FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Early spring  (Read 5125 times)

rivereddy

Re: Early spring
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:13 AM »
Typical winter here in "Tweener" land.  January's cold snap brought 10 inches of clear ice and 10 days later, with temps in the 60's it got trashed.  The ice stuff came out of the truck and into the garage....but not returned to the basement yet. We have had years in central Indiana where we were on the ice in mid March and there's plenty of February ahead.

We have all kinds of wildflowers in our yard and the first one to bloom is a little yellow job  called "winter aconite"  Believe it or not we found the first blossoms about two weeks later that usual.  I start looking for it in mid January. This year we didn't see any until the 28th.  There are other signs that the year is moving on.  The fox squirrels are getting friendly and the male cardinals, while they mix at the feeders, are singing their territorial songs at down.  I may have to drive my route and look for road killed skunks.... If I see 3 of 'em, its time to start stream fishin walleye.

fish on, sectionals week, snow forecast, fish off

rivereddy

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:18 AM »
I've seen Alconites in my area. I don't have any planted ....yet. The Bluebirds have been in and out of the boxes the past week. Still seems early for them to return, but they probably know more than I do about the weather.

I like your "skunk theory"👍

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:26 AM »
, snow forecast,

rivereddy

Yup we got two inches of snow this am so jury is still out hopeing for a early spring just like every one else..

Mac Attack

« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:39 AM »

I like your "skunk theory"👍

Rg

I smelled a couple this past weekend.

boondox

« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2018, 11:04 AM »
I smelled a couple this past weekend.

Did that about two weeks ago too..

sisabdulax

« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:42 PM »
I wish I can say we had a winter. Hardly any ice! Kinda ready to summerize the auger and get the boat out!!!

boondox

« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:32 PM »
I wish I can say we had a winter. Hardly any ice! Kinda ready to summerize the auger and get the boat out!!!

But it was better then nothing.. cause less people got to fish smelt this year then last and year before..etc so smelt pops are coming back around here we ice jig for smelt.. and no ice mean healthier fish cause they eat smelt too..

big_guy_13021

« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2018, 11:04 PM »
I dunno i mite have to dig my ice gear out again a few of the lakes i fish have 8 inches of ice and 1 has 6 so maybe one more time out this weekend in a cold snap again grrrr

big_guy_13021

« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2018, 11:04 PM »
I should b able to pull my shanty now my hip is much better but im still hesitant

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:01 PM »
Looks like you can take your time to heal up. It's gonna stay cold for a while.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:42 PM »
Looks like you can take your time to heal up. It's gonna stay cold for a while.

Rg

shaddap!

8)

big_guy_13021

« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:12 PM »
Yea i see the cold for awhile..im gonna take a trip to good yr lake this weekend or next...i have my side kick bigal going also...fun lake to fish ...limit is only 25 gills. 25 perch but they are quite big in there..some nice eyes and crappie also...i lived down there for 8 yrs for a job and i learned that lake very well open water and ice...i think trapper wants in to...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2018, 04:43 PM »
The groundhog  says 6 more weeks......I concur.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:42 PM »
The groundhog  says 6 more weeks......I concur.

Rg

at least

:'(

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:20 AM »
Looks like you  buffalonians are gonna get belted with snow again. My guess is most or all of it will miss us completely.  ;D

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.