the water fixes the colors.The problem comes with getting the color right. Plus, it's a god awful mess and heaven help you if you spill on a porcelain sink or counter top :-\

You can buy Wapsi bucktails for under $5 in any color you like. Save the naturals for just that.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Martian

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2011, 04:40 PM »
 I have been told the tail has to be crazy clean, and free of oil, and that if dyed, the darker tail takes darker dye better, and I haver been told that some either bleach, or dye white, then color. Haven't got desperate enough to try yet, I also agree with natural, for natural.

derik

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2012, 08:35 AM »
Rit dye works well, definitely want to make sure the buck tail is dried out and as free of grease as possible.  I don't bleach because I like some of the dark hair makes for good color combinations light and dark of the colors you dye.  I've never used kool aid, but it is my understanding with some dying techniques you need to add vinegar to get the color to set.

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2013, 09:47 AM »
I know this is an older post but the way i dye mine, is i use some gel-like food coloring, and mix it with white vinegar. submerge the bucktail (or feathers, string, etc) in this mixture and microwave for 2min or so. then stir it a bit to make sure its worked into and around the material. let it sit until it is almost room temp. rinse with ice water to further set the color, and your ready to go. ive never had the colors bleed out or anything..
><)))))))}\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'<         ><)))>    ><))><br />                                      ><))>      <br />                                ><))>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.