FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My new Honda kicker rambling  (Read 4330 times)

Mac Attack

My new Honda kicker rambling
« on: Aug 27, 2014, 08:04 AM »
Lots of you already know I added a new Honda 8hp 4-stroke kicker with electric start to my Lund 1650 Rebel XL this past spring.
The boat was bought new late last summer and I paid cash and didn't have enough to get the kicker at the same time so I waited until this year.
Bought the Honda when the snow was still flying and the dealer installed it first thing in early April.
Since day one that Honda has been hard starting and when I could get it running it would run rough.
Not like a typical Honda for sure.
I know......it's under warranty.....take it back.
Well, I wanted to fish, not pack the boat up and drive it 40 miles back to the dealer only to wait 2-3 weeks for my motor to be worked on.
So I decided to just live with it and have it looked at in the Fall before I laid it up for winter storage, if the problem still existed.
Last weekend it simply would not start.
I cranked the heck out of it.
I got it to run maybe for 5 seconds and it would die.
I finally gave up and turned to plan B and used the electric bow mount instead of both the electric and the kicker.
So, again, my Terrova I-pilot saved the day.  I love that motor!!!!
(Although I left the remote back on shore in my shed that day and had to use the foot pedal - not as convenient, but it saved the day)

After fishing I got back on shore and pulled the plugs on the Honda.
They looked fine.
Even though it's a 4-stroke I figured they might be fouled.
Nope.
So I put the transom straps on and installed the transom saver to the motor.
I then gave the trailer wheel bearings a few squirts from the grease gun and hooked it all up to the SUV for the ride back home.
Took it to Anchor Marine that very same night and dropped it off.
Being Sunday night there was nobody around.
When I got home I sent an email to my buddy Leo who works there and told him of my problems.

Monday morning I called and spoke to Dave in service and explained things to him and he promised to look at it right away.
Later that morning Leo (Lee to me) emailed me and said that Dave was done.
Junk in the carb.
?????????????????????????????
It's a new motor!
Also, it's tied into the same main tank on the boat where the big motor drinks from, and the big motor runs fine.
And here's an even bigger also - it is routed through the 2nd outlet of the aftermarket filter/water separator that I installed.
A very good high end 10 micron filter that is also a water separator.
And last but not least, I treat all of my boat fuel with Startron.
I'm a freak about the stupid ethanol in the fuel these days.
Also, sometimes the boat sits for 2-3 weeks without running, so the Startron is excellent insurance.

So I called Dave to have little chat.
He thought it was something there right from the factory.
I said it could have even been a little pipe dope from the installation done by them back in April.
He agreed to that possibility too.
In any event it's fixed under warranty of course (no charge).
And, it was fixed for the long Labor Day weekend coming up.
Less than 1 day turnaround.  Woh!   :o

I love Hondas and Yamahas, but they are still mechanical devices and subject to issues here and there.
So I'm hear to sing the praises of Anchor Marina on Grand Island, NY.
Not because I grew up ( :whistling:) with Lee who works there.
But because this is my 2nd boat from them over the years and they have always taken good care of me.
I'm sure Lee helps, but I have met a lot of people that work there and have formed my own opinion about them.
I have met the owner and she has impressed me as being genuinely concerned about her employees and customers.
And the employees have always taken the extra steps to make sure I was satisfied.
They always gave me the idea that they liked their job and it was easy to do business this way.
Refreshing for sure.

I'll be picking up the boat tomorrow night, on my way back out to our place on Erie for the long holiday weekend.
Can't wait to test that Honda.

So if you live in the WNY area and need a boat or boat work stop in there and ask for Leo and tell him Mac sent you.

Thanks for reading.
Mac

Mac Attack

Re: My new Honda kicker rambling
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2015, 11:10 AM »
I just ordered a new prop for it.
I got the smallest pitch available for the motor.
the idea here is this new prop will allow the kicker to run at a slightly more RPM and give more amps charging.
It should also provide me with better throttle resolution when trying to dial it in with the bow electric.
And maybe even a slower trolling speed while still using the electric and the ipilot.
We'll see how this all plays out.

I even though about taking to Rocky Bottom Prop Shop and having them repitching it even less.
It may be worth a visit there just to discuss it with them.

rebelss

• Northern's for Supper!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2015, 11:36 AM »
Good story! When I bought my Rebel new, the Johnson on it would run rough, and bog out from day one. I checked everything, looked OK. After a week of this, took it back to dealer. He said it was fine. Had about as much faith in their mechanic as I do the Easter Bunny. After being a wrench most of my life, I narrowed it down to a fuel delivery problem. Being it was on warranty, I took it to another dealer I KNEW had good factory mechanics, figured let them fix it. They did...problem? Pinhole in the diaphragm, right from the factory. He said they see it a lot. Put in a new kit, and away I went. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's right.  :-\
"Time is here and gone"....The Doobies

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2015, 03:19 PM »
Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's right.  :-\

Yup!
Good story - thanks.

Spoke to Sandy at Rocky Bottom Prop Shop today via FB.
He said not to repitch, but instead cut the OD and reduce the diameter.
$42-50 roughly.

But we decided I should try the new prop first before cutting it.
It might be fine the way it is.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.