FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New record NYS brook trout  (Read 19050 times)

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
Re: New record NYS brook trout
« Reply #45 on: Jun 03, 2013, 09:50 AM »
It seems odd that a hybrid would qulify as a brook trout.
this fish is a GENETICALLY PURE brookie and has not been changed by any crossing by any hatchery
this is a windfall strain heritage brooktrout.please read a book by keller on n.y.s brookies about 1979
in his book he states there is about 10 strains??? left in n.y, what are genetically pure.when i fished
in the mid 50's you could SEE the difference in the colors
hope this helps
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

beerbellybob106

« Reply #46 on: Jun 03, 2013, 05:44 PM »
this brook trout was caught from a pond that was killed off by acid rain and couldn't sustain any kind of fish population until 2002 when the water started to neutralize and DEC did an experimental stocking in the lake and obviously it was successful. my uncle was with him and he caught a 4lbser the same day as this one. this man puts a lot of time in fishing these ponds and catches a lot of big trout

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #47 on: Jun 04, 2013, 11:30 AM »
this brook trout was caught from a pond that was killed off by acid rain and couldn't sustain any kind of fish population until 2002 when the water started to neutralize and DEC did an experimental stocking in the lake and obviously it was successful. my uncle was with him and he caught a 4lbser the same day as this one. this man puts a lot of time in fishing these ponds and catches a lot of big trout
RIGHT ON bob.that is the best way to get these trout,long walks, a LOT of time on the water,and the know how
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

jplug

« Reply #48 on: Jun 04, 2013, 05:10 PM »
Nice fish Rick!!!!!

beerbellybob106

« Reply #49 on: Jun 04, 2013, 07:35 PM »
RIGHT ON bob.that is the best way to get these trout,long walks, a LOT of time on the water,and the know how
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
yes and the pond he got it out of is by no means a short walk at about 5 miles back in

oatkasut

« Reply #50 on: Jun 04, 2013, 09:59 PM »
If you want to see the previous brookie record look  on page 8 of the NYS Conservationist magizine(June 2013)  and see William Altman and his 5 lb. 14 oz. 21 inch brookie caught on 5/6/12  caught on a lake clear wabbler in the West Canada Wilderness Area, Hamilton County. Also posted are other record fish (pages7-9).New York has got some great fishing! :) :) :)

Earthworm

« Reply #51 on: Jun 05, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Silver lake is 7 miles back on the placid.trail

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #52 on: Jun 07, 2013, 01:37 PM »
the walk is why the fish get big,plus the know now, i ALWAYS put the females and ALL big trout back but that is my
way.it is up to us,brookies do have a short life,SO THINK.
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

Pikeplower32

« Reply #53 on: Jul 22, 2013, 05:56 PM »
Awesome

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #54 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:51 AM »

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #55 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:31 AM »
Sorry to hear about your friend Doug....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

UglyStik

« Reply #56 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Sorry to hear that. He will be remembered by this record, though. A legend.

oatkasut

« Reply #57 on: Mar 04, 2018, 08:54 PM »
The DEC has an ongoing program now on the distribution of wild brook trout throughout New York State where they count fish and take scale  samples for genetic analysis.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #58 on: Mar 05, 2018, 05:15 AM »
do they all taste the same?
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

taxid

« Reply #59 on: Mar 05, 2018, 05:28 AM »
If NYS disqualifies broodfish from state records then they are the only state that I know of that does that. Not saying it's bad or good just saying most states don't bother to make the differentiation that I'm aware of.

As someone that rears trophy size brook trout for the taxidermy market, the interesting thing about domestic strain brook trout is their short life spans. With mine anyway they seem to expire at about 3 to 4 years. Some of the wild Canadian strains can live much longer though.

When I had various states fill out a questionnaire to determine the legality of selling frozen whole gamefish to taxidermists, Maine was concerned about one of my fish being used as a state record fish entry and wanted me to tag my fish! No worries, as although I've grown them over 6 lbs., pretty doubtful I'll get one to 9 lbs. 2 oz! When they get that big it's not just a matter of feeding. Genetics play a big role.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.