FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New record NYS brook trout  (Read 19066 times)

rainbarrel

Re: New record NYS brook trout
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 08:52 AM »
Bluemountain...with all due respect I disagree.  I am a retired career DEC employee & I know that's not true.  A few years back an acquaintence from Utica set the new brook trout record.  I saw the fish.  All the classic signs of a hatchery fish.  In particular, the tail was all beat up which is a classic raceway sign. 

No way to verify 100% but I doubt that the Raquette fish was brood stock.  Better chance it was native than a brooder.  Plenty of wild fish in Raquette and its tribs if you know where to look. 

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 09:56 AM »
No way to verify 100% but I doubt that the Raquette fish was brood stock.  Better chance it was native than a brooder.  Plenty of wild fish in Raquette and its tribs if you know where to look.  

Hey Scott hows it going ?

My thoughts exactly , here's the fish that Tom caught a couple years ago from Raquette

Raquette gets stocked with very small amounts of very small Brook Trout because its basically a natural hatchery... Case and point 400 - 4" brook trout in 2012...  
yup they can be. but you can tell when you get a big brooder. they have no tailfin! most ponds in the adks r stocked so theres no garantee that any brooktrout you catch is native.  any pics of this beast of a trout?

last years record breaker from south lake is without a doubt a stocked fish, the lake was acid dead 20 years ago and it is true there are a good number of water bodies stocked, But I'd be willing to bet there are just as many if not more supporting wild reproduction... The Dacks have several bodies of water with their own strain of Brook Trout, Horn, Windfall just to name a couple off the top of my head with out googling it...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 10:07 AM »
YES there is away to verify 100%[genetic test] in my opinion there are 6# and maybe 7# in some
of the ponds where the HERITAGE strains have been put in about 7 or 8 strains for adirondacks
here is a list of them[SELF SUSTAINING] NEED A MONOCULTURE,genetically pure 
dix strain-lives to about 3years gets to 9in
honnedage,strain gets to 6#
horn strain gets to 16in
little tupper strain gets to 6#
nate strain,gets to4#
stink strain gets 14in
windfall strain,gets to4#
tamarack strain gets to 17in
these have NOT been changed by man[hybridized,or domesticated]
hope this helps
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 10:14 AM »
dec will not allow breeders to be put into the record books! it happened at 13th lake a while back and they revoked the record because it was a broodstock fish.

that would suprise me as even Maine's record BKT (something like 9lbs 2 oz)  is a holdover broodstock fish.. and its firm in the record  books

SacandagaSwamper

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 01:03 PM »
Wheres the pics? :o

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 01:10 PM »
that would suprise me as even Maine's record BKT (something like 9lbs 2 oz)  is a holdover broodstock fish.. and its firm in the record  books

NY has disqualified 2 potential records in the past 10 years because they were hatchery brood stock....

One fish was caught in the Mohawk river below the Lake Delta dam, the other was 13th lake...

We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 01:10 PM »
that would suprise me as even Maine's record BKT (something like 9lbs 2 oz)  is a holdover broodstock fish.. and its firm in the record  books

NY doesn't do nearly the broodstock stocking that other states like maine does.  The vast majority of our stocked stream trout are either 1yr or 2yr old fish...the 2yr fish being 13"-14".   And yes, they check all the state record entered brookies to make sure they weren't stocked as brood stock.  

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 02:54 PM »
NY doesn't do nearly the broodstock stocking that other states like maine does.  The vast majority of our stocked stream trout are either 1yr or 2yr old fish...the 2yr fish being 13"-14".   And yes, they check all the state record entered brookies to make sure they weren't stocked as brood stock.  

thats wierd... not 100% sure on what i said about maines record being broodstock, but it WAS 100% a hatchery fish (fin clip evidence) atleast

only thing in maine that wouldnt count as a record is a fish in privately owned/stocked/maintained ponds (aka the fish not stocked/raised by maine DIFW)

Earthworm

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Its my understanding that the trout can b stocked bt must have been a fingerling nt brood stock

C07pernice

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 10:54 AM »
Where are the pictures of this fish

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 11:13 AM »
He has shown me the photos but he is not the computer type. I am sure the DEC will have pictures once it is posted on their website....hunts2long

fishbone

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 05:45 PM »
good post guys--and i agree that ny has some dandy trout to be had--that raquette trout was awesome look at the girth and the long and strait fins--plus that fish was no accident he was special targeting for big brook trout and knows that lake well--most of these guys know exactly what they are doing and work hard to get those fish--before little tupper was opened to the public and smallmouths were intentionly let loose by the public, a confirmed 25 inch brookie was caught and released there and it was spectacular--i also saw pictures that mark eddy showed me of a 12lb hook jaw splake in limekiln that was red bellied and colored and shaped just like a brookie---i know splake are only half brook trout but some seem to show traits of one parent or the other and this 12 lber had alot of brook trout in it---maybe the finest fish i have ever seen ever that was caught in ny waters--i also met and spoke with mr. pfendler of boonville-this is the guy who caught the former state record lake trout in lake placid--it was 32lbs--and if anyone has seen that 32lb fish it is something to see that guy has amazing pics of adirondack strain lakers from 18 to 32 pounds his photo albums show a real dedication to old style adirondack lake fishing------   

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 12:46 PM »
NY has disqualified 2 potential records in the past 10 years because they were hatchery brood stock....

One fish was caught in the Mohawk river below the Lake Delta dam, the other was 13th lake...

wasn't  there  a  brook  trout  disquilfied  from  long  island   4    years  ago  i  think  from the  carmans  river  area
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

SacandagaSwamper

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Any news or pics on the record?

OTIS

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 07:25 AM »
Any news or pics on the record?

The DEC posted a picture on their Facebook page.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.