FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: And....The Battle Begins!  (Read 9829 times)

BLACK ICE

Re: And....The Battle Begins!
« Reply #30 on: Jul 13, 2017, 06:28 AM »

Most of the techniques that are posted kill the beetles but does nothing for further hatching, you have to kill
            the grub that they hatch from. The grub is in the dirt, I did an application of Milky Spores in May then I did
            the recommended second application yesterday for the second hatching, I don't have any beetles so far. According
            to my guy at the nursery said I won't have to apply any more for a few years. I know it's expensive but if it works
            it's worth it! JMO   

taxid

« Reply #31 on: Jul 13, 2017, 04:35 PM »

Most of the techniques that are posted kill the beetles but does nothing for further hatching, you have to kill
            the grub that they hatch from. The grub is in the dirt, I did an application of Milky Spores in May then I did
            the recommended second application yesterday for the second hatching, I don't have any beetles so far. According
            to my guy at the nursery said I won't have to apply any more for a few years. I know it's expensive but if it works
            it's worth it! JMO  

What about them coming in from other areas like on the wind? What kind of size area do they use for a habitat?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #32 on: Jul 13, 2017, 05:37 PM »
My research says they'll come from as far as a mile away. However.......I'm definitely going to do some serious prevention. Milky spores are on the list for consideration.

Only killed 6 or so today. But I know they're in the ground.

Anyway, the gardens are doing very well in spite of the little devils.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #33 on: Jul 13, 2017, 05:46 PM »
My research says they'll come from as far as a mile away. However.......I'm definitely going to do some serious prevention. Milky spores are on the list for consideration.

Only killed 6 or so today. But I know they're in the ground.

Anyway, the gardens are doing very well in spite of the little devils.

Rg

I wonder if part of their success is some animals don't seem to care for the taste or something. Like I said  I tried feeding them to my fish and they weren't interested or spit them out unless they were really hungry.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #34 on: Jul 13, 2017, 06:46 PM »
I've only seen cow birds, catbirds  and starlings foraging in the yard. According to the Audubon Society, blue jays, starlings, sparrows, grackles, crows, catbirds, and eastern kingbirds will eat them.

I've never tasted one....but I can't imagine they'd be palatable.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

esox_xtm

• It's SHOWTIME!
« Reply #35 on: Jul 13, 2017, 09:33 PM »
Strolled past the wild asparagus patch yesterday. Plumb full of the varmints. Didn't like cigar smoke too much... 8) I know, don't do that with the tomatoes. ::)

Not Fish???      Not an Option!!!                                                                  Go Packers !!! 

BLACK ICE

« Reply #36 on: Jul 14, 2017, 06:20 AM »

Here is a short paragraph about the beetle.

During the larval stage, the Japanese beetle lives in lawns and other grasslands, where it eats the roots of grasses. During that stage, it is susceptible to a fatal disease called milky spore disease, caused by a bacterium called milky spore, Paenibacillus (formerly Bacillus) popilliae. The USDA developed this biological control and it is commercially available in powder form for application to lawn areas. Standard applications (low density across a broad area) take from one to five years to establish maximal protection against larval survival (depending on climate), expanding through the soil through repeated rounds of infection.

I live in a woody area and have never seen the beetle in there only in my garden or lawn. as it states they live in lawns and grassland so
            to control them it is important to kill the larva is the best way to control them. That's what Milky Spores is designed to do. The larva eat
            the spore and die, their carcass decays and leave more spore for more larva hatchings to eat and die, that's why they recommend two
            applications in the summer, so far I'm beetle free!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #37 on: Jul 18, 2017, 02:09 PM »
I'm still picking a couple dozen a day off my asparagus and morning glories. They seem to like my strawberries too.

Rg

Spider1

« Reply #38 on: Jul 19, 2017, 07:56 AM »
wow, you guys have it easy. Me and my wife kill a couple hundred or so a day, especially if it's sunny (and it's been sunny all month so far). We walk down the row of 4 hibiscus plants that we have in the backyard and get 10 or 20 from each plant, then turn around and go back doing the same. We can walk back and forth for an hour and not run out of the dang things. And that's just those plants, our garden is toast. They don't seem to like the lilacs though but they love rhubarb and we even get them from the horseradish. And forget about the grape vines. They are done.

We tried Malathion but it did very little, killed them when I sprayed but they were back the next day. It didn't even rain and I saw them munching away at the shrubs I had covered the day before. Thinking of nematodes or milky spore next year. Meanwhile, it's become a hobby just walking around the yard with a bake bean can of soapy water picking bugs off trees. I might try the seven spray for the rest of this season. Do you think the milky spore will help this year if I use it too or is it too late for a treatment like that?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #39 on: Jul 19, 2017, 05:14 PM »
All the research Ive read says it can take 2 to 3 for it to take effect. I killed another 30 or so this afternoon. Malathion will kill them as adults, not as larvae and only when applied directly.

RG

Spider1

« Reply #40 on: Jul 20, 2017, 05:24 AM »
yep, just did a little homework and read that it starts working soon after treatment but takes a year or 2 for full effectiveness. The article I read said that the best time to treat is mid summer to early fall so it looks like I will be treating my lawns in the next week some time. Even saw a video on youtube on making a coffee can applicator that makes it easy. then you need to water the lawn to get the spores down into the dirt. One application is supposed to be good for up to 10 years.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #41 on: Jul 20, 2017, 07:27 AM »
Depends on who's information your looking at. The manufacturer's want 3 applications. But, the timing has to be right. The grubs have to be actively feeding and the soil temperature is a factor as well.

Rg

Spider1

« Reply #42 on: Jul 20, 2017, 09:04 AM »
This manufacturer says one application, summer and early fall.

https://eartheasy.com/milky-spore-powder-japanese-beetle-control-10-oz

these guys say it can take up to 3 years to control the bugs.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/pesticides/what-is-milky-spore.htm

these guys say that the more grubs you have, the faster it will work. He also suggests using nematodes along with milky spore.

http://www.ecolandscaping.org/05/pests-pest-management/controlling-grubs-milky-spore-disease-or-beneficial-nematodes/

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #43 on: Jul 20, 2017, 03:13 PM »
It seems to be all over the chart.

One time application
http://stgabrielorganics.com/product/milky-spore

2 time application
http://stgabrielorganics.com/product/milky-spore-granules-20-lb

Seems like the granular would be the easiest to control coverage with.

My yard is approximately 42,000 square feet. He powder covers 2500 per bag at $35. That's 17 bags @ $600 or so. The stuff better grow a cash crop in addition to killing the bugs.

Rg

Spider1

« Reply #44 on: Jul 21, 2017, 05:16 AM »
yeah, I'm thinking it's either different products or different geographic zones or something.

My yard is only about 10,000sf It's a 1/2 acre but my house, driveway and shed cover a lot of it. The 10oz package covers 2500sf at around $30, but it's sold in a 40oz package also that is a better deal at around $90 and would do my entire yard. Heck, to do a weed and feed program on my little yard for a year costs more than that so I ain't gonna sweat it too much. I guess it's just the price you gotta pay to have a lawn sometimes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.