FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Favorite downrigger releases for smaller fish?  (Read 4351 times)

taxid

Favorite downrigger releases for smaller fish?
« on: Aug 28, 2017, 05:56 AM »
The clamp ons I have are not the ticket for small fish. Been using rubber bands in the clamp on, but that has it's downsides too.

What are your favorite down rigger releases for smaller fish or light strikes?

Anybody try this one?

http://dev.downriggerrelease.com/products/original.html
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
Re: Favorite downrigger releases for smaller fish?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2017, 06:24 AM »
This is only based on what I saw going out of the bait shop while I worked there....CHAMBERLIN. Almost everyone used them and I never heard any complaints.....h2l

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2017, 06:37 AM »
CHAMBERLIN, I have used them and they are great. Very adjustable for what ever size fish you fish for that day.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2017, 09:51 AM »
Thank you gentlemen.

Will give them a try!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

porkpiehat

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2017, 07:28 PM »
I have the Chamberlain stacker release my only problem is with the mechanism that locks it onto the steel cable. I've been using a cannon release just above it to keep it from sliding up.

Scotty clips seem not to grip too tightly and there are only two setting to fidget with.

Do you guys find you need to make adjustments with braided line vs. mono in the clips?

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2017, 01:40 PM »
I have Chamberlain releases also, including a stacker. Keep wooden toothpicks on hand for the stacker release and wedge them between the cable and the plastic and they won't move. These releases can be set very light and still have good preload on the rod.

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2017, 02:33 PM »
I have the Chamberlain stacker release my only problem is with the mechanism that locks it onto the steel cable. I've been using a cannon release just above it to keep it from sliding up.

Scotty clips seem not to grip too tightly and there are only two setting to fidget with.

Do you guys find you need to make adjustments with braided line vs. mono in the clips?

How is the release sliding up on the cable? The stackers should have a white slide clip on the side which you push on as you slide the stacker up the cable, and it should lock in.

For The OP: chamberlains all the way. Get the stackers as they are more versatile than the ones which attach directly to the ball.

porkpiehat

« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2017, 02:48 PM »
How is the release sliding up on the cable? The stackers should have a white slide clip on the side which you push on as you slide the stacker up the cable, and it should lock in.

For The OP: chamberlains all the way. Get the stackers as they are more versatile than the ones which attach directly to the ball.

The white clip won't engage on this one. Had another one where the white clip seemed to work but the cable wouldn't seat properly in the plastic groove so wasn't an issue. Release works as promised. I'm new to DR fishing so I'm not ruling out user error. I might have thrown up my hands at trying to balance release sensitivity and loading the rod if not for the chamberlains so I'm a fan

zwiggles

« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2017, 03:35 PM »
It could be the cable, but how are you trying to attach the release. You should be applying pressure to the tab (can't remember if it's up or down) and at the same time slide the release up the cable, and you should feel it "seat" on the cable. They also disengage, and slide down to the ball if it hits the rigger boom when your cranking it up.

beerbellybob106

« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2017, 07:49 AM »
Chamberlains work great for light biting walleye where I fish ive also had pretty good luck with roemers too you just cant pre load the rod quite as much with roemers

Scout185

« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Blacks Releases are good as well. Load up the rod and easy to adjust. Chamberlain was going to be my next release, but the Blacks work great for me.

porkpiehat

« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2017, 07:33 PM »
Using an elastic as a shock absorber when fishing with braid and flouro...recommended? or is that negated by the sensitivity of the chamberlain release

porkpiehat

« Reply #12 on: Sep 08, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Blacks Releases are good as well. Load up the rod and easy to adjust. Chamberlain was going to be my next release, but the Blacks work great for me.

do they work the same way in that there are separate tension settings for rod loading and strike force?

finsntins

« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2017, 12:26 PM »
just a simple pinch pad attached to the back of the rigger weight works fine for me.even if the fish is to small to pop it out of the release,you will see your rod dancing.then you just pop it out and fish on.the lighter the rod the better.
MISS B.HAVEN' SPORT FISHING

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2017, 12:49 PM »
just a simple pinch pad attached to the back of the rigger weight works fine for me.even if the fish is to small to pop it out of the release,you will see your rod dancing.then you just pop it out and fish on.the lighter the rod the better.

You obviously don't catch as small a fish as we do in Indiana.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.