FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New record NYS brook trout  (Read 19051 times)

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
New record NYS brook trout
« on: May 21, 2013, 04:36 PM »
Talked to the guy that got it last week. 6.03 lbs....Saw pictures of it. A very nice fish. He said the DEC has it at Raybrook....hunts2long

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
Re: New record NYS brook trout
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:19 PM »
wow, lots of record fish being caught this year from all over and in our back yard, totally awesome.  8)
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Funny a friend and I joked when they reset the Brookie record a few years back and said it wouldn't be surprising if its broke every season until someone gets up around 7lbs ... Looks like it was no joke.....lol
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:12 PM »
Funny a friend and I joked when they reset the Brookie record a few years back and said it wouldn't be surprising if its broke every season until someone gets up around 7lbs ... Looks like it was no joke.....lol

I and a bud talked about that very samething

fishbone

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 06:28 PM »
six pounders have been caught before too--some people care more about our ny fishing and less about getting their names mentioned on some list of trophy fish. crowding is bad in ny now and brook trout dont need internet hype

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 07:00 PM »
I am sure that the guy that got this one has taken many big ones over the years. At his age he has every right to put one in the book. Where he goes and the work he has put into his fishing over many years, he is deserving of it....hunts2long

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Most of the record trout caught these days are nothing more than what the DEC calls "spent breeders."  These big fish in the hatchery are on the downslide productivity wise so DEC lets them go for stocking purposes. 

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 04:58 AM »
dec will not allow breeders to be put into the record books! it happened at 13th lake a while back and they revoked the record because it was a broodstock fish.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 06:14 AM »
Bluemountain...with all due respect I disagree.  I am a retired career DEC employee & I know that's not true.  A few years back an acquaintence from Utica set the new brook trout record.  I saw the fish.  All the classic signs of a hatchery fish.  In particular, the tail was all beat up which is a classic raceway sign. 

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 06:34 AM »
ok well i may be wrong but i know the 13th lake trout was a hatchery fish and they dq the fish because of it.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 06:39 AM »
Can't most brook trout in our ponds and small lakes be traced back to a hatchery in one way or another?.....hunts2long

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 07:44 AM »
yup they can be. but you can tell when you get a big brooder. they have no tailfin! most ponds in the adks r stocked so theres no garantee that any brooktrout you catch is native.  any pics of this beast of a trout?

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 07:52 AM »
Bluemountain...with all due respect I disagree.  I am a retired career DEC employee & I know that's not true.  A few years back an acquaintence from Utica set the new brook trout record.  I saw the fish.  All the classic signs of a hatchery fish.  In particular, the tail was all beat up which is a classic raceway sign.  

thats interesting, seeing as NY DEC refuses to verify state record brook trout until they inspect the fish;

"they specifically ensure that brook trout submissions do not come from ineligible waters. This excludes brood stock, which are adult stocked breeding fish"

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gone-fishin%E2%80%99/2012/06/ny-state-trout-record-broken-seventh-time-eight-years

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 07:56 AM »
He stopped and showed me pictures. It is a dandy....hunts2long

rainbarrel

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 08:47 AM »
Most of the record trout caught these days are nothing more than what the DEC calls "spent breeders."  These big fish in the hatchery are on the downslide productivity wise so DEC lets them go for stocking purposes. 

Not true.  They don't do that anymore after the 13th lake fish and also one from the Mohawk that came from the Rome hatchery.  With very few exceptions, fall fingerlings are the only size trout stocked in the ponds. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.