FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2 stroke outboard thread  (Read 20518 times)

esox_xtm

• It's SHOWTIME!
Re: 2 stroke outboard thread
« Reply #15 on: Jun 27, 2017, 10:05 PM »
Will do.  See if the evening feed continues.  Line of storms just went through.  Hopefully the last. 

In the meantime a 2 stroke story... Buddy has 2016 Evunride 2 stroke FI.  Hundred hours and the flywheel bolts sheared....ouch.  not fun when brand new outboards tank. 

Now that doesn't make me happy. On the other hand: A.) That's a warranty issue and B:) Why all the hatin' on 2 strokes?

Only 4 I ever ran was my Dad's 40 Honda. Nice motor and heads above the 35 Evinrude it replaced. That said, had a 25 Yamaha that was absolutely golden. Minimal maintenance and always a top performer. Even my mid 90's OMC motors, the 1994 120 was a good one till it popped a ring and the '96 130 was OK but never my favorite for a number of reasons the least of which was reliability. BTW, never had an issue with the VRO/oil injection thing, lotsa hoopla and misinformation around that. Both of the ones I had, already dated by at least 10 years never gave me a lick of trouble. Just sayin'.

We'll see how far this 2016 Etec gets me. Flywheel bolts shear? That sound like some kind of a sudden stoppage at high RPM. I don't know. This one is one of the quietest 2 bangers I've sat in front of, sips gas and oil and has everything I need. Believe me, if I start getting a bad feeling I can admit my mistakes (and they are my mistakes).

Not Fish???      Not an Option!!!                                                                  Go Packers !!! 

lowaccord66

« Reply #16 on: Jun 28, 2017, 07:58 AM »
Not sure what the cause was but it was a warranty job.  I like that motor myself and have recently found a tohatsu 115 direct injection 2 stroke for 3gs that I am going to pursue.

Hookset

« Reply #17 on: Jul 06, 2017, 11:01 AM »
My weedwhacker is a 4-stroke, my outboard is a 2-stroke and I have never had an issue (knock on wood!).  I'm a bit anal when it comes to yearly maintenance items, but she has been an absolute monster.  I have a 2001 Nitro 288 Sport with a Mercury Nitro 200hp XR6. Researching this motor, it seems I own a bit of an odd duck, it is very difficult to find any info on Mercs branded as Nitro.  The boat is just shy of 21' and she'll get to 60 mph in short order and slowly creep up after that. I run a Trophy Stainless Steel 24P, 4-blade prop and the motors runs at about 5500 rpm at WOT.  Idles/trolls great, in reverse also when I chase Lakers.  Love it.  I've thought about the 4 strokes, but I will certainly not fix what isn't broken!  Tight lines and have a safe summer!
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Jul 08, 2017, 06:27 PM »
Ive resolved all of my issues.  Fired up quickly this morning and ran great.  I did a short run of about a mile and then trolled until 9am.  Fired right up then.  Didnt even need to idle up. 

esox_xtm

• It's SHOWTIME!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 08, 2017, 07:48 PM »
oil injection is a scary thing on a 2 stroke. IMO  i feel safer with my mixed gas.  if oil is cut off at high speed that thing could be ruined before you shut it down. with an ingredient as important as that, it shouldnt be subject to mechanical failure.

no mercs and no 4strokes ;D

Only scary if you don't know how to maintain a system.....

Not Fish???      Not an Option!!!                                                                  Go Packers !!! 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2017, 05:08 AM »
I rebuilt my trusty 1985 Johnson 30 a couple years ago. Hard to say how many hours it had on it. I bought it used for $600 in 1988.

I put about $500 in parts in it including water pump impeller and seals, lower unit bearings and seals, motor mounts, carb kit, fuel pump, complete ingnition replacement including pick ups,  mounting plate, module and coils. Compression was in the high range of acceptable so I didn't have to crack the block open.

I even disassembled everything, cleaned and painted the whole thing and replaced the original decals. Fun project for an old tinkerer like me.

Starts cold 3rd pull every time, trolls down to nothing and pushes my boat along at 30 top end. Runs like a new motor.

I can't imagine what a shop would have charged to do what I did.

One thing I've learned is ...the bigger the motor....the bigger the problems and the more they cost to fix. I've had "2 footitis " several times in my life and somehow managed to talk myself out of buying a bigger boat every time. I'm my own best advisor ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

joefish1

« Reply #21 on: Jul 09, 2017, 05:44 AM »
The Yamaha 4-strokes are bullet proof.

No Yamaha fuel injection is not bullet proof.  Had a problem that I chased for four years that the computer said there wasn't anything wrong with the engine ( 40 HP Yamaha ) that a I finally found.  A lot of these so called marine mech's  are just glorified parts changers. 

taxid

« Reply #22 on: Jul 09, 2017, 06:06 AM »
I thought I found a good place to service my Yamaha if need be, but one of the two guys lied to me so I have my doubts. When I was in the market for  a motor one of them said not to buy a Yamaha as it's hard to find parts for them. (Was trying to sell me a new Merc.) I had done some research before that and not only was that not true, but they are pretty much the same motors at the size I was looking at.

Once someone lies to me they lose all credibility.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #23 on: Jul 09, 2017, 09:45 AM »
Oil injection is simply a pump.
A variable rate pump, but still simply a pump.
Same thing as the oil pump in a 4-stroke.

Also, nothing is actually "bullet proof".
Even an oar can suffer a bullet hole.

Mechanical equipment can, and will fail.
Want to avoid that, don't buy it.

Carry on.

;D

fishlessman

« Reply #24 on: Jul 12, 2017, 02:16 PM »
bought my 1991 115 merc new, hope it never dies ;D  to the opp, the small hoses under the cowling have failed on me with the new gas as well as new tank hoses collapsing internally separating

Mac Attack

« Reply #25 on: Jul 12, 2017, 03:41 PM »
bought my 1991 115 merc new, hope it never dies ;D  to the opp, the small hoses under the cowling have failed on me with the new gas as well as new tank hoses collapsing internally separating

Yea, ethanol sux

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Jul 12, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Yea, ethanol sux

It is the worst.  I sold the folks that make stabil, enterprise software for their ERP...Even so I havent receiced the lifetime supply of stabil yet!   :D

Mac Attack

« Reply #27 on: Jul 12, 2017, 07:58 PM »
buy ethanol free gas
ore money but less bs

lowaccord66

« Reply #28 on: Jul 12, 2017, 08:00 PM »
CT is lame Mack its hard to find.  NY you seem to have more options.

Mac Attack

« Reply #29 on: Jul 13, 2017, 05:21 AM »
CT is lame Mack its hard to find.  NY you seem to have more options.

It's still a pain to find and expensive.
Also, it's higher octane in a lot of cases.
But yea.

Oh yea, no "k".

;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.