FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Little Wood Shop 2019  (Read 150451 times)

Mac Attack

Re: The Little Wood Shop 2018
« Reply #180 on: Feb 11, 2018, 09:44 AM »
I spent the day in Kenmore and Lockport today. A remembrance for my Bride's sister who passed a couple weeks ago. Very snowy up there. I was happy to get back to good old Macedon Ny.

Rg

Sorry for your loss Bob.
Yea, we got a bit of snow.
I could do without anymore.

Mac Attack

« Reply #181 on: Feb 11, 2018, 03:29 PM »
a lot of this is foam.
Still kind of cool though.

http://www.northeastrodbuilders.com/

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #182 on: Feb 11, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Yeah...some people like the glitzy stuff. Personally, I built rods to fish with. Quality, comfortable components and solid wraps. I've never had one fail.

Meanwhile...back in " The Little Wood Shop"

Got the board grouted, finished the PAWNS and started on the Rooks.

I'm very happy with the changes I made to the design of the pieces.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

tomturkey

« Reply #183 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:18 AM »
I have the set up for building rods that my dad had. Nothing fancy but he turned out some nice rods. I have a few rods he tied for me that I cherish. They are all built on Herter's brown tone blanks all wrapped with variegated silk. I still have a lot of supplies bought from Herter's.

My brother has a rod building shop here in Michigan. He built rods in AK while he lived there. I was at a fishing show here in Michigan wearing a hat with his Alaska logo on it, a long with the rod shop coat from AK. A well know out door writer in Michigan pointed at me and said  "He builds good rods". The outdoor writer had bought a couple of rods from my brother when he was stationed in AK at the same base as my brother. He invited me to bring my brother to the Soo and take us fishing on the Saint Mary's river. Sadly it has not happened.

I have not been able to get at the Chestnut yet due to the weather. I tried to link an online auction to you that had a couple of decoys carved from chestnut to you bout I could not get it to go. The grain in the decoys was really nice.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #184 on: Feb 12, 2018, 04:23 PM »
I've been worked chestnut in the past. American, horse chestnut and even Wormy Chestnut. Dusty, gnarly stuff. But, very pretty if treated well.

I've also built rods on Herter's blanks. Somewhere I still have a bottle of the shellac finish they used to supply.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

tomturkey

« Reply #185 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:27 PM »
I have not had my rod building stuff out in a long time so I have no idea what Herter's stuff I have.

I have 5 Shakespeare Wonder Rods that need redone. I could redo them but I do not have a drier. I could take them to my brothers rod shop to dry them but I could not stand the nasty critique that would come out of his mouth as  no one wraps a rod as good as him. I think I know where there is a rotisserie from a grill that I could make one out of so I can get them done this summer.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #186 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:29 PM »
If you need one, I have a motor and support you can have. I'm done building rods. It'll take me another lifetime to use up the collection I already have.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #187 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Wow you don't see generosity all that much any more .. guess it's just nice to see some one  cares!!

Mac Attack

« Reply #188 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:47 PM »
Bob's a prince

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #189 on: Feb 14, 2018, 04:18 PM »
"Prince of Theives" maybe ;D

Got the bishops all done, turned the first Queen this afternoon. It's getting there.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #190 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:02 PM »
My blanks!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #191 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:06 AM »
Those would be fun to turn.

Chess set progress.
Pawns, rooks, bishops and one Queen complete. Working on the layout for the knights. Also glued up the trim for the board. Still thinking about ways to number and letter the trims for rank and file designation.

Couldn't live with the scroll saw stand I built, so back to square 1. Decided to move the belt disc sander, which I use mostly for sharpening, over next to the lathe.

The scroll saw will get a new stand mounted off the wall with a 2x6 frame. I'll have the potential to fill it with sand if necessary for vibration reduction.

The fold away stand I tried vibrated violently at mid speeds. Completely unacceptable.

There's always room for improvements.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #192 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:38 AM »
the chess set is coming out nice Bob

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #193 on: Feb 15, 2018, 04:51 PM »
Thanks, It's getting there Mac. Took a break to get the scroll saw established. I'll put up some pics of the new stand. Seems very stable and adequate.

It's been an interesting project for sure. Duplication isn't easy. The set isn't perfection, but I didn't expect that. It'll be very playable with a warm feel, contrast in materials and a solid playing field.

When it's done, I'll have to learn to play chess. :clapping: :clapping:

Good for firing the neurons in an old man's brain.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #194 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Tell you what.

Finish it and I'll stop by and teach you.

I'll bring nachos and bourbon.

8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.