FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: trolling rod  (Read 4891 times)

memtsman

trolling rod
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:39 PM »
Hi all, my leadcore trolling set up finally died. It was a 1970 something outfit. Any suggestions for a replacement set up? Many changes in recent years and lead core isn't as popular as it used to be. I still like it and want a new rod and reel. It should hold at least 12 colors and the rod should be of a medium action. Thanks all.

stguy

Re: trolling rod
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:08 PM »
I have several rigs I use for lead core, my favorite is a shimano mooching reel on a 10'-6" shimano convergence mooching rod, medium action. The mooching reels are nice for their capacity, but they are not geared.... 1:1 ratio takes a little patience when your out 15 colors.

The older penn 309's and 409's with the stainless spool work really well for leadcore as well, they have a little more line capacity than the new ones with the plastic spool. I've got a few of them and I pick them up at yard sales and craigslist for 10 to 20 bucks.

I know some guys that are using the okuma convectors and they have had good luck with them.

I've tried a few new reels, but I seem to get better results buying older stuff that's got some character.

As far as rods, most any trolling rod that is not yellow will work, I prefer them long and flimsy at the tip, gets them further away from the boat and telegraphs your lures action better.

hardwatergrampa

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:04 AM »
not yellow   those cheap rods have put a lot of fish in many boats 

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:19 AM »
I have two lead core set ups on those yellow star fire rods, and they work great. Very cheap, ktp usually has a really good sale on them in the spring. Bought them as they were cheap a few years ago trying to outfit our boat, and have had no reason to change.

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2018, 05:12 PM »
Don't know if these fit your build or not? I fish large salmon. And steel head in lake michigan..  with these rods get a nice 30 pound king and let it run.. lol's .. any how is there a cabelas to check them out at by you??  if not I would wait on them.. any how the one we had was a 8 foot 6 inch 2 piece medium action "a" model handle good for 10 to 20 pound test..  I think the medium lite is 8 to 20 pound and too soft..  but if fishing like us your going to want the medium action like your thinking.. these are very cheap rods in price but with high quality componets.. they got to be losing money producing them?? any how here is a link to them there not soft like eagle claw yellow rods..  but are graphite unlike yellow rods.. yellow rods  are made of  fiber glass graphite composite ..and these the prices are similar... 
As for reels a diawa sealing or accudepth in like a sealine lc5 size 47..  it should work 12 colors is a awful lot I think it will??  but might have to get a different reel that's bigger?? I think the 57 size  might work too if they stI'll make sell it?? In either the accudepth or sealine series reels.. heres a link to the rods for $29.99 that better then the reel at $130 I am suggesting..

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/fishing-rods/trolling-rods/pc/104793480/c/104764680/sc/104656680/cabelas-depthmaster-reg-trolling-rods/727531.uts?slotId=0

These should hold the line a sealine 57 size

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/fishing-reels/trolling-reels/pc/104793480/c/104760180/sc/104652180/daiwa-sealine-b-linecounter-reel/1395173.uts?slotId=8

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:27 PM »
ive been using this reel with a dragmaster upgrade, this reel has the drag upgrade. also been using copper walleye line over the lead but its not for everyone ;D  the moochers, the 209/309 penns work well, i dont really need a great drag for landlocks. for 12 colors the 209 is small but there really is no need for more than 5 or 6 colors of lead. the yellow rods dont have the action like newer graphite rods but the yellow rods are indistructable

https://capt-chuck.com/shop/fishing-gear/okuma-coldwater-cw453d/

boondox

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:26 PM »
ive been using this reel with a dragmaster upgrade, this reel has the drag upgrade. also been using copper walleye line over the lead but its not for everyone ;D  the moochers, the 209/309 penns work well, i dont really need a great drag for landlocks. for 12 colors the 209 is small but there really is no need for more than 5 or 6 colors of lead. the yellow rods dont have the action like newer graphite rods but the yellow rods are indistructable

https://capt-chuck.com/shop/fishing-gear/okuma-coldwater-cw453d/

Are you talking old usa made Penns or newer China made??  We have been having problems were I fish at the guys at Anderson pro bait in port huron won't even carry them cause they break so easily..  but the older usa made penn hold there place in time.. seems there useing cheaper metals on the Chinese Penns..   penn must have thought no one would notice??  or there supplier did??  I do got newer warfare reels that work great..  same with my penn pursuit 2 spinning model 8000 reels..  there casting 2.25 pound sinkers all day all the time..  no problems reeling them in either.. I know there making a new reel called the rival..  that has good reviews.. I don't want to suggest it cause its new..  my brother ran those lc3 diawa sealine 57 size on his Caralina classic before he sold it 2 years ago the older gray and black diawa sealines.. but kids were getting in the way of using the boat so he sold it.. but ya the older penn were great reel but the new ones are absolute crap..

fishlessman

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:57 PM »

Are you talking old usa made Penns or newer China made??  We have been having problems were I fish at the guys at Anderson pro bait in port huron won't even carry them cause they break so easily..  but the older usa made penn hold there place in time.. seems there useing cheaper metals on the Chinese Penns..   penn must have thought no one would notice??  or there supplier did??  I do got newer warfare reels that work great..  same with my penn pursuit 2 spinning model 8000 reels..  there casting 2.25 pound sinkers all day all the time..  no problems reeling them in either.. I know there making a new reel called the rival..  that has good reviews.. I don't want to suggest it cause its new..  my brother ran those lc3 diawa sealine 57 size on his Caralina classic before he sold it 2 years ago the older gray and black diawa sealines.. but kids were getting in the way of using the boat so he sold it.. but ya the older penn were great reel but the new ones are absolute crap..

i should have clarified that better, my penns are old old.  the two i regularly use are the green ones made for charter boats back in the 1950's or there abouts. monofil 26's

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:10 PM »
just googled penn 26 green on ebay, maybe i should retire those two reels :o

boondox

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:17 PM »
just googled penn 26 green on ebay, maybe i should retire those two reels :o

I would not cause they don't make them like they use to..

stguy

« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05:55 PM »

https://capt-chuck.com/shop/fishing-gear/okuma-coldwater-cw453d

I've had 6 or so of those yellow trolling rods and every one of them has fallen apart, the tips come off, the inserts in the guides come out, had one that the two halves didn't fit tight and would randomly come apart, and the rings on reel seats split, I do however have a yellow ultralight spinning rod that I got in the early 80's that has been bullet proof, made in USA though.

We have a rule on my boat now, nothing yellow, especially bananas and rods.

I have a couple of the Eagle claw Wright/Mcgill trolling rods that are made in the US that I really like on my downriggers and would probably work well for lead core, and they won't break the bank. The handles on them are golf club handles, I'm not a golfer but they are nice.

I think pound for pound and dollar for dollar, the new Ugly stik Bigwaters are about the best value for trolling rods, they have one piece guides now and the gimbal but caps work good for keeping the reel up if you have the right rod holders, I'll probably get crucified for this but I like them as much as my Shimano Teloras, maybe even a little more, they're made in the same place so I guess it is a fair comparison.

If he's trolling for salmon 12 colors may be a bit over kill, but if he's going after lakers I wouldn't want any less, when the downriggers aren't working for me, I'll let out 20 colors and get into my backing, it's kinda like work but it usually pays off with "double digits" ;) ;)

I had a good friend pass away last year and I ended up with all of his fishing gear, he had "a few" old Penn reels, I researched them to give his wife a fair price for them and I was shocked to see what some of them were selling for, I have started collecting them now, kind of a neat hobby.

One of the reels is a 14/0, we call it the winch.

JDK

« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:51 AM »
I picked up a Dawia Accudepth rod on sale at Dicks last year and like it a lot.  Other than that I tend to use the older "yellow" or Cabelas depthmaster rods.
# SAND

seamonkey84

« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2018, 10:44 AM »
I have my lead core on a 8wt fly rod and reel setup. I scored when I found them at Mardens last year when they got their open water stuff in. Takes a bit of time to pull in the fish, but when fishing deeper it doesn’t hurt to ease them up.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Steve H.

« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2018, 01:51 PM »
Yellow rod, drink!!
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

touge30

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2018, 05:56 PM »
find a good 330gti 19 colors and leader fills it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.