FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleye Rod & Reel for Canada?  (Read 5972 times)

Preacher_man

Walleye Rod & Reel for Canada?
« on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:28 PM »
  I'm heading up north in Aug and was wondering what everyone uses for walleye? Rod,Reel,Line and Lures?  ::)
    I'm headed to Cabelas in a couple weeks, so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Jigwiggler

Re: Walleye Rod & Reel for Canada?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2004, 12:21 PM »
Preacherman,
    That sounds like some trip you're headed on!!  I like a 7 ft. med. light action rod for all walleye applications except trolling.  When trolling I use my 6' 6" med. action crankin' stick.  The slow action of the crankin' stick allows for better hooksets while trolling.  You may want to opt for something a little heavier since you will most likely be tangling with some pike while fishing for eyes. 
     As for a reel, I have 2 Diawa Regal - X reels that I absolutley love.  They have instant anti-reverse, good capacity for most applications, an awesome drag and only cost about $ 35.  I use them for all my spinning applications from bass and walleye to stream run salmon and steelhead ( except musky ).  For a baitcaster, I would recommend the Pleuger Trion, this is another reel that I have great faith in and has all the characteristics listed above. 
     For line and lures, I would call ahead and ask what the hot baits are for the water you will be fishing, along with what is the natural forage in the lake and the water clarity.  If the water is stained you can get away with heavier line which is a good thing when pike are around.  Don't forget the wire leaders if your gonna target pike!!  I have experimented with flourocarbon the last couple of years and like what I am finding.  I use Berkely Vanish and find I do get more strikes with this over mono but I do not like the castability of this line.  There may be a better brand on the market, this is the only one I've tried.  I think the best combination is Fire line and a flouro leader for the best of both worlds.  Lures - walleyes love jigs!!  As for plugs, stick to the long, slender, minnow shaped body styles.  Black/silver, black/gold and perch are always good colors.  Hope this helps, I got a little long-winded there ( work is slow today so I have some time on my hands).  Good luck!

Jigwiggler
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Preacher_man

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2004, 06:37 PM »
 Thanks Josh for all the good advice and tips. I was looking at St.Croix rods today for the walleye. I think I'm going to get a 6'6" Med.Lt. fast action rod. I'll probably pick up a Quantum PT reel to go with it. Spool it with 8# test. As far as line I'll probably just go with Berkley Trilene XL.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:20 PM »
I always carry two rods for walleyes, both 6'6" long and in medium actions. Any rod with a slower more flexible action is your crankbait rod. The stiffer, less flexible rod is more sensitive and sets hooks better, so thus it should be your jig and livebait rod.
I love the Daiwa Regal Z reels. I like the 2500 best. It holds about 210 yards of six pound mono.
As for line, go with limp, six pound mono. If the pike really seem to like your walleye lures, you might need some fireline for leader. It will withstand the teeth of a pike or walleye easily.

Tyler

Jigwiggler

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2004, 07:09 AM »
Preacherman,     
     Sorry, I forgot to add that.  I too use the 2500 series.  St. Croix does make some nice rods :).  I like any of the Trilene lines.  XL is a good choice.  I use the Big Game version alot.  It's tough as nails, really abrasion resistant.  If you watch you can find it in 1/4 lb. spools really cheap.  I think the 10 lb. I have is 1500 yards for about $5.  Can't beat it.  It is a little stiffer than the XL but I like it because it holds up better. 

MD 21's quote about 2 rods is a good idea.  I usually carry 2-3 rigged with different baits so I can switch quickly without having to cut and retie.  Miss a fish on one bait, grab your other rod and throw back with another bait and alot of the time you'll get em'.

Mackdaddy21,
     What pound Fireline are you using?  I experimented with 30lb. as a leader with poor results.  In fact, every musky I hooked bit me off almost immediatley.  I know my knots are good (palomar).  It would be a clean bite off.  I stopped using it after I had a 45"+ musky completly inhale my lure, I set the hook and he made one thrash and was gone.  I'm pretty sure that fish could not have survived as the lure was not down far enough for the gastric acids of the stomach to disolve the hooks.  Made me sick.  I then went back to steel leaders and doubt I will ever change.

Jigwiggler

buzzbomb

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 03:38 PM »
I personally like the Shimano  4000 combos (even though they say light it's really a med action) though I'll use lots of other stuff too, and #6 mono with an inline swivel about 20" up and the 3/8 jigs tied right on.  The 6' rod gives me lots of backbone for the hookset when I'm rip jigging.

TJ

30# Fireline
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 11:58 PM »

What pound Fireline are you using?  I experimented with 30lb. as a leader with poor results.  In fact, every musky I hooked bit me off almost immediatley.  I know my knots are good (palomar).  It would be a clean bite off.  I stopped using it after I had a 45"+ musky completly inhale my lure, I set the hook and he made one thrash and was gone.  I'm pretty sure that fish could not have survived as the lure was not down far enough for the gastric acids of the stomach to disolve the hooks.  Made me sick.  I then went back to steel leaders and doubt I will ever change.

Jigwiggler

I found the same thing with the 30#. It would seem to have something to do with fighting the fish. When it gets tension on the line, it was easy to cut. I run 10/4 Fireline on my rods for walleye & hook up with the odd pike. Dont lose too many with 10/4? Must have something to do with the manufacturing of 30#.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 12:32 AM »
Well I just caught 4 pike yesterday using 14/6 fireline as leader. They would inhale the lure and the leader would get into their mouth. And it wasn't even nicked by their teeth. Not at all.
I have only seen two bite offs ever for pike. And that was with guys using 12 pound mono. Wire leader just affects action of the lure too much, even though the thin wire might not be anymore visible than mono. Does the wire leader that you can tie knots with work okay?
The only way I can cut fireline is with a knife when a lot of tension is on it. Pike may have sharp teeth, but it's not like my knifeblades.
I am keeping the heads of these pike, and am going to use their teeth to do experiments about how their teeth affect line. I know they can cut mono at times though. The only other fish that has ever bit me off is a trout. I catch some trout with bigger teeth than pike. In my mind the teeth of a pike are exaggerated. The reason they bite off in my mind and walleyes, which have the biggest teeth don't, is because of the jaw power pike have.

Tyler

MarcusJ

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 06:00 PM »
For a reel I would go with anything made by Abu Garcia and a rod anything by Quantum.  Thats all I use up here and it has never failed me on a fish. 

TJ

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 01:43 PM »
Hey MD21, where do you live & fish? What do you target most?
The wire leader material you tie yourself is very good stuff.
They make titanium leaders now, wire thin, nearly invisiable
retain their shape over many fish fights.
If you can get your leaders to retain their shape, it will have
no effect on the action of your lure. On a jig, as long as the
snap is not too large for the eyelet, your good to go.
On Raps, remove the split ring & attach directly to the
eyelet of the lure. Rapela them selfs have recommended
running some of their lures directly to a snap.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 02:08 PM »
I find that pike/musky don't really shy away from line or leaders.  I have been looking in to the INVISA leader brand though and may try these in hopes of picking up the occasional large walleye or bass while musky fishing.

Cider

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 02:21 PM »
Mackdaddy - when you use that fireline for leader material how are you tying it on to the mono?  Are you using a surgeon's knot, blood knot, uni knot, albright knot?  How long a leader are you running 18" or more?  That is 14 lb test fireline to 6 lb test mono right?

Here is another part to Preacher_Man's question that needs to be answered...  If you were going to Canada (or anywhere else) on a walleye fishing trip and were limited on gear you can bring, what would you take for lures, jigs, crankbaits?

TJ

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 12:08 PM »

Here is another part to Preacher_Man's question that needs to be answered...  If you were going to Canada (or anywhere else) on a walleye fishing trip and were limited on gear you can bring, what would you take for lures, jigs, crankbaits?

That kind of depends on how far up north he is going but in Aug, cranks will produce as well as jigs & you can cover more water with cranks too.

grumpymoe

« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2004, 07:42 PM »
here's my choice and SHORT.....5 1/2 shimano scimatar graphite with a shimano crestfire low profile baicaster.... combined with spiderwire stealth 12lb test.......i use the improved clinch knot which seems to hold well....and what a hoot when you catch a decent sized northern........small snap swivel and eagle claw @2 hook .......one or two split shot for weight......and bottom bounce a live minnow or leech....almost snag proof until you catch the hook on a log or rubble....for the most part.....is works freely......and nails those tasty eyes.......grump

Grimace

« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2005, 11:00 PM »
5' 4 "   St Croix ultra light   for Jigging

7'0 one peice St.Croix for all else

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.