FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2 stroke outboard thread  (Read 20499 times)

lowaccord66

Re: 2 stroke outboard thread
« Reply #105 on: Sep 19, 2017, 03:12 PM »
I had read about your setup Mac and ran 2 group 31's wired together for 12v but double the amp hours. 400 amp hours equals 10 hours at full tilt.  So far ive done 7 hours at 1.8-2mph no issues.  However the first time I went to lift the trailer with the batteries in
..I almost moved some guts around.

Mac Attack

« Reply #106 on: Sep 19, 2017, 03:16 PM »
I had read about your setup Mac and ran 2 group 31's wired together for 12v but double the amp hours. 400 amp hours equals 10 hours at full tilt.  So far ive done 7 hours at 1.8-2mph no issues.  However the first time I went to lift the trailer with the batteries in
..I almost moved some guts around.

Yea, I've got two 24's and two 27's (I think) up front.
I use the dolly to crank her up and down.
 8)

Jeff and I have been looking to relocate 2 of the batteries back into the stern.
The bow rides too low and in rough water we get wet (actually Jeff - I have a windshield on my side  ;D).

Maybe do it next spring before we head out for spring browns in Lake O.
We'll see.

porkpiehat

« Reply #107 on: Sep 22, 2017, 07:35 PM »
Question for y'all on kickers...I am using my 6hp tohatsu short shaft on the back of my lund. I've even had to raise it up a bit so that the tiller can ride up over the stern edge on sharper turns. it places the cavitation plate above the bottom of the stern, but I've been assuming its not a big deal as it's the secondary motor. Could this be contributing to the shakiness of the motor? It's a single cylinder so that's most of the problem but otherwise the setup works.

Mac Attack

« Reply #108 on: Sep 22, 2017, 09:36 PM »
I had a single cylinder evinrude 5-stroke
Vibrated like crazy
The cavitation plate needs to be below the hull slightly if you are using it as a primary motor and are running it at high rpm and want the best performance
Trolling is low speed and it's not so important.
Still, you need the front side of the prop clear so it can pull water thru it cleanly.

porkpiehat

« Reply #109 on: Sep 22, 2017, 11:07 PM »

Still, you need the front side of the prop clear so it can pull water thru it cleanly.

Can you explain this last piece? how would the front of the prop not be clear?

joefish1

« Reply #110 on: Sep 23, 2017, 06:37 AM »
Can you explain this last piece? how would the front of the prop not be clear?
  In  other words the prop has to be below the bottom of the boat

Mac Attack

« Reply #111 on: Sep 23, 2017, 03:13 PM »
  In  other words the prop has to be below the bottom of the boat

yup

porkpiehat

« Reply #112 on: Sep 24, 2017, 01:59 PM »
OK fellas hopefully there is something simple I can check here and say the remainder of the fishing trip:

I was trolling all morning with my lights on but the main engine off. After a few hours the battery tried but couldn't turn over. I switched the wires over to my fully charged spare and this time nothing. Lights came on, but no trim, no click on the choke. Pull start didn't work either, although I've never used it since buying the boat in June.

Tow boat said the fuse looked good and we got the same results trying to jump it. This is my Suzuki 2 stroke not my Johnson, but I figure it's something universal. I haven't bought I shop manual yet for it :(

Any thoughts would be appreciated and might save the rest of my fishing weekend. Thanks!

boondox

« Reply #113 on: Sep 25, 2017, 04:48 AM »
OK fellas hopefully there is something simple I can check here and say the remainder of the fishing trip:

I was trolling all morning with my lights on but the main engine off. After a few hours the battery tried but couldn't turn over. I switched the wires over to my fully charged spare and this time nothing. Lights came on, but no trim, no click on the choke. Pull start didn't work either, although I've never used it since buying the boat in June.

Tow boat said the fuse looked good and we got the same results trying to jump it. This is my Suzuki 2 stroke not my Johnson, but I figure it's something universal. I haven't bought I shop manual yet for it :(

Any thoughts would be appreciated and might save the rest of my fishing weekend. Thanks!

Check continuity of ground and power wire to motor make sure they got connection threw them..  had a ground wire break on a Johnson 25 hp would not start or click...  if you moved the ground wire like while working on it she would fire right up..  the wire we had broke inside the cable insulator coating so you could not tell it was broke.. only thing I wonder is the trim hooked threw same wire??  Some times not hooked threw same wire trim is.. ??  If you got a digital multI meter that you can set for diode test this make a beep sound from meter..  when the connection between the meter probe is completed.. so one lead on one end of the wire the other lead at other end.. rember to disconneCT wite from motor and battery to test it .. could be to motor or distribution block that bad so poke around point to point to point till you find some thing.. any how best of luck at it..

Roccus

« Reply #114 on: Sep 25, 2017, 11:55 AM »

... did you turn the key on when you tried the pull start...it may be an ignition switch problem... most outboard manufacturers short the ignition coils to kill the engine... check the engine ground to make sure it is good... if all tests well... disconnect the engine harness... use the manual fuel enrichment and try and start the engine.. if it runs... choke/use the enricher to stop  the engine ...plug the harness back in and retry.. it could have a shorted ignition switch..

Mac Attack

« Reply #115 on: Sep 25, 2017, 01:03 PM »
deadman switch?

You can't imagine how many times this is the culprit.

But if your outboard was supposed to be charging, and it wasn't..................

porkpiehat

« Reply #116 on: Sep 26, 2017, 09:32 AM »
through live support from a facebook buddy, and a paddleboarder that happened to be cruising our cove on his day off, found that a solenoid fuse to the starter was blown. Tinkering with the control box I was able to pull start the motor and enjoy the rest of the weekend until I buy another fuse. Looks like I may have accidentally reversed the terminals when I tried the spare and blown the fuse. Numbnut move if I did but now I know my motor better for it

Appreciate the help!

Mac Attack

« Reply #117 on: Sep 26, 2017, 09:59 AM »
The fuse did its job.

Glad to hear you solved the problem.

boondox

« Reply #118 on: Sep 26, 2017, 01:26 PM »
through live support from a facebook buddy, and a paddleboarder that happened to be cruising our cove on his day off, found that a solenoid fuse to the starter was blown. Tinkering with the control box I was able to pull start the motor and enjoy the rest of the weekend until I buy another fuse. Looks like I may have accidentally reversed the terminals when I tried the spare and blown the fuse. Numbnut move if I did but now I know my motor better for it

Appreciate the help!

Glad it got resloved.. and the fuse saved your day.. lol's

lowaccord66

« Reply #119 on: Sep 28, 2017, 12:07 AM »

Glad it got resloved.. and the fuse saved your day.. lol's

X2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.