FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Engine issue - 90hp Johnson  (Read 7670 times)

boondox

Re: Engine issue - 90hp Johnson
« Reply #30 on: Apr 27, 2018, 11:24 AM »
Maybe add a injector cleaner like Lucas or gum out injector cleaner..  before you fill it up..  if carbs varnished a little the fuel cleaner may help?? Then just run it get it cleaned out.. or pull carb or fuel pump  if bad?? cause to me it sounds like it's starving for fuel.. that is if the gas is not bad?  By the way you said you have to throtle it to keep it running.. then  when you dropped the hammer it bogged and stalled..  from insufficient fuel or bad fuel.. wich could be  the carb jets could be plugged or some thing like a fuel pump if it has one?? So iF It Not The Fuel Pump The INJECTOR Cleaner Will help..

Mac Attack

« Reply #31 on: Apr 27, 2018, 01:11 PM »
Maybe add a injector cleaner like Lucas or gum out injector cleaner..  before you fill it up..  if carbs varnished a little the fuel cleaner may help?? Then just run it get it cleaned out.. or pull carb or fuel pump  if bad?? cause to me it sounds like it's starving for fuel.. that is if the gas is not bad?  By the way you said you have to throtle it to keep it running.. then  when you dropped the hammer it bogged and stalled..  from insufficient fuel or bad fuel.. wich could be  the carb jets could be plugged or some thing like a fuel pump if it has one?? So iF It Not The Fuel Pump The INJECTOR Cleaner Will help..

seafoam  boon

lowaccord66

« Reply #32 on: Apr 27, 2018, 01:16 PM »
Air in the fuel lines does that too.  No amount of foam from the sea or otherwise will fix that. 

Mike is that a 2 stroke 90 with vro?

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #33 on: Apr 27, 2018, 01:46 PM »
Air in the fuel lines does that too.  No amount of foam from the sea or otherwise will fix that. 

Mike is that a 2 stroke 90 with vro?

Yes it is Jon.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #34 on: Apr 27, 2018, 01:47 PM »
Filled her up with new gas, 93. Going to give her a whirl in a few. If its not the gas, 1 down and more to go. lol
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #35 on: Apr 27, 2018, 02:02 PM »
Yes it is Jon.

Definetly read about VRO pump and the diaphram.  Mine went last year.  If you get her idling and someone pumps the ball and you then have throttle...then it could be the vro pump failing.  I premix and replaced the Vro pump with a mechanical one for fuel only.

Higher octane is not going to change a thing btw. The only thing higher octane prevents is pre-ignition aka detonation.  It wont make your engine run better unless your timing is wicked advanced thus calling for a higher octane rating.  Fresh 87 would have done the trick too! 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #36 on: Apr 27, 2018, 02:24 PM »
Jon - Already tried pumping the ball while idling and in throttle and no bueno. Ball is hard the whole time and fuel is flowing yet she stalls out. I really think it may be bad gas but i wont know for sure until i run her for a bit tonight with new fuel.

Whats the easiest way to post a video on here from my phone?
Wicked Wec

Mac Attack

« Reply #37 on: Apr 27, 2018, 02:46 PM »

Whats the easiest way to post a video on here from my phone?

Put it on youtube and post the link to it here.

dukhnter8

« Reply #38 on: Apr 30, 2018, 01:30 PM »
My mechanic told me the biggest difference with the 93 octane is it is better gas less crude in it and that is the only non ethanol I can find.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #39 on: Apr 30, 2018, 02:07 PM »
Well I can report that I changed the fuel, new spark plugs, and let her run for a while and the problem is still not solved. I think I have done all I can with the allotted time. Now its a matter of getting her into the shop because my best guess at this point is something to do with the Carbs. Weather looks good tomorrow and Wednesday so its time to paint her and then get the engine worked on.
Wicked Wec

Bottombouncer

« Reply #40 on: Apr 30, 2018, 02:22 PM »
I had a problem like that with my motor. The plastic float bowl on the carbs warped at the gasket and let the carb suck air. Replaced with brass and problem solved!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #41 on: Apr 30, 2018, 03:29 PM »
I had a problem like that with my motor. The plastic float bowl on the carbs warped at the gasket and let the carb suck air. Replaced with brass and problem solved!

Worth a shot, I will take a look.
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2018, 08:36 AM »
good god!!!!! they using plastic float bowls now!?  lmao

for a long time now, they have made engines run so lean, it doesnt take much to flub them up.  i had a push mower several years ago that i had to poke the jet hole out(just hole in float bowl bolt) every 4th or 5th mow.  the gas seemed to jell up in the tiny little hole, and not enough suction to clear it.

did you spay carb cleaner in it and poke out any passage holes you can get to, without taking it too much apart? i dont know how the new ones are put together, but this perfect example-- (skip to 3:30 in vid to see.)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5cxBMDezuU

Walboro and Tillotson both have have making plastic carb bowls and components for over 20 years... Rochester made some on the Quadrajet Carbs back in the 70's..

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2018, 08:51 AM »
fishogger I did and no luck. She is currently at the shop and should be worked on this week. I did all I could and pretty much figured out the carbs are the issue and probably need some deep cleaning. Just something i rather have a pro work on at this point for 2 reasons... 1) I honestly do not want to mess it up and 2) I have been so busy after work every evening working on the boat, motor, garden, etc etc that I want to spend some evenings with my boy. Growing way too fast and need some bonding time. That kid means the world to me and now is the time to teach him what I know and just have fun.

Gunnar Michael 17 months

Working on the Garden

Knocked out mid meal.... priceless.

Wicked Wec

Mac Attack

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2018, 09:10 AM »

2) I have been so busy after work every evening working on the boat, motor, garden, etc etc that I want to spend some evenings with my boy. Growing way too fast and need some bonding time. That kid means the world to me and now is the time to teach him what I know and just have fun.

Best reason in the world.
Say no more.
Good luck on the motor.
Let us know what they found after you get it back.

I love fishing with my kids.
Here is my oldest son Jeff last Sunday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.