FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: River Reports  (Read 4106 times)

bigr

River Reports
« on: Jul 18, 2017, 11:24 AM »
Looking at the discharge rates and the dropping water levels of all three upper resi's and knowing the target is summer pool. I would guess by tomorrow morning all three will dramatically decrease the discharge. What that means to me from many yrs of fishing the rivers below the dams and the mighty Wabash I expect terrific fishing for any species for a few days. Float or wade fishing down stream in some of the remote sections should hold tons of fish that migrated up river while the discharge was high and with lower condition right below dam will begin dropping back toward the Wabash. It's been many months since the conditions have been right for what looks like will be an extended time frame. I'm excited to get to my favorite spots once again for some eyes and sauger and  several surprise fish. I'll give an update when I get one. Check the corp site for the latest updates each morning.   

kesdadddy7597

Re: River Reports
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2017, 01:49 PM »
Looking forward to the report. I would like to make it down for some wading here in the next couple of weeks.

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2017, 08:40 AM »
All three lowered discharge as expected. They should lower more each day until level is reached. Discharge from the roush and sally together is 783cfu's. Still alittle high for best fishing in the Wabash. I'm looking for 400 or less with 150 or less being best. Bar any rain this weekend will be good. Stay tuned. 

bherr24

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2017, 11:43 PM »
Fished the eel on mon and tues evening upstream from where it meets the wabash. Caught 4 little smallies, a 15 and a 16 inch walleye and a white bass on mon. Tues evening i caught 4 more smallies but bigger size this time and 2 skipjacks. Was good to see the eyes that far up again..had been over a year since i caught one out of this particular spot. Im sure the extended high water event put them there. I ended up releasing the one keeper i had didnt feel like cleaning just one fish.

abishop

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2017, 12:15 AM »
Does anyone fish the eel river in Logansport below the dam by the indoor carousal? Planning on camping at France Park at the end of the month and occasionally see guys wading out there. Is this where you are talking about?

bigr

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2017, 08:45 AM »
Roush and Sally is now discharging 561cfu's. Missinnawa lessened there's also. As long as we don't get any major rains the missy will shut down alot tomorrow to near normal discharge rate for summer. Roush and Sally will likely maintain current outflow for a couple more days before lessening. With luck they will be at what I call normal summer outflows by Sunday. All rivers are very fishable as of this morning. Water color is not clear but not dirty. Good color for all types of fishing. I'll be going with chartreuse/black crank baits or same color 1/8oz jig/twister combo, might up size to 1/4oz if I'm in more current than I think 1/8oz will get down to. This time of year I'm not afraid to go bigger on size of crank or twister tail. Good luck all and enjoy the cooler water if your wading.  

bherr24

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2017, 03:09 PM »
Does anyone fish the eel river in Logansport below the dam by the indoor carousal? Planning on camping at France Park at the end of the month and occasionally see guys wading out there. Is this where you are talking about?

I fish that area quite a bit. There is a lot of nice smallies in that area, walleye too but they are not in great numbers and require a lot of work to catch.

indianahooker

« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2017, 09:51 PM »
tippy river below oakdale is a great smallmouth walleye water.  if you havent fished it and you live close, your missing out.

bigr

« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2017, 04:13 AM »
Made my first trip to Wabash Salamonie junction. Seven eyes, two skip jacks, one drum. Not bad for a couple hrs of fishing only one legal size eye but all where over fourteen. Water was a good color and felt good to wade with the heat. Water was still alittle high as a knew it would be for best fishing in that area. Hope this storm that is coming doesn't mess things up.   

bigr

« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2017, 08:49 AM »
Rivers should all be good to go by Friday. The corp is working with the Wabash River Defenders to get river level down to a normal low summer level, good for wading, so the clean up that will be happening Saturday morning can be done. Anyone interested in helping out just pm me for details or show up are Paradise Springs in Wabash at 7:30 am.

Walleyechaser96

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2017, 09:00 PM »
Anyone doing any good in the wabash river?

Walleyechaser96

« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2017, 12:55 PM »
Any walleyes being caught at the mississinewa spillway yet?

bigr

« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2017, 01:33 PM »
The corp has not started the draw down yet on the resi. that should happen in the next week to ten days. Once theres more flow the walleye fishing below the dam will pick up. Right now the smallies can be had in the fast moving eddies downstream. I love using live chubs and letting them free line thru the holes. Just upstream from 124 bridge are several good eddies I always fish. I've caught several 4lb plus fish and a few 5lb fish from that 1/2 mile run.

Walleyechaser96

« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2017, 06:07 PM »
5 pound smallie man that's a great fish right there. That's wall material right there!

bigr

« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2017, 05:35 AM »
5lb smallies are rare in Indiana but can be had. Last spring during a high water event a large creek that dumps into the Wabash produced a few over a three or four day period. Creek was running clear and when I walk up on the pools I first thought they were carp they were so big. What a blast sight fishing those hogs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.